Induced Voltage as a function of time.

In summary, the problem was trying to find the field flux through a loop, and got stuck because of calculus. However, once you integrate the field over the area of the loop, you can pull out the magnetic field and use it to find the induced voltage.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
1. The problem.
A circular loop of radius 4cm has a plane which is perpendicular to the electric field B. (The area vector is +k, so is the field vector.) The strength of the field varies with time according to the equation B=4/(t^3). Give an expression for the voltage as a function of time.

2. Homework Equations .
OK, I'm using V_induced = -d/dt(B_flux), which is Faraday's law, and B_flux = Integral(B.dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not great at this calculus stuff, but when trying to find the field flux, int(B.dA), I can assume that dA is equal to A, and that it's constant, since the area is not changing right? Well A = .04m^2, so I get B_flux = .04*int(4/(t^3))dt, right? Are my limits of integration from 0 to DeltaT? Either way, I get an error because the integral will leave me with t in the denominator, and since the initial limit is 0, it is undefined.

Anyway, after I do find an expression for the B_flux, i can take the derivative of it to find d/dt(B_flux) and that should be the Induced voltage as a function of time... right?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to find the flux you want to integrate the field over the area of the loop. This has nothing to do with time; time is a constant at any given instant, and you're interested in finding the flux through the loop at any given instant in time.

The equation that you quoted, B_flux = Integral(B.dA), is summing over differential elements of flux B.dA . It seems that the magnetic field B is a constant over the area of the loop, since it doesn't have any geometrical terms related to x, y, or z. So the magnetic field is uniform over the loop at any given instant in time, so we can pull it out of the integration over the loop area.

[tex]\Phi = \int B \cdot dA = B \int dA = BA = 4 t^{-3} \pi r^2 [/tex]

Where you have to worry about the time is when you differentiate this flux with respect to time in order to determine the induced voltage. Since we're not concerned about the polarity of the induced voltage,

[tex] |\varepsilon| = \left| \frac{d \Phi}{dt} \right| [/tex]

You should be able to carry on from here.

gneill said:
You should be able to carry on from here.

Thank you very much! I think I got it. Wish I had been a member of this forum several semesters ago, haha!

Last edited:

Related to Induced Voltage as a function of time.

1. What is induced voltage?

Induced voltage is an electromotive force that is created when there is a change in the magnetic flux through a conductor. This change in magnetic flux can be caused by a variety of factors, such as moving a magnet near a conductor or changing the current in a nearby conductor.

2. How is induced voltage related to time?

Induced voltage is a function of time because it is directly affected by the rate of change of the magnetic flux. The faster the change in magnetic flux, the higher the induced voltage will be. This means that the induced voltage will vary over time as the magnetic flux changes.

3. Why is it important to study induced voltage as a function of time?

Studying induced voltage as a function of time is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of electromagnetic fields. It is also crucial in the design and operation of electrical devices, such as generators, transformers, and motors.

4. How is induced voltage measured?

Induced voltage can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the conductor where the induced voltage is expected to be present. It will then display the voltage value, which can be used to determine the strength of the induced voltage.

5. What factors can affect induced voltage as a function of time?

There are several factors that can affect induced voltage as a function of time. These include the rate of change of the magnetic flux, the number of turns in the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the material and dimensions of the conductor. Temperature and external interference can also have an impact on induced voltage.