Independent Study: What Goes Into It?

In summary, an independent study involves receiving a packet of assigned readings and handouts, and then showing up for exams on designated days. The lack of a lecture can be challenging, so it is important to be capable of handling the material on your own. Each instructor may have a different approach, so it is best to ask the instructor for specific details.
erraticimpulse
What goes into an independent study? I need to take one this summer to take a math course that isn't offered then, but I'm not really certain what it involves. Do I study on my own and show up periodically to take exams? Or do I receive one on one instruction from a professor for a few hours a week?

Physics news on Phys.org
I once took an Independent study class, and you basically get a packet of all the assigned readings and handouts, and then you show up for the exams on the days they tell you. It's like learning everything on your own without someone to reinforce the material. Are you capable of handling this?

Shockwave said:
I once took an Independent study class, and you basically get a packet of all the assigned readings and handouts, and then you show up for the exams on the days they tell you. It's like learning everything on your own without someone to reinforce the material. Are you capable of handling this?

The course I'm going to take is number systems. (If you've seen my other threads you know that this has been a major problem for me.) It sounds similar to Discrete Math except the focus is on the real number system. I'm not too worried. I generally study on my own anyways. I know the lack of a lecture will be an odd thing though.

I thought it was going to be a walk in the park, too. Um, number systems on your own can be very difficult.

erraticimpulse said:
What goes into an independent study? I need to take one this summer to take a math course that isn't offered then, but I'm not really certain what it involves. Do I study on my own and show up periodically to take exams? Or do I receive one on one instruction from a professor for a few hours a week?

The BEST person to ask this is the instructor who you will be conducting this for you. Each instructor has his/her own way of doing this. It can range from him/her just giving you reading material and assignment, to meeting several times a week in which formal instruction will be given to you. So ANYTHING can happen here. Do not expect a single, well-defined way of doing this.

So go to the instructor and ask!

Zz.

Thanks!

ZapperZ said:
The BEST person to ask this is the instructor who you will be conducting this for you. Each instructor has his/her own way of doing this. It can range from him/her just giving you reading material and assignment, to meeting several times a week in which formal instruction will be given to you. So ANYTHING can happen here. Do not expect a single, well-defined way of doing this.

So go to the instructor and ask!

Good points! However, since this course will be at a university that I'm transferring to it will be with an instructor I've never had. But maybe I could arrange for the same course with someone at my college.

Related to Independent Study: What Goes Into It?

1. What is independent study?

Independent study is a type of academic course or project that allows students to engage in self-directed learning outside of a traditional classroom setting. This typically involves conducting research, completing assignments, and meeting with a faculty advisor to discuss progress and receive feedback.

2. How do I choose a topic for my independent study?

The topic for your independent study should align with your academic interests and goals. It is important to choose a topic that is specific and focused, but also broad enough to allow for in-depth exploration. You may also consider consulting with your faculty advisor for guidance in selecting a topic.

3. What is the process for completing an independent study?

The process for completing an independent study may vary depending on your institution and specific course requirements. Generally, it involves creating a proposal, conducting research, completing assignments, and meeting regularly with a faculty advisor. It is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively in order to successfully complete your independent study.

4. Can I receive credit for an independent study?

Many institutions offer academic credit for independent study courses, but this may vary. It is important to check with your institution and department to determine the credit value and requirements for completing an independent study.

5. How can I make the most out of my independent study experience?

To make the most out of your independent study experience, it is important to stay motivated, organized, and communicate regularly with your faculty advisor. Take advantage of resources such as the library, online databases, and academic support services to enhance your research and learning. Also, be open to feedback and make adjustments to your project as needed to ensure a successful outcome.