Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Increasing Function on an Interval ... Browder, Proposition 3.7 ... ...

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 3: Continuous Functions on Intervals and am currently focused on Section 3.1 Limits and Continuity ... ...

I need some help in understanding the proof of Proposition 3.7 ...

Proposition 3.7 and its proof read as follows:

Browder - Proposition 3.7 ... .png

In the above proof by Andrew Browder we read the following:

" ... ... Clearly \(\displaystyle A\leq f(t) \leq B\) since \(\displaystyle f\) is increasing ... ... "

Can someone demonstrate, formally and rigorously that \(\displaystyle A\leq f(t) \leq B\) ... ...

Note: Although it seems highly plausible, given the definitions of \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\) and given also that \(\displaystyle f\) is increasing, that \(\displaystyle A\leq f(t) \leq B\) .. I am unable to prove it rigorously ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

GJA

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 16, 2013
Hi Peter ,

Since $f$ is increasing we know $x_{1}<x_{2}\,\Longrightarrow\, f(x_{1})\leq f(x_{2}).$ This means that $f(t)$ is an upper bound for the set $\{f(s)\,\vert\, s < t\}$ and a lower bound for $\{f(s)\,\vert\, t<s\}$. Does that help resolve the issue?

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Peter ,

Since $f$ is increasing we know $x_{1}<x_{2}\,\Longrightarrow\, f(x_{1})\leq f(x_{2}).$ This means that $f(t)$ is an upper bound for the set $\{f(s)\,\vert\, s < t\}$ and a lower bound for $\{f(s)\,\vert\, t<s\}$. Does that help resolve the issue?

Thanks so so much for the help GJA ...

Reflecting on what you have said ...

Beginning to suspect that I'm overthinking this issue ...

Thanks again for the help ...

Peter

GJA

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 16, 2013
Hi Peter ,

Always happy to help in any way that I can. I had a tough time too when it came to understanding supremums and infimums. The words "least upper" and "greatest lower" don't hit the ear right initially.