Inertia is directly proportional to mass

In summary, Frank is arguing that inertia is a property of mass, while Tom is arguing that inertia is a property of charge. Tom is also asking how to add electrons to matter and how to strip electrons from matter.
H8wm4m
I say inertia is directly proportional to mass
Frank says inertia is directly proportional to charge

Of course we alll know I am right, but I would like to prove Frank wrong anyways. Instead of going to wikipedia and laughing in his face, (as is standard procedure) I would like to conduct an experiment.

Im not too keen on this science business, but I assume this would involve stripping a body of electrons, leaving an overall posotive charge; or adding electrons to a body, giving it a negative charge

In short, these are the questions I need answering:
How would I add electrons to matter
How would I strip electrons from matter
How would I sustain this charge
How would I measure inertia
What sort of material should I use

Im not asking if this is worth my time, I am asking how I would do it

Physics news on Phys.org
this is so ludicrous. inertia is a property of mass, plain and simple. you don't need wikipedia, you need an 8th grade science book.

Right - it isn't a property of mass, it is mass.

This idea about testing charge vs inertia is just trivial. Particle accelerators fire charged particles all the time and the behavior is well documented an understood.

And by the way, the net charge of a regular molecule is zero, so it would have no inertia by that logic. This is just gibberish.

Last edited:
You add electrons to something by bombarding it with electrons. The mean free path of a electron in air is very short so this is usually done in a vacuum. You can strip electrons from something by placing it in a strong electric field, heating in an electric field, bombarding it with positive ions (like argon+), etc... All these are performed in a vacuum (~10-6 Torr). I would definitely use a gas. The ions you make will self-sustain if the charged species doesn't decompose spontaneously. Another good reason to use a gas...

You should start by reviewing the difference between inertia and momentum.

Are you two arguing about the curved path an ion takes in a magnetic field?

(mass spec problem?)

Last edited:

Related to Inertia is directly proportional to mass

1. What is the meaning of "inertia is directly proportional to mass"?

Inertia refers to an object's resistance to change in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The statement "inertia is directly proportional to mass" means that an object's mass is directly related to its inertia - the more mass an object has, the more inertia it will have.

2. How does mass affect inertia?

The mass of an object affects its inertia because it determines how much force is needed to change the object's state of motion. Objects with greater mass have more inertia and require more force to change their motion, while objects with less mass have less inertia and require less force to change their motion.

3. Can inertia be measured?

Yes, inertia can be measured using the equation F = ma, where F is the force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration. The greater the force needed to produce a certain acceleration, the greater the inertia of the object.

4. How is inertia related to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to inertia because an object's inertia is what causes it to resist changes in its motion.

5. Is inertia a property of matter?

Yes, inertia is a property of matter. All objects with mass have inertia, and the amount of inertia an object has is directly proportional to its mass. Inertia is a fundamental concept in physics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.