Indefinite Integration of Heaviside function muliplied by a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the Heaviside function with respect to r, specifically the integral [H(r-a)/r]. The individual asking the question does not have an answer and questions whether the integration of H(r-rd)=(r-rd)H(r-rd). The other person suggests doing a web search for the indefinite integral of the Heaviside function.
MahaRoho
Homework Statement
integral [H(r-a)/r] with respect to r
Relevant Equations
integral [H(r-a)/r] with respect to r
Will it be [{(r-a)/r}*H(r-a)]

Physics news on Phys.org
MahaRoho said:
Homework Statement:: integral [H(r-a)/r] with respect to r
Relevant Equations:: integral [H(r-a)/r] with respect to r

Will it be [{(r-a)/r}*H(r-a)]
No.
##H(r - a) = \begin{cases} 0 & r < a\\ 1/2 & r = a ;\\ 1 & r > a \end{cases}##

So your integral looks to me to be $$\int_a^\infty \frac 1 r ~~dr$$
What do you get for that improper integral?

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks! I don't have any answer tho!
Btw, is not integration of H(r-rd)=(r-rd) H(r-rd)?

Mark44 said:
So your integral looks to me to be $$\int_a^\infty \frac 1 r ~~dr$$
What do you get for that improper integral?

MahaRoho said:
Thanks! I don't have any answer tho!
If you aren't able to do that integration, I don't understand why you're trying to integrate the Heaviside function.

MahaRoho said:
Btw, is not integration of H(r-rd)=(r-rd) H(r-rd)?
Do a web search for "indefinite integral of Heaviside function".

Related to Indefinite Integration of Heaviside function muliplied by a function

1. What is the Heaviside function?

The Heaviside function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative input values and 1 for positive input values. It is often used in engineering and physics to represent a sudden change or "step" in a system.

2. How is the Heaviside function used in indefinite integration?

The Heaviside function is used in indefinite integration to represent a discontinuous function. When multiplied by another function, it can help simplify the integration process by breaking it into separate intervals where the function is continuous.

3. What is the process for integrating a Heaviside function multiplied by a function?

The process for integrating a Heaviside function multiplied by a function involves breaking the integration into separate intervals where the function is continuous. In each interval, the Heaviside function can be replaced with its respective value (0 or 1) and the integration can be performed as usual.

4. Can the Heaviside function be integrated using traditional integration techniques?

Yes, the Heaviside function can be integrated using traditional integration techniques. However, it is often easier and more efficient to break the integration into separate intervals and use the properties of the Heaviside function to simplify the process.

5. In what fields of science is the indefinite integration of Heaviside function multiplied by a function commonly used?

The indefinite integration of Heaviside function multiplied by a function is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is often used to model and analyze systems with sudden changes or "step" functions, such as electrical circuits and signal processing systems.