Increasing and decreasing function in certain interval

In summary, P(x) is an increasing function and Q(x) is a decreasing function in interval a ≤x≤b, x is positive. Function γ(x) satisfies m≤γ(x)≤M. The value of m and M can be found for the following equations: a. γ(x) = P(x) - Q(x) and d. γ(x) = 1/P(x) + Q(x). For equations b, c, and e, it is not possible to determine the values of m and M without additional information.
harimakenji

Homework Statement

P(x) is an increasing function and Q(x) is a decreasing function in interval a ≤x≤b, x is positive. P(x) and Q(x) are located in 1st quadrant. Another function γ(x) satisfies m≤γ(x)≤M.
Find the value of m and M if:
a. γ(x) = P(x) - Q(x)
b. γ(x) = P(x) . Q(x)
c. γ(x) = [P(x)]2 – [Q(x)]2
d. γ(x) = 1/P(X) +Q(x)
e. γ(x)= (P(x))/(Q(x))-(Q(x))/(P(x))

Homework Equations

Maybe differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

P(x) is increasing function = P'(x) is positive and P(a) < P(b)
Q(x) is decreasing function = Q'(x) is negative and Q(a) > Q(b)

a. γ'(x) = P'(x) - Q'(x). Since Q'(x) is negative, γ'(x) will be positive so γ(x) is increasing function.
m = P(a) - Q(b) and M = P(b) - Q(b). Is this correct?

b. γ'(x) = P'(x).Q(x) + P(x).Q'(x). I can not determine whether γ'(x) is positive or negative so I don't understand how to find m and M

c. γ'(x) = 2 P(X) P'(x) - 2 Q(x) Q'(x). The value of γ'(x) is positive so m = P2(a) - Q2(a) and M = P2(b) - Q2(b). Is this correct?

d. γ'(x) = -P'(x) / P2(x) + Q'(x). The value of γ'(x) is negative so m = 1/P(b) + Q(b) and M = 1/P(a) + Q(a). Is this correct?

e. γ'(x) = [tex]\frac{P'(x).Q(x)-P(x).Q'(x)}{Q^{2}(x)} - \frac{Q'(x).P(x)-P'(x).Q(x)}{P^{2}}[/tex]. The value of γ'(x) is positive so m = (P(a))/(Q(a))-(Q(a))/(P(a)) and M = (P(b))/(Q(b))-(Q(b))/(P(b)). Is this correct?

Please help me to verify my answer and guide me how to solve (b). Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi harimakenji! :smile:

your a c d and e look fine

i don't see how you can solve b … it could be anything (wcihi you can see more clearly by taking logs: A = log P, B = logQ, so A is any increasing function, B is any decreasing function, and you want max and min of A + B)

tiny-tim said:

your a c d and e look fine

i don't see how you can solve b … it could be anything (wcihi you can see more clearly by taking logs: A = log P, B = logQ, so A is any increasing function, B is any decreasing function, and you want max and min of A + B)

Hi tiny-tim. Thank you for the response

I don't really get what you are trying to tell me by using the logs. And one more thing, actually the real question doesn't mention anything about P(x) and Q(x) being in the first quadrant. I just added it myself.

If there is no information about the first quadrant, I think we can only answer questions (a) and (d). Do you have the same opinion?

Thank you very much

harimakenji said:
If there is no information about the first quadrant, I think we can only answer questions (a) and (d). Do you have the same opinion?

yes

(and forget the logs, it doesn't matter)

tiny-tim said:

yes

(and forget the logs, it doesn't matter)

Ok, I will forget about the logs for now.

Thank you very much for your help

Related to Increasing and decreasing function in certain interval

What is an increasing function?

An increasing function is a mathematical function where the output values increase as the input values increase. In other words, as the independent variable increases, the dependent variable also increases.

What is a decreasing function?

A decreasing function is a mathematical function where the output values decrease as the input values increase. This means that as the independent variable increases, the dependent variable decreases.

What is an interval in a mathematical function?

In a mathematical function, an interval is a range of values for the independent variable. It can be represented as a closed interval, where both the starting and ending values are included, or an open interval, where the starting and ending values are not included.

How do you determine if a function is increasing or decreasing in a given interval?

To determine if a function is increasing or decreasing in a given interval, you can take the derivative of the function. If the derivative is positive, the function is increasing in that interval. If the derivative is negative, the function is decreasing in that interval. You can also graph the function and observe the direction of the curve in the given interval.

Why is it important to understand increasing and decreasing functions in certain intervals?

Understanding increasing and decreasing functions in certain intervals is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of a function. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.