Indeterminate problem in geometry

• Thread starter lomantak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation is about a tedious analytic geometry problem involving two circles, C1 and C2. The first step is to solve for the intersection of the two circles to find the coordinates of point Q. This can be done by subtracting the equations of the two circles, resulting in a linear equation in x. The x coordinate can then be used to find the y coordinate of point Q. Next, the equation of the line through points P and Q is needed, which can be found by using the coordinates of both points. Finally, by letting r approach a small value, the x coordinate of the y=0 point on the line can be found.
lomantak
Hello,

I came across this question and am wondering if anyone could help me on this...I don't even know where to start... (see attached image)Any help would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Attachments

• scan_r2_c2.jpg
    scan_r2_c2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a somewhat tedious analytic geometry problem.

First locate Q by solving for the intersection of C1 equation and C2 equation - the latter is x^2+y^2=r^2.

By subtracting one equation from the other you will have a linear equation in x, which is readily solvable. This x can be used to obtain y (use plus value). Notice the coordinates of P and Q both depend on r.

Get the equation of the straight line through P and Q and find the x coordinate of the y=0 point on the line. This will also depend on r.

Now let r get arbitrarily small.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mathman, for answering my question. I have done what you suggested by combining the equations of the two circles to find the intersection coordinates at Q.

C1: (x-2)^2 + y^2 = 4
C2: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

It comes out to
x = (r^2)/4

With this I can isolate r or x...either way, I now know the relation between the two variables.

But what I seem to have trouble with is the subtracting of the two equations. Do you mean subtracting C1 from C2's equation?
I find this odd, because it would then look like this:
x^2 + y^2 - 4x - (x^2 - 4x + 4 + y^2 -4) = 0
Then after everything, it just cancels out...so I know I must be plugging the x and r relation into the same equation... could you give me a little more guidance ... ,in detail, about this question?

You say there would then be a linear equation... but ... from where?Please overlook my ignorance.
Thanks!

I find this odd, because it would then look like this:
x^2 + y^2 - 4x - (x^2 - 4x + 4 + y^2 -4) = 0
No!

C1-C2 looks like: -4x+4=4-r^2. This gives the equation you used.

Related to Indeterminate problem in geometry

1. What is an indeterminate problem in geometry?

An indeterminate problem in geometry is a problem that cannot be solved using only the information given. It requires additional information or assumptions to find a unique solution.

2. How do you know if a problem is indeterminate in geometry?

A problem in geometry is indeterminate if it has more than one possible solution or if the given information is not sufficient to find a unique solution.

3. What are some common examples of indeterminate problems in geometry?

Some common examples of indeterminate problems in geometry include finding the length of a missing side or angle in a triangle when only two sides or angles are given, constructing a triangle with specific angle measurements and side lengths, and finding the center of a circle given three points on the circumference.

4. How do you solve an indeterminate problem in geometry?

To solve an indeterminate problem in geometry, you will need to make assumptions or use additional information to find a unique solution. This could involve drawing auxiliary lines, using trigonometric ratios, or applying theorems and properties of geometric figures.

5. Why are indeterminate problems important in geometry?

Indeterminate problems in geometry help students develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies. They also demonstrate the importance of making accurate measurements and using precise mathematical reasoning to find solutions.