Inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian

In summary: To show that $$\max\limits_{n\in[1,2]}P(X(n)>x)\leq P(\max\limits_{n\in[1,2]}X(n)>x)$$, I would suggest first showing that $$P(X(n)>x)\leq P(\max\limits_{m\in[1,2]}X(m)>x) \text{ , for all } n\in[1,2]$$. (To avoid confusion, I used the variable m, instead of n, on the right hand side of this inequality.)We may use basic principles to show that this inequality is
JohanL

Homework Statement

Let $$(X(n), n ∈ [1, 2])$$ be a stationary zero-mean Gaussian process with autocorrelation function
$$R_X(0) = 1; R_X(+-1) = \rho$$
for a constant ρ ∈ [−1, 1].
Show that for each x ∈ R it holds that
$$max_{n∈[1,2]} P(X(n) > x) ≤ P (max_{n∈[1,2]} X(n) > x)$$
Are there any values of ρ for which this inequality becomes an equality?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$P(max_{n∈[1,2]} X(n) > x) = P ((X(1) > x) ∪ (X(2) > x)) = $$
$$ = P(X(1) > x) + P(X(2) > x) − P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = $$
$$=2 (1 − Φ(x)) − P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x))$$

I can't figure out what to do with the left side of the inequality or how to use the autocorrelation function.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the problem is too unclear to make anything of it. Was the original problem statement the same as above?

Do you mean that there are two Gaussian processes, ##\Big(X(1)_t\Big)_{t\in\mathscr{I}_1}## and ##\Big(X(1)_t\Big)_{t\in\mathscr{I}_2}##? If so, what are their index sets ##\mathscr{I}_1## and ##\mathscr{I}_2## (eg are they discrete or continuous processes?), and what is the dependence between the two processes (eg should we assume that they are independent?).

JohanL said:

Homework Statement

Let $$(X(n), n ∈ [1, 2])$$ be a stationary zero-mean Gaussian process with autocorrelation function
$$R_X(0) = 1; R_X(+-1) = \rho$$
for a constant ρ ∈ [−1, 1].
Show that for each x ∈ R it holds that
$$max_{n∈[1,2]} P(X(n) > x) ≤ P (max_{n∈[1,2]} X(n) > x)$$
Are there any values of ρ for which this inequality becomes an equality?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$P(max_{n∈[1,2]} X(n) > x) = P ((X(1) > x) ∪ (X(2) > x)) = $$
$$ = P(X(1) > x) + P(X(2) > x) − P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = $$
$$=2 (1 − Φ(x)) − P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x))$$

I can't figure out what to do with the left side of the inequality or how to use the autocorrelation function.

I can't figure out your question: do you have
(1) ##n## continuous, so you have a process ##\{ X(t), 1 \leq t \leq 2 \}## (using ##t## instead of ##n##); or do you have
(2) a discrete process ##\{ X(n), n \in \{ 1,2 \} \} = \{X_1,X_2 \}##, with ##E X_1 = E X_2 = 0##, ##E X_1^2 = E X_2^2 = 1## and ##E X_1 X_2 = \rho##?

Judging by your solution attempt, it seems that you mean the latter. So, since ##X_1## and ##X_2## are both standard (unit) normals, albeit correlated, the left-hand-side involves only the marginal distributions, which are identical. Thus,
[tex] \text{LHS} = \max \{ P(X_1 > x),P(X_2 > x) \} = P(X> x), [/tex]
where ##X## is a unit normal.
As you have indicated, the right-hand-side is
[tex] \text{RHS} = 2 P(X > x) - P(X_1>x,X_2>x)[/tex]
It is easy enough to examine the two extreme cases ##\rho = 0## (independent) and ##\rho = 1## (essentially, ##X_1 = X_2 = X##). For the intermediate cases of ##-1 < \rho < 0## or ##0 < \rho < 1##, you might be able to find (in the library, or on-line) the appropriate bounding formulas on ##P(X_1 > x, X_2 > x)##, but I don't know of them off-hand.

