Independence of parametrizations of a line integral

In summary, The statement in C Exercise 2 is false and cannot be proven using Theorem 8.2 from the book "Advanced Calculus" by Watson Fulks.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hello!
I've been trying to prove a problem.
I attach the problem. I refer to the book " Advanced calculus" written by watson fulks.
You can find the below information in p. 405~p.417
smooth curve(1).jpg

line integral(2).jpg

independence of parametrization(3).jpg

I want to prove C Exercise problem number 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could prove it when two parametrizations of a curve are bijective. But, I don't have any idea to access how to prove it in general. I even don't know whether the statement in C Exercise 2 is true or not...
Is the statement true??
Then, could you give me a hint??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I should use the theorem 8.2 in the book,. but, I can't access how to do it..The statement in C Exercise 2 is false. Theorem 8.2 is a generalization of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and it states that if two parameterizations of a function are related by a differentiable transformation, then the integrals of the two parameterizations are related by the same transformation. In this case, the statement in C Exercise 2 does not hold because the two parameterizations are not related by a differentiable transformation.

Related to Independence of parametrizations of a line integral

1. What is the concept of independence of parametrizations in a line integral?

The independence of parametrizations in a line integral refers to the fact that the value of a line integral does not depend on the specific parameterization used to define the curve.

2. How is the independence of parametrizations proven in line integrals?

The independence of parametrizations can be proven by showing that the line integral is the same for any two different parameterizations of the same curve. This can be done by substituting one parameterization into the other and simplifying the resulting expression.

3. Why is the concept of independence of parametrizations important in line integrals?

The concept of independence of parametrizations is important because it allows us to choose any convenient parameterization for a curve without affecting the value of the line integral. This makes it easier to calculate line integrals and also allows for more flexibility in choosing the parameterization.

4. Can the independence of parametrizations be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, the independence of parametrizations can be applied to any type of curve, including smooth curves, piecewise smooth curves, and even curves with sharp corners or discontinuities.

5. Are there any situations where the independence of parametrizations does not hold for a line integral?

Yes, in some cases where the curve has a singularity or a sharp corner, the independence of parametrizations may not hold and the choice of parameterization may affect the value of the line integral. However, these cases are rare and can be identified by carefully analyzing the curve and the chosen parameterization.