Increasing motor efficiency to reduce energy consumption?

In summary, I think this technology has a lot of potential, but it's still in its early stages and may not be ready for large-scale use just yet.
TorqueJones
TL;DR Summary
Motor controls and coil drivers that increase efficiency. Revolutionary ideas or old ideas dressed up with marketing?
I was looking into companies or startups that were doing things with motors to improve efficiency. I stumbled upon Turntide Technologies, which has a partnership with Amazon. Turntide is making a software-driven motor that "enables precise and reliable control to effectively use every watt of energy to reduce electricity consumption and achieve optimal efficiency." https://turntide.com/technology/

Then I stumbled upon, EXRO Technologies. "Exro's advanced motor control technology, the "Coil Driver", expands the capabilities of electric motors and powertrains. The Coil Driver enables two separate torque profiles within a given motor. The first is calibrated for low speed and high torque, while the second provides expanded operation at high speed." https://www.exro.com/technology/coil-driver

Do you all think this technology has a chance to really have a big impact or are these old ideas with a little bit of marketing added to them? Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electric motors are typically 90% efficient or better, so I don't think there is a whole lot to be gained. However if you have a lot of motors, or have very high power motors, then every little bit helps. We would need more details to judge.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Integral horsepower induction motors are subject to efficiency standards, and that efficiency is a function of motor size. Good search term to learn more is induction motor efficiency standards. This chart is from one of the hits: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/04/f15/amo_motors_handbook_web.pdf.
Motor Efficiency.jpg

These motors are already efficient enough that huge increases are just not possible. Smaller motors have more room for improvement. ECM motors (search the term) have been commonly available for about 30 years. They are popular in HVAC systems for both pumps and blower motors. This pump in my home heating system varies its speed depending on whether one, two, or all three zones are running. The photo was taken with two zones running:
Pump.jpg

Turntide has a new spin on 30 year old technology. Their design is a switched reluctance motor, Switched reluctance is an old design that became practical with the development of modern electronics. It competes with the permanent magnet rotor motor design in the pump shown above, and it competes with vector drive induction motors.

• Informative
Likes Master1022, russ_watters, 256bits and 2 others
jrmichler said:
Integral horsepower induction motors are subject to efficiency standards
Definitely a noticeable 'scale up' in efficiency wrt Hp of the motor.

TorqueJones said:
Do you all think this technology has a chance to really have a big impact or are these old ideas with a little bit of marketing added to them?
There is still a lot of old 'crappy' motors being used in peoples homes.
But this isn't for that I would suspect.

TorqueJones said:
Summary:: Motor controls and coil drivers that increase efficiency. Revolutionary ideas or old ideas dressed up with marketing?

I was looking into companies or startups that were doing things with motors to improve efficiency. I stumbled upon Turntide Technologies, which has a partnership with Amazon. Turntide is making a software-driven motor that "enables precise and reliable control to effectively use every watt of energy to reduce electricity consumption and achieve optimal efficiency." https://turntide.com/technology/

Do you all think this technology has a chance to really have a big impact or are these old ideas with a little bit of marketing added to them? Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
I only looked at the first. It's a "switched reluctance motor", which wikipedia tells me was first patented in 1838 (!). So it's a really, really old idea. It's been refined of course.

For small motors running at low RPM, efficiencies drop substantially and this type of motor may help avoid that. How much of a benefit? It's tough to know: Yes, there is a lot of marketing hype in there and no detailed case studies.

More concerning is that I don't see a way to buy one, and I see the company's name changed last year (from "Software Motor Company"). It looks like a startup that isn't actually off the ground yet. The cynic in me thinks they originally picked "Software Motor Company" because they thought it would make venture capitalists backsides tingle and they are hoping to market it by putting internet into it.

1. How can increasing motor efficiency reduce energy consumption?

Increasing motor efficiency means that the motor is able to convert a higher percentage of the energy it consumes into useful work. This results in less energy being wasted as heat, ultimately leading to a reduction in overall energy consumption.

2. What are some ways to increase motor efficiency?

There are several ways to increase motor efficiency, including using high-quality materials, optimizing the motor design, implementing advanced control systems, and using variable speed drives.

3. Are there any other benefits to increasing motor efficiency?

Yes, there are several other benefits to increasing motor efficiency. These include reduced operating costs, longer motor lifespan, improved performance, and reduced carbon footprint.

4. Can increasing motor efficiency be applied to all types of motors?

Yes, increasing motor efficiency can be applied to various types of motors, including AC induction motors, permanent magnet motors, and DC motors. However, the methods for increasing efficiency may vary depending on the type of motor.

5. Will increasing motor efficiency require a significant investment?

While there may be some initial costs involved in implementing measures to increase motor efficiency, the long-term benefits, such as energy savings and improved performance, often outweigh the initial investment. Additionally, there are often government incentives and rebates available for businesses and industries that prioritize energy efficiency.