Last edited:
Likes JohanL
To show that $$\max\limits_{n\in[1,2]}P(X(n)>x)\leq P(\max\limits_{n\in[1,2]}X(n)>x)$$, I would suggest first showing that $$P(X(n)>x)\leq P(\max\limits_{m\in[1,2]}X(m)>x) \text{ , for all } n\in[1,2]$$. (To avoid confusion, I used the variable m, instead of n, on the right hand side of this inequality.)

We may use basic principles to show that this inequality is true; no knowledge of the autocorrelation function, or even of the process that governs X, is needed.

Likes JohanL
Thanks all.
Ray Vickson said:
I can't figure out your question: do you have
(1) ##n## continuous, so you have a process ##\{ X(t), 1 \leq t \leq 2 \}## (using ##t## instead of ##n##); or do you have
(2) a discrete process ##\{ X(n), n \in \{ 1,2 \} \} = \{X_1,X_2 \}##, with ##E X_1 = E X_2 = 0##, ##E X_1^2 = E X_2^2 = 1## and ##E X_1 X_2 = \rho##?

Judging by your solution attempt, it seems that you mean the latter. So, since ##X_1## and ##X_2## are both standard (unit) normals, albeit correlated, the left-hand-side involves only the marginal distributions, which are identical. Thus,
[tex] \text{LHS} = \max \{ P(X_1 > x),P(X_2 > x) \} = P(X> x), [/tex]
where ##X## is a unit normal.
As you have indicated, the right-hand-side is
[tex] \text{RHS} = 2 P(X > x) - P(X_1>x,X_2>x)[/tex]
It is easy enough to examine the two extreme cases ##\rho = 0## (independent) and ##\rho = 1## (essentially, ##X_1 = X_2 = X##). For the intermediate cases of ##-1 < \rho < 0## or ##0 < \rho < 1##, you might be able to find (in the library, or on-line) the appropriate bounding formulas on ##P(X_1 > x, X_2 > x)##, but I don't know of them off-hand.

Yeah i think you got it right with 2. It was probably an unclear problem statement and maybe my bad latex that made you all a little confused.

I found out that the rest of the solution should be

"$$P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = P(X(1) > x) = P(X(2) > x) = 1 − Φ(x) $$

when ρ = 1

(so that X(1) and X(2) are perfectly positively correlated), giving equality in the desired inequality"

I guess this should be obvious to understand but what definition (equations) implies the above?

", while by conditioning

$$P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) < P(X(1) > x) = P(X(2) > x) = 1−Φ(x)$$

for ρ < 1, giving strict inequality in the desired inequality."

Here i am not sure what's going on either. Where is the conditioning.

Last edited:
JohanL said:
Thanks all.

Yeah i think you got it right with 2. It was probably an unclear problem statement and maybe my bad latex that made you all a little confused.

I found out that the rest of the solution should be

"$$P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = P(X(1) > x) = P(X(2) > x) = 1 − Φ(x) $$

when ρ = 1

(so that X(1) and X(2) are perfectly positively correlated), giving equality in the desired inequality"

I guess this should be obvious to understand but what definition (equations) implies the above?

", while by conditioning

for ρ < 1, giving strict inequality in the desired inequality."

Here i am not sure what's going on either. Where is the conditioning.

There is no conditioning going on anywhere in this problem (if, by conditioning you mean the use of conditional probability).

In fact, for any two random variables on the whole line, with identical marginal distributions of mean 0 and variance 1 (whether normal or not, whether dependent, independent, or whatever) we have that your desired inequality is strict for any real x. Properties of the normal distribution are irrelevant to the argument and conclusion: just make a sketch of the regions ##\{X_1 > x \: \cap \; X_2 > x \}## in the ##(x_1,x_2)##-plane to see what is happening.

If the random variables are bounded, the inequality still holds but can be non-strict (i.e., an equality) for sufficiently large |x|.

Ray Vickson said:
There is no conditioning going on anywhere in this problem (if, by conditioning you mean the use of conditional probability).

