Induced current in long straight wire

In summary, a current can be induced in a loop by two possibilities - a changing current in a long straight wire near the loop or a d.c. supply being switched on or off. This phenomenon is explained by Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law, where a changing current creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the loop.
w3390

Homework Statement

A current is induced in a loop by something happening with current in a long straight wire near the loop. What could be happening? (There are two possibilities. Neither the wire nor the loop is moving.)

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law
Faraday's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I know one of the possibilities. I said that one possibility is that the current in the straight wire is changing. This changing current will create a magnetic field. This created magnetic field will then induce a current in the loop. I cannot think of the other possibility if the wire and loop are not moving. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only other possibility I can think of is that the straight wire is fed by a d.c. supply which is then switched on or off the current in the coil being induced at those instants.I do not like this answer, however, because the current does change momentarily during switching and you have already described a changing current.

The other possibility could be that the loop is moving relative to the wire, causing a change in the magnetic flux through the loop. This change in magnetic flux will induce a current in the loop according to Faraday's Law. Another possibility is that the loop is made of a conducting material and is placed in the changing magnetic field created by the current in the straight wire. This changing magnetic field will induce an electric field in the loop, causing a current to flow. Both of these possibilities demonstrate the fundamental relationship between electricity and magnetism, known as electromagnetic induction.

Related to Induced current in long straight wire

1. What is induced current in a long straight wire?

Induced current in a long straight wire refers to the flow of electric charge that is produced in the wire when it is placed in a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced current created in a long straight wire?

Induced current is created in a long straight wire through the process of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces an electric field in the wire, resulting in the flow of electric charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of induced current in a long straight wire?

The strength of induced current in a long straight wire is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

4. What are some practical applications of induced current in long straight wires?

Induced current in long straight wires is commonly used in electrical generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in devices such as metal detectors and induction cooktops.

5. How can induced current in long straight wires be controlled or manipulated?

Induced current in long straight wires can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the wire such as its length and material composition.