Infinite amount of matter in the universe?

In summary: No - in this analogy, application of 'cosmological principle' to the surface of the Earth would prompt the ancient people to conclude that the Earth does not have an edge, and instead that the surface is a continuous plane. Either infinite or curved.
lifeonmercury
If the universe is indeed flat and the cosmological principle holds true, does this mean that there is an infinite amount of space in the universe as well as an infinite amount of matter?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes.

Edit: Merged another thread into this one.

Last edited:
Yes it does.

It appears that most scientists subscribe to the flat universe theory and believe in the cosmological principle. This means that our most up-to-date scientific findings suggest that it is more likely than not that space and matter just keep going on and on forever in all directions. That is quite a difficult one to comprehend.

Likes K. Doc Holiday and Lamonte Johnson
There is no "flat universe theory". Our cosmological models allow a curvature, but measurements so far have been in agreement with a flat universe, with increasing precision over time. It does not have to be exactly flat, but at least very close to it. Experimentally that difference doesn't matter, so you can often just assume that the universe is flat. It does not mean that it has to be exactly flat.
lifeonmercury said:
and believe in the cosmological principle.
It is expected, based on existing measurements.

mfb said:
It is expected, based on existing measurements.
And a lot of extrapolation. In Ancient times, by similar reasoning people might think that the Earth is flat and infinite.

Likes K. Doc Holiday, no-ir and OCR
Are there any scientific models that predict a finite, bounded universe (such as one with a center and edges/borders)? I recall reading about a theory claiming that the universe is a sphere surrounded by a black hole state at the edges.

Likes K. Doc Holiday and Na0s
lifeonmercury said:
Are there any scientific models that predict a finite, bounded universe (such as one with a center and edges/borders)?
no
I recall reading about a theory claiming that the universe is a sphere surrounded by a black hole state at the edges.
this is nonsense

Likes CalcNerd
Demystifier said:
And a lot of extrapolation. In Ancient times, by similar reasoning people might think that the Earth is flat and infinite.
No - in this analogy, application of 'cosmological principle' to the surface of the Earth would prompt the ancient people to conclude that the Earth does not have an edge, and instead that the surface is a continuous plane. Either infinite or curved.
Providing they applied the same measurement analysis we do now, they could also measure the curvature to within some error margin.

The main difference between us and the analogy, though, is in the fact that the ancients could expand the base of their measurements to cover the whole surface. We, on the other hand, are restricted in how big a space can we use as a base for our measurements, since in our universe there exists an event horizon (mere <50% farther than the farthest objects we see now). Which is to say, while given enough effort the ancients could verify whether the application of the principle to Earth was valid globally, we won't be able to do the same with respect to the universe. Our choice to apply the principle to areas outside our potentially observable universe will be always based on mere parsimony, i.e. aesthetics.

lifeonmercury said:
Are there any scientific models that predict a finite, bounded universe (such as one with a center and edges/borders)? I recall reading about a theory claiming that the universe is a sphere surrounded by a black hole state at the edges.
This might help:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/universe.html
It ties a bit to the argument about applicability of the cosmological principle mentioned above.

The ancients had good reason to believe Earth was of finite size. The moon was one obvious clue and lunar eclipses sealed the deal by around 500 BC. The shadow of the Earth on the moon was clearly curved suggesting it too is spherical. Eratosthenes is credited with deducing a fairly precise figure for Earth's circumference [40,000 Km] around 240 BC. Modern man has also arrived at a fairly precise figure for the size of the observable universe. There are some obvious practical difficulties in measuring the size of the unobservable universe. We have already tried the ancient approach by measuring the curvature of space. All we have managed to figure out is it must be really big - which, of course, assumes the classical rules of geometry apply to the whole of the universe. For a more comprehensive discussion on ancient measurements of the size of earth, see http://www.metrum.org/measures/measurements.htm

Likes K. Doc Holiday
Infinite matter makes as much sense as a singularity of infinite energy. I understand this is what the math predicts, but it is non-sensical to me; LQC seems to offer a reasonable explanation for the source and destination of matter/energy.

stoomart said:
Infinite matter makes as much sense as a singularity of infinite energy.
Then you must of necessity believe that the universe cannot be infinite. You MIGHT be right but you can't prove it so that's just a personal opinion, not science.

EDIT: I assume you know by now that when it comes to cosmology (the very large) and Quantum Mechanics (the very small) human "intuition", "common sense", and so forth are less than worthless, they can actually get in the way of your understanding of reality.

phinds said:
Then you must of necessity believe that the universe cannot be infinite. You MIGHT be right but you can't prove it so that's just a personal opinion, not science.
Agreed, the same is true for both sides of the argument. I think threads discussing infinite time/space/energy are too philosophical in general. It's one thing to say "this is what the math predicts", and another to say "this is what must be": my understanding is the latter is a scarce luxury.
I approach all topics from the perspective that common sense is attainable, even in the absence of observable evidence. In this case, scientific observation predicts the universe had a beginning and common sense tells me it's finite.

We are unavoidably prisoners of human intuition. It is the bedrock of all intellectual pursuits. Intuition certainly leads us down dead end roads, where the error of our ways are exposed by paradoxes and infinities, but, that is the price that of admission to the frontiers of knowledge. That same intuition, however, warns us of the peril of forcing nature to comply with our personal preferences. Only by confronting these issues is progress achieved. The answers are not necessarily 'pretty', 'natural' or reflect any deeper, hidden order that satisfies any such expectations. As Freud might say, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. You need not comprehend the nature of things to acknowledge their reality.