In fact, for any two random variables on the whole line, with identical marginal distributions of mean 0 and variance 1 (whether normal or not, whether dependent, independent, or whatever) we have that your desired inequality is strict for any real x. Properties of the normal distribution are irrelevant to the argument and conclusion: just make a sketch of the regions ##\{X_1 > x \: \cap \; X_2 > x \}## in the ##(x_1,x_2)##-plane to see what is happening.

If the random variables are bounded, the inequality still holds but can be non-strict (i.e., an equality) for sufficiently large |x|.

Im probably misunderstanding but...

Maybe I wasnt clear.

I quoted the lecturer's solution:

$$P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = P(X(1) > x) = P(X(2) > x) = 1 − Φ(x) $$

when ##\rho = 1##.

(so that X(1) and X(2) are perfectly positively correlated), giving equality in the desired inequality

, while by conditioning

for ρ < 1, giving strict inequality in the desired inequality.

How did you and your lecturer justify this step:
JohanL said:
$$P(X(2) > x) = 1−\Phi(x)$$
Assuming that ##\Phi## has the usual meaning of the CDF of the standard normal distribution, this statement appears to assume that the variance of every random variable is 1 and, as far as I can see, that is not stated in the problem statement.

andrewkirk said:
How did you and your lecturer justify this step:

Assuming that ##\Phi## has the usual meaning of the CDF of the standard normal distribution, this statement appears to assume that the variance of every random variable is 1 and, as far as I can see, that is not stated in the problem statement.

I don't know how he justify it or if its correct.

I found it online. Its his solution to an old exam task.

I think its safest i post a picture of it:
2rep34x.jpg

JohanL said:
Im probably misunderstanding but...

Maybe I wasnt clear.

I quoted the lecturer's solution:

$$P ((X(1) > x) ∩ (X(2) > x)) = P(X(1) > x) = P(X(2) > x) = 1 − Φ(x) $$

when ##\rho = 1##.

(so that X(1) and X(2) are perfectly positively correlated), giving equality in the desired inequality

, while by conditioning

for ρ < 1, giving strict inequality in the desired inequality.

The lecturer is doing it the hard way. As I said already in #6 (and 'pizzasky' said first in #4), the result is true in general as long as the marginal distributions of ##X_1,X_2## are identical and are on the whole real line. The random variables ##X_1,X_2## need not be normally-distributed; they need not even have finite means or variances! The only thing that matters is the identical distribution of the marginals. Independence does not matter; correlation does not matter; nothing else matters.

Likes JohanL

Related to Inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian

1. What is the meaning of "inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian"?

The term "inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian" refers to a mathematical inequality that involves the probability distribution of a stationary random variable with a mean of zero, following a Gaussian or normal distribution. This type of inequality is commonly used in statistical analyses and is relevant in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

2. How is this type of inequality different from other types of inequalities?

Unlike other types of inequalities, which may involve arbitrary numbers or variables, the "inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian" is specifically focused on the probability distribution of a particular type of random variable. This type of inequality also takes into account the properties of the normal distribution, such as the standard deviation and variance, which can have a significant impact on the probability of certain outcomes.

3. What is the significance of studying this type of inequality?

Studying this type of inequality can provide valuable insights into the behavior and characteristics of random variables that follow a normal distribution. This is particularly relevant in fields where the assumption of normality is commonly made, such as in financial modeling and risk analysis. Understanding this type of inequality can also help in making more accurate predictions and decisions based on statistical data.

4. Can you provide an example of an inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian?

One example of an inequality involving probability of stationary zero-mean Gaussian is the Central Limit Theorem, which states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will tend towards a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual variables. This theorem is commonly used in statistics to estimate the mean and standard deviation of a population based on a sample.

5. Are there any limitations to using this type of inequality?

Like any statistical tool, there are limitations to using this type of inequality. For instance, it assumes that the random variable in question follows a normal distribution, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not be suitable for analyzing complex or non-linear relationships between variables. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations before applying this type of inequality in any analysis.