Indecisive Engineering Discipline

• Thread starter dleccord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is unsure of which field of engineering to pursue and is worried about taking the right courses at their junior college for their chosen school's program. They have expressed an interest in photography, working with cars, and group problem solving, but also have dislikes for chemistry, memorization, and statics. Suggestions have been made for mechanical engineering and researching different job descriptions and companies to find a good fit. The individual is also considering the difference between a research-oriented UC degree and a more practical state university degree. They are specifically looking for a good school for engineering in northern California with their current 3.0 GPA.
dleccord
I know I want to become an engineer but I don't know what field I should strive for.

I am frustrated because I only have another year until I transfer to a 4 year institution but if I don't know what I am aiming for then it's hard to pick a school particular for that type of engineering, and therefore I might or might not be taking the right courses at the junior college that will fulfill the requirement for that school's engineering program.

So far I am taking circuits and statics. I only need general chemistry, calc 3, and materials and a few general ed courses and I will be ready to transfer somewhere in california (mind you I only have a 3.0 gpa).

Not sure if this helps but here are my likes: photography, calculus 2, interested in solving problem as a group but not a good problem solver, construction, automobiles, working on cars, build computers, lab write-ups for physics, group discussion and problem solving

Dislikes: chemistry, memorization, not a big fan of statics course (boring professor?), english writing, history

Comments, suggestions, questions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dleccord said:
I know I want to become an engineer ...
dleccord said:
but not a good problem solver

Thats a tricky one and solving problems is basically what engneering is. It depends what you mean by not a good problem solver.

If you mean you aren't an innovater, don't worry about it neither am I. We all need someone with their head screwed on to look at details.

If you mean you can't work your way through to a solution for something you've never seen before, then that's a more tricky issue.Do mechanical it's far better than poncy electrical engineering. Big lumps of metal and heavy machinery is inherently cooler than a few poxy wires.

(Please note I am a mechanical engineer and may be marginally biased.)

Based on your interests I would suggest mechanical. But if you don't like statics...

Have you read descriptions of the different types of jobs available? You might want to check the careers sections of the websites of some companies you are interested in. http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm has some basic descriptions. The websites of the professional engineering societies might be useful too (ASME, IEEE, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like cars and engines then mechanical would probably be a good fit. Don't worry to much about disliking statics. Although it is important to understand it and be able to use you certainly don't have to be interested in it to be a mechanical engineer.

I thought my statics classes were boring, I am more interested in fluid/aerodynamics but I use material from those courses all the time.

How do you know whether you are a UC person or a state person?

I was told that UC is more reasearch inclined as oppose to state because at a state university, what students learn are more practical in their field as oppose to theoretical.

How do I know if I am more of a practical guy or theoretical? (Is there a hint if I hated my past professors who taught theoretically?)

I also hate to factor in the fact that a UC degree looks better than a state degree.

dleccord said:
How do you know whether you are a UC person or a state person?

I was told that UC is more reasearch inclined as oppose to state because at a state university, what students learn are more practical in their field as oppose to theoretical.

How do I know if I am more of a practical guy or theoretical? (Is there a hint if I hated my past professors who taught theoretically?)

I also hate to factor in the fact that a UC degree looks better than a state degree.

...are we talking about California here? What am I missing?

kote said:
...are we talking about California here? What am I missing?

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my first post that I live in northern california and I would like to know what's a good school for engineering with a 3.0 gpa. I know I don't have a lot to work with.

I'm still in school so I can't speak from any personal experience, but I would suggest Mechanical . . . as it seems to be the most diverse discipline. Also, you will get a lot of opportunities to take other engineering classes while you are fulfilling your degree requirements, so you may find a discipline that catches your attention a little more. As someone stated before, you can read till your eyes bleed about different engineering fields, but I believe that you won't truly know what you like until you get into the classes and get your hands a little dirty.

Related to Indecisive Engineering Discipline

What is Indecisive Engineering Discipline?

Indecisive Engineering Discipline is a term used to describe a lack of clear direction or focus in the field of engineering. It refers to situations where engineers struggle to make decisions or commit to a specific approach or solution.

Why do engineers struggle with indecisiveness?

There are several reasons why engineers may struggle with indecisiveness. These can include a lack of information, conflicting priorities or constraints, fear of making the wrong decision, or simply a complex problem with multiple potential solutions.

How does indecisiveness affect the engineering process?

Indecisiveness can greatly impact the engineering process by causing delays, increasing costs, and potentially leading to suboptimal or ineffective solutions. It can also create tension and frustration within a team, hindering collaboration and progress.

What are some strategies for overcoming indecisiveness in engineering?

Some strategies for overcoming indecisiveness in engineering include gathering as much information as possible, prioritizing and setting clear goals, involving all stakeholders in decision-making, and considering different perspectives and potential trade-offs. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks.

Is indecisiveness a common issue in the engineering field?

Yes, indecisiveness is a common issue in the engineering field. As with any complex and challenging profession, engineers often face difficult decisions and must weigh various factors and considerations. However, with effective communication, problem-solving skills, and a proactive approach, indecisiveness can be minimized and managed in the engineering process.