Indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root

In summary: Well, that's not "linear in a" either. Who knows what the website would like?It's possible that the website is looking for a linear expression in terms of "a" without any fractions or variables in the denominator. In that case, the answer could be rewritten as:##-\frac{a}{16(a+1)}cos^{1+1/a}(16x) + C##But without more information, it's hard to say for sure.
WalrusMunchies

Homework Statement

Solve: [itex] \int sin(16x) \sqrt[a]{cos(16x)}\,dx [/itex] Answer should be linear in the constant "a"

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \int sin(16x) \sqrt[a]{cos(16x)}\,dx[/itex] Set: [itex]u=cos(16x), du=-16sin(16x) du[/itex] [itex] ~~\Rightarrow~~ {-1/16}\int \sqrt[a]{u}\,du = {-1/16}(\frac{1}{1+1/a}u^{1+{1/a}})+C = {-1/16}(\frac{1}{1+1/a}cos^{1+{1/a}}(16x))+C[/itex]

This is what I did initially, then i realized it wasn't linear in the constant "a".
I have a feeling i may need to substitute a log function into make "a" a linear constant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WalrusMunchies said:

Homework Statement

Solve: [itex] \int sin(16x) \sqrt[a]{cos(16x)}\,dx [/itex] Answer should be linear in the constant "a"

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \int sin(16x) \sqrt[a]{cos(16x)}\,dx[/itex] Set: [itex]u=cos(16x), du=-16sin(16x) du[/itex] [itex] ~~\Rightarrow~~ {-1/16}\int \sqrt[a]{u}\,dx = {-1/16}(\frac{1}{1+1/a}u^{1+{1/a}})+C = {-1/16}(\frac{1}{1+1/a}cos^{1+{1/a}}(16x))+C[/itex]

This is what I did initially, then i realized it wasn't linear in the constant "a".
I have a feeling i may need to substitute a log function into make "a" a linear constant.

What you did is fine, except you mixed up some dx's and du's in the presentation. I have no idea what they mean by "Answer should be linear in the constant a". It's clearly not.

Dick said:
What you did is fine, except you mixed up some dx's and du's in the presentation. I have no idea what they mean by "Answer should be linear in the constant a". It's clearly not.

Thanks for the reply

The question initially doesn't say "Answer should be linear in the constant a", but my homework website doesn't accept "+C" in this question, and gives me that message as a response when i put in my answer.

Normally I would see my professor about this, but it is reading week.

WalrusMunchies said:
Thanks for the reply

The question initially doesn't say "Answer should be linear in the constant a", but my homework website doesn't accept "+C" in this question, and gives me that message as a response when i put in my answer.

Normally I would see my professor about this, but it is reading week.

Well, there should be a "+C" in the answer if it's an indefinite integral, and I think you did it correctly. Not sure what to say.

I can only think of two things. The site might require a more standard form after simplifying, and it's possible you inputted the answer incorrectly. How do you input your answers? Is it text based or is there a GUI for you to use?

For example, if you input cos^(1/2)(x) into WolframAlpha, it reads it as ##\sqrt{\cos{x}} \cdot x## where you might have wanted it to be intepretted as simply ##\sqrt{\cos{x}}##.

(I brought up this example because this is how you formatted your answer to the problem)

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+1/a} = \frac{a}{a+1} ##

Maybe the website would like this better.

SammyS said:
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+1/a} = \frac{a}{a+1} ##

Maybe the website would like this better.

Well, that's not "linear in a" either. Who knows what the website would like?

Related to Indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root

What is an indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root?

An indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root is a mathematical expression that involves a trigonometric function (such as sine or cosine) and a root of a variable raised to the Nth power. It is typically represented as ∫(sin^n x) dx or ∫(cos^n x) dx, where n is a positive integer.

How do you solve an indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root?

To solve an indefinite trigonometric integral with an Nth Root, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to identify the appropriate method for each specific integral and follow the steps carefully to find the solution.

What are the common mistakes made when solving indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root?

Some common mistakes when solving indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root include forgetting to use the chain rule, applying incorrect trigonometric identities, or making calculation errors. It is important to double-check each step and verify the final answer with the original integral.

Can indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root have multiple solutions?

Yes, indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves every certain interval. Therefore, there can be infinite solutions to an indefinite trigonometric integral with Nth Root.

What is the practical application of indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root?

Indefinite trigonometric integrals with Nth Root have various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving oscillatory motion, wave phenomena, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in finding the area under a curve, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.