InFinding heat transfer coefficient experimentally

This can help you find the heat transfer coefficient by using Q=h*A*delta-T, where Q is the heat transfer rate, h is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, and delta-T is the temperature difference. You can use thermocouples to measure the temperature on both the inside and outside of the box and plot that data over time to find the heat transfer rate. Then, solving for h should be straightforward. There are also heat flux sensors available, but they may not be necessary for this project. In summary, you can use Newton's law of cooling and thermocouples to find the heat transfer coefficient and rate in your project of constructing a cubic box and testing different objects inside.
DinoRF
I'm working on a project where I have to construct a cubic box, then find the heat transfer coefficient through the box. I will be placing various object in the box to run tests on how they change the eat transfer coefficient. If I want to use the equation: Q=h*A*delta-T, how do I find Q, the heat transfer rate?

I'm thinking I will have thermocouples on the outside surface and on object on the inside of the box. I'll treat all the space in between as a single resistance, since I'm not worried about the heat transfer coefficient with respect to convection, radiation, or conduction, but rather the overall coefficient.

If I got the data for the outside temperature and the inside temperature and plotted that vs. time, would the Q just be the difference divided by the time of that difference?

Once I get Q, then solving for h should be simple.

I've also seen heat flux sensors, but those are expensive and I think and hope they are unnecessary.

-Matt

Science news on Phys.org
You might be able to use Newton's law of cooling.

Related to InFinding heat transfer coefficient experimentally

1. What is the purpose of finding heat transfer coefficient experimentally?

The purpose of finding heat transfer coefficient experimentally is to determine the rate at which heat is transferred between two or more objects. This is important in various industries such as engineering, manufacturing, and energy production, as it helps in designing efficient systems and processes.

2. What are the methods used to measure heat transfer coefficient experimentally?

There are several methods used to measure heat transfer coefficient experimentally, including the heat flux method, the cooling curve method, and the transient hot-wire method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific experiment and the materials being used.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of experimental heat transfer coefficient measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of experimental heat transfer coefficient measurements, such as the type and placement of sensors, temperature gradients, surface roughness, and environmental conditions. It is important to carefully control these factors and conduct multiple trials to ensure accurate results.

4. How can the heat transfer coefficient be calculated from experimental data?

The heat transfer coefficient can be calculated using the experimental data by using equations that relate the heat flux, temperature difference, and material properties. These equations may vary depending on the method used to measure the heat transfer coefficient, but they all involve taking measurements and plugging them into the appropriate formula.

5. What are some common sources of error in heat transfer coefficient experiments?

Some common sources of error in heat transfer coefficient experiments include measurement errors, variations in environmental conditions, and assumptions made in the calculation equations. It is important to carefully control and account for these sources of error to obtain accurate results.