Inductive vs Deductive Reasoning

• Thread starter toboldlygo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    logic
In summary: So, in summary, inductive reasoning is when the conclusion is not guaranteed by the premises, while deductive reasoning is when the conclusion is guaranteed if the premises are true. Additionally, inductive reasoning goes from specific to general, while deductive reasoning goes from general to specific.
toboldlygo
So, I'm having some trouble with differentiating between inductive and deductive reasoning. I understand the basic principle—inductive is going from specific to general, and deductive is going from general to specific—but I don't know if I'm right when I apply my understanding to actual arguments. For example, I think this statement is inductive reasoning: "The Women's Liberation Movement has made great strides in recent years, and many women have been elected to political offices. Judging by these accomplishments it is likely that the next American President will be a woman." Would that be a correct? Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it's inductive. It is not deductive because the conclusion cannot be deduced from the given premises.

It's not good to define inductive reasoning as that from specific to general and deductive as general to specific. Inductive arguments are those whose premises do not guarantee the truth of their conclusions, while a deductive argument, if it has true premises, must have a true conclusion. Here is an example of an inductive argument that reasons from general to specific:

Most of the people I've met don't like tuna
I've just met a new person
----------
This new person doesn't like tuna

Here is an example of a deductive argument that reasons from specific to general:

My father loves pizza
My mother loves pizza
I love pizza
My brother loves pizza
My family consists of my mother, father, brother, and myself
----------
All members of my family love pizza

Likes Chenkel, aikismos and toboldlygo
@Geofleur: thank you for those examples and the explanation. That really helped!

@andrewkirk: thanks for confirming that!

Related to Inductive vs Deductive Reasoning

What is the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning?

Inductive reasoning involves making generalizations based on specific observations or patterns. Deductive reasoning involves drawing conclusions from a set of premises or assumptions.

Which type of reasoning is more commonly used in scientific research?

Both inductive and deductive reasoning are used in scientific research. Inductive reasoning is often used in exploratory research to generate hypotheses, while deductive reasoning is used to test these hypotheses.

How do inductive and deductive reasoning complement each other in the scientific method?

Inductive reasoning is used to form a hypothesis, which is then tested through deductive reasoning. The results of deductive reasoning can then be used to refine the initial hypothesis, and the process continues until a conclusion is reached.

What are the strengths and limitations of inductive and deductive reasoning?

Inductive reasoning allows for the exploration of new ideas and hypotheses, but it can also lead to biased or incorrect conclusions if the initial observations are not representative. Deductive reasoning relies on logical consistency and can provide strong evidence for or against a hypothesis, but it is limited by the accuracy of the initial premises.

Can inductive and deductive reasoning be used together?

Yes, inductive and deductive reasoning are often used together in scientific research. Inductive reasoning can be used to generate hypotheses, which are then tested through deductive reasoning. The results of deductive reasoning can then be used to refine or modify the initial hypotheses, and the process continues until a conclusion is reached.