Independent random variables max and min

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distribution functions for max(X,Y) and min(X,Y), with a focus on the definition of distribution functions and how it applies to max(X,Y). The proposed solution for min(X,Y) is being reconsidered.
Proggy99

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be two independent random variables with distribution functions F and G, respectively. Find the distribution functions of max(X,Y) and min(X,Y).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone give me a jumping off point for this problem? All I can think of is that the distribution function for max(X,Y) is F for X>Y and G for Y>X. That seems a little too simple though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let H(t) be the distribution function of max(X,Y). What does the definition of distribution function say that H(t) is equal to?

Billy Bob said:
Let H(t) be the distribution function of max(X,Y). What does the definition of distribution function say that H(t) is equal to?

I am really struggling with the material since the midterm, so I am not sure I know what you are asking. Are you referring to H(t) = P(X [tex]\leq[/tex] t) ?

Proggy99 said:
Are you referring to H(t) = P(X [tex]\leq[/tex] t) ?

Exactly! Only in this case it is max(X,Y) instead of X.

Now, think about it means for max(X,Y) to be [tex]\leq[/tex] t. What must be true about X and/or Y?

Billy Bob said:
Exactly! Only in this case it is max(X,Y) instead of X.

Now, think about it means for max(X,Y) to be [tex]\leq[/tex] t. What must be true about X and/or Y?

it means that
P(max(X,Y) [tex]\leq[/tex] t) =
P(X [tex]\leq[/tex] t)P(Y [tex]\leq[/tex] t) =
F*G

yes, no, maybe?

this part for min(x,y) i am pretty sure was wrong, so looking into it more.

Last edited:

Related to Independent random variables max and min

1. What are independent random variables?

Independent random variables are variables that do not affect each other's outcomes. This means that the occurrence of one variable does not change the probability of the other variable's outcome.

2. How are independent random variables different from dependent random variables?

Dependent random variables are variables in which the outcome of one variable is affected by the outcome of another variable. This is in contrast to independent random variables, where the outcomes are not related in any way.

3. What is the max of independent random variables?

The max of independent random variables is the largest value that can be obtained by randomly selecting values from each of the variables. This value can vary depending on the specific values of the individual variables.

4. What is the min of independent random variables?

The min of independent random variables is the smallest value that can be obtained by randomly selecting values from each of the variables. This value can vary depending on the specific values of the individual variables.

5. How are the max and min of independent random variables calculated?

The max and min of independent random variables are calculated by finding the largest and smallest values, respectively, that can be obtained by randomly selecting values from each of the variables. This can be done by finding the maximum and minimum values of each individual variable and then combining them to find the overall max and min.