Induction heating of a cylinder

In summary, the problem was that the magnetic field inside the solenoid was not given by that expression for B, but was actually given by a rather intricate expression with bessel functions and such.
Toftarn
Hello!

I am making som calculations on induction heating of a metallic cylinder inside
a solenoid through which an AC current passes, but the answer I get seems to
be completely unrealistic (10 kW with a 50 Hz, 5 Amps, 230 V rms), but I can't seem
to find my mistake.

What I think is wrong is the expression for the magnetic field inside the solenoid. I
have used
[tex] B = \mu n i [/tex]

But is this really correct for a time varying field?
As far as I know it is derived using amperes law in the static case when the displacement
current is zero, but I haven't found any passing comment or remark or anything anywhere
that this equation is valid only in the static case. So is this formula correct even in the
time varying (sinusoidal) case? If not, what should it be replaced by?

Basically, what I did for the rest of the calculation was simply to get the E-field by starting
from the maxwell equation

[tex] \nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

and integrating both sides over a circle of radius r. The righthand side was simplified using the expression
for the B-field above, and the left hand side was simplified using Stoke's Theorem to obtain
an expression for the E-field at radius r from the cylinder axis.

Then I calculated the power from

[tex] P = \iiint_{\text{cylinder}}{\sigma E^2 \text{dV}} [/tex]

Another thing that worries me is that I find that the E-field is proportional to the distance
r to the cylinder axis. When I read about induction heating on the internet the skin effect is
always mentioned, but it didn't pop out my calculations anywhere... But on the other hand,
these calculations came straight from Maxwell's equations so I find it hard to believe that they are completely wrong...

Science news on Phys.org
First, 10kW out of 5A at 230V is impossible.

An induction heater is working pretty much like an ordinary transformer. You have a primary winding and a secondary winding. However, the secondary is the one you want to heat up instead of transfer electric current through a lamp or a AC motor.

Vidar

Okay, I figured it out. It turns out the problem was that the magnetic field inside the solenoid
was not given by that expression for B, but was actually given by a rather intricate expression
with bessel functions and such.

Anyway, here is a link to an article discussing just this, if anyone should be interested :P

http://jap.aip.org/resource/1/japiau/v17/i3/p195_s1

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Induction heating of a cylinder

What is induction heating?

Induction heating is a process in which an alternating magnetic field is used to heat a conductive material, such as a metal cylinder, by inducing eddy currents within it. This results in the rapid and efficient heating of the material without any physical contact.

How does induction heating work?

Induction heating works by using an alternating current to create a magnetic field, which then induces eddy currents within the conductive material. These eddy currents generate heat due to the resistance of the material, resulting in the heating of the material.

What are the advantages of induction heating for cylinders?

There are several advantages to using induction heating for cylinders, including fast and efficient heating, precise temperature control, uniform heating throughout the material, and the ability to heat specific areas of the cylinder without affecting the rest of it.

What types of cylinders can be heated using induction?

Induction heating can be used on a wide range of cylinder materials, such as steel, aluminum, copper, and other conductive materials. The shape and size of the cylinder can also vary, making it suitable for heating different sizes and shapes of cylinders.

What are some common applications of induction heating for cylinders?

Induction heating of cylinders has various applications, including annealing, tempering, hardening, brazing, and soldering. It is also commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing for heating components and parts.