Induced EMF Problem: Find Emf & Current in Square Coil

In summary, the problem involves a single turn circular coil in a perpendicular changing magnetic field, which induces an EMF of 0.80V and a current of 3.2A. The coil is then reformed into a single turn square coil, still in the same magnetic field with the same rate of change. The goal is to determine the induced EMF and current in the square coil. Using the equation EMF = ΔB/Δt * A, the incorrect solution involved using the incorrect area for the square coil.
sandycow

Homework Statement

A magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of a single turn circular coil. The magnitude of the field is changing so that the emf of 0.80 V and a current of 3.2 A are induced in the coil. The wire is then re-formed into a single turn square coil, which is used in the same magnetic field (again perpendicular to the place of the coil and with the magnitude changing at the same rate). What emf and current are induced in the square coil?

Homework Equations

emf= ΔB/Δt*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation emf= ΔB/Δt*A. with the two areas πr^2 and 4r^2 and i thought that since they were in the same plane with the rate of change in the magnetic field the same, i could do this... 0.80V/πr^2 = emf of the square/ 4r^2 and then solve for the emf of the square since the radius cancels. my teacher gave us the answer and what i got was not correct so I am not sure which equations I am suppose to use to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sandycow, welcome to PF.
Your calculation of the area of the square is wrong.
What is the circumference of the given circular coil? Straighten the wire, and reform it as a square. What will be the length of each side of the square? What is the area of the square?

ohhhhh. i get it haha thanks that was such an oversight.

Related to Induced EMF Problem: Find Emf & Current in Square Coil

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field. It is the driving force behind the flow of electric current.

2. How do you find the induced EMF in a square coil?

The induced EMF in a square coil can be found by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. This can be calculated using Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. What factors affect the induced EMF in a square coil?

The induced EMF in a square coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

4. How do you calculate the current induced in a square coil?

The current induced in a square coil can be calculated by dividing the induced EMF by the resistance of the coil. This can be determined using Ohm's Law.

5. How can the induced EMF problem be applied in real life?

The induced EMF problem has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices like magnetic sensors and speakers.