Likes stoomart
stoomart said:
... scientific observation predicts the universe had a beginning ...
I'm not aware of any such. Citations? Our currently accepted model of the universe, the Big Bang Theory, is agnostic on the subject of a creation event.

phinds said:
I'm not aware of any such. Citations? Our currently accepted model of the universe, the Big Bang Theory, is agnostic on the subject of a creation event.
I'm not talking about a creation event, I'm referring to the big bang.

lifeonmercury said:
If the universe is indeed flat and the cosmological principle holds true, does this mean that there is an infinite amount of space in the universe as well as an infinite amount of matter?
Sort of, but only if it is exactly flat and the cosmological principle is exactly true.

The former we cannot ever be sure of, because our measurement accuracy will always have some non-zero error.
The latter we definitely know is false locally, but works pretty well for large scales within the observable universe. The cosmological principle may break down on scales much larger than our cosmological horizon, but we have no way to know at present.

Basically, as others have stated, this means that the precise answer to your question is yes. The problem is that this requires making two unfounded assumptions that we have no reason to believe are true, so this is a trivial statement: yes, if you assume the universe is infinite, then it's infinite. It's true but content-free.

Likes stoomart
stoomart said:

Big Bang theory does not say that Universe definitely had a beginning. It merely says that there was a much denser, and much faster expanding state in the past. It is generally understood that before that, "something else" was happening. This "something else" can possibly extend infinitely far into the past. One class of such theories are eternal inflation theories.

stoomart said:
Which is exactly what I am talking about. See, the clue was when I said "Our currently accepted model of the universe, the Big Bang Theory"

nikkkom said:
Big Bang theory does not say that Universe definitely had a beginning. It merely says that there was a much denser, and much faster expanding state in the past. It is generally understood that before that, "something else" was happening. This "something else" can possibly extend infinitely far into the past. One class of such theories are eternal inflation theories.
Thanks nikkkom, this is similar to the idea I subscribe to: something along the lines of sequential universes or a multiverse, just not an infinite universe.

phinds said:
Which is exactly what I am talking about. See, the clue was when I said "Our currently accepted model of the universe, the Big Bang Theory"
Ok sorry, I think the problem is my definition of the universe as the current instance of sequential universes, or a closed system connected to a multiverse.

stoomart said:
Ok sorry, I think the problem is my definition of the universe as the current instance of sequential universes, or a closed system connected to a multiverse.
And that may well in fact be the case BUT ... it is not currently accepted theory (the Big Bang Theory is) and so is not what physicists normally mean by "the universe".

phinds said:
And that may well in fact be the case BUT ... it is not currently accepted theory (the Big Bang Theory is) and so is not what physicists normally mean by "the universe".
Is there an FAQ or an accepted source that explains the why physicists accept the universe to be infinite?

stoomart said:
why physicists accept the universe to be infinite?
That is not what happens. Physicists accept the possibility that the universe could be infinite. We simply do not know today.

An infinite universe is the easiest model that is not in disagreement with observations, but it is not the only one.

Likes stoomart
stoomart said:
Is there an FAQ or an accepted source that explains the why physicists accept the universe to be infinite?
As mfb has already pointed out, physicists do NOT accept that as fact. The Big Bang Theory does not posit an infinite universe.

mfb said:
That is not what happens. Physicists accept the possibility that the universe could be infinite. We simply do not know today.

An infinite universe is the easiest model that is not in disagreement with observations, but it is not the only one.
Fair enough, thanks guys.

Is there any consensus about whether it will ever be possible to determine with certainty if the universe is in fact infinite?

Last edited:
lifeonmercury said:
Is there any consensus about whether it will ever be possible to determine with certainty if the universe is in fact infinite?
The consensus, I believe, is that since we cannot see, and will never be able to see, outside of the Observable universe, we can never know for sure that the universe is infinite. We may be able to say, based on solid evidence, that is almost certainly has to be infinite but we will never know for sure.

Likes stoomart
stoomart said:
Thanks nikkkom, this is similar to the idea I subscribe to: something along the lines of sequential universes or a multiverse, just not an infinite universe.

What's the problem with infinite Universe? Do you also have difficulty with infinite real line? Infinite number of natural numbers?

OK, so the idea is that we could never develop good enough technology to see past the cosmic horizon. However, if the universe is actually finite and wrapped around the 4th dimension, would there be some way of proving that (given that we haven't been able to thus far and it may be more difficult to do so in the future due to the continued expansion of space)?

lifeonmercury said:
OK, so the idea is that we could never develop good enough technology to see past the cosmic horizon. However, if the universe is actually finite and wrapped around the 4th dimension, would there be some way of proving that (given that we haven't been able to thus far and it may be more difficult to do so in the future due to the continued expansion of space)?
There is absolutely zero evidence of such a thing.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Yes.

Edit: Merged another thread into this one.

But if there is a infinite amount of matter, wouldn't that require new energy to be constantly made forever, violating the law of energy conservation?

ChrisisC said:
But if there is a infinite amount of matter, wouldn't that require new energy to be constantly made forever, violating the law of energy conservation?
(1) How do you figure that? I don't get that conclusion at all
(2) Irrespective of whether or not the universe is infinite, "dark energy" is being created constantly
(3) The law of conservation of energy does not apply on cosmological scales.

Last edited:
lifeonmercury said:
Yes, and in fact scientists have looked for evidence of that (repeating structures in the cosmic microwave background). No indication of that has been found.
ChrisisC said:
No. There is no need to "make new energy" (this is identical for a finite and an infinite universe), and global conservation of energy does not hold in general relativity anyway.

phinds said:
(1) How do you figure that? I don't get that conclusion at all
(2) Irrespective of whether or not the universe is infinite, "dark energy" is being created constantly
(3) The law of conservation of energy does not apply on cosmological scales.

If the law of energy conservation does not apply on a cosmological scale... where does the new energy come from?