Incompressible Navier Stokes - Short Question

In summary, Kastenfrosch is having trouble understanding how to calculate v \cdot \nabla. He is discouraged because he doesn't see how the product ∇v is computed. He is encouraged by Brian_C's post on the Wikipedia page on advection, which explains that v \cdot \nabla is just the commutative inner product. However, he is confused because he doesn't see how the product ∇v is computed. Brian_C helps Kastenfrosch understand that v \cdot \nabla is just the sum of the gradients of the vectors v_x, v_y, and v_z, and that the notation (\bold
Kastenfrosch
Hello!

The incompressible Navier Stokes equation consists of the two equations
91cb370cf54fed77024217adf9e1be3e.png

and
1836e71d5aec421e161ea866c465dd1a.png

Why can't i insert the 2nd one into the first one so that the advection term drops out?!
[tex]\nabla\cdot[/tex]v = v[tex]\cdot\nabla[/tex] = 0
=>
(v[tex]\cdot\nabla)\cdot[/tex]v = 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Kastenfrosch, welcome to PF. [itex]\nabla\cdot \bold{v}[/itex] is not a dot product but is rather shorthand for

[tex]\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}[/tex]

There is no such single term as [itex]\bold{v}\cdot\nabla[/itex]. (This dual use of the dot notation has caused a lot of confusion; see, for example, Tai's "http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/7869/5/bad1475.0001.001.pdf"").

Hello and Thanks for your answer!

... but i think i still don't know what to do...

in the linked PDF i saw that there are many definitions, but i didn't find a definition for [tex]v \cdot\nabla[/tex]

encouraged by your post i searched for "abuse of nabla", and i found that it's not right to always treat [tex]\nabla[/tex] as a vector of partial derivatives

But if i can't treat

[tex]v \cdot \nabla[/tex]

as

[tex]\left(v_x,v_y,v_z\right)^T \cdot \left( \frac{d}{dx}, \frac{d}{dy}, \frac{d}{dz} \right)^T[/tex]

, how can i calculate it?

in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advection#Mathematics_of_advection
they treat [tex]v \cdot \nabla[/tex] just as the commutative inner product, don't they?!

Last edited:
I don't see how it's a product; there's no such entity as "[itex]\nabla[/itex]." It's an operator:

[tex](\bold{v}\cdot\nabla)\bold{v}=\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial z}\right)\bold{i}+\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial z}\right)\bold{j}+\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\right)\bold{k}[/tex]

which is not related to [itex]\nabla\cdot\bold{v}[/itex]!

Sorry, perhaps i get you wrong because I'm from germany... So

[tex]
(\nabla \cdot \bold{v})\cdot \bold{v} = \left( \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} \right) \bold{v}
[/tex]
=
[tex]
\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+v_x\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+v_x\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\right)\bold{i}+\left(v_y\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+v_y\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\right)\bold{j}+\left(v_z\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+v_z\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\right)\bold{k}
[/tex]

and so
[tex](\nabla \cdot \bold{v}) \cdot \bold{v} \neq (\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) \bold{v} [/tex]
(because your big-tearm was another one)

But how did you know how [tex] (\bold{v}\cdot\nabla)\bold{v} [/tex] is computed?
Do you first resolve [tex]\bold{v} \cdot \nabla[/tex] and afterwards multiply with [tex]\bold{v}[/tex]?And why do they use inner-product-notation when they don't treat nabla as the partial-derivatives vector and the dot as the dot-product?

Last edited:
Kastenfrosch said:
But how did you now how [tex] (\bold{v}\cdot\nabla)\bold{v} [/tex] is computed?

I had to look it up.

Kastenfrosch said:
And why do they use inner-product-notation when they don't treat nabla as the partial-derivatives vector and the dot as the dot-product?

Because it can be convenient (though risky). (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_of_notation#Del_operator" for an explanation.)

Welcome to PF!

Hi Kastenfrosch! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a del: ∇ :wink:)

If v is a vector, then there's no such thing as ∇v (because ∇ without a dot or a cross can only act on a scalar).

So there really isn't anything else that (v.∇)v could mean. :wink:

Actually, I have seen the gradient operator applied to a vector before. You just take the gradient of each vector component and add them up vectorially. We know that the vector gradient is not used in this case because of the parentheses.

Hi Brian_C! :smile:
Brian_C said:
Actually, I have seen the gradient operator applied to a vector before. You just take the gradient of each vector component and add them up vectorially.

But that's not a vector.

If we call that ∇B, then ∇B(f(x,y),0) = (∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y).

Now rotate the coordinates by a fixed angle θ …

B(f(x,y)cosθ,f(x,y)sinθ) = (∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y)(cosθ + sinθ), which is a completely different vector.

You are right. I was thinking of the Laplacian operator (del squared).

dodgy

Brian_C said:
You are right. I was thinking of the Laplacian operator (del squared).

Yup … I think that was the dodgy Peckham operator (del trotter). :biggrin:

Ah, ok, if i got you right, you mean that

[tex]

(\nabla \cdot \bold{v}) = \left( \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} \right)

[/tex]

whereas

[tex]

(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) = \left( \frac{v_x \partial }{\partial x} + \frac{v_y \partial }{\partial y} + \frac{v_z \partial }{\partial z} \right)
[/tex]

which is not the same, so

[tex]
(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) \neq (\nabla \cdot \bold{v})
[/tex]

so i can't substitute one for another.

If I'm right (please give me a short feedback), I'm really gratefull for having that much patience with me :).

If I'm wrong: buhuuu :(

Kastenfrosch said:
Ah, ok, if i got you right, you mean that

Yes, [tex]

(\nabla \cdot \bold{v}) = \left( \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} \right)

[/tex]

whereas

[tex]

(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) = \left( \frac{v_x \partial }{\partial x} + \frac{v_y \partial }{\partial y} + \frac{v_z \partial }{\partial z} \right)
[/tex]

which is not the same, so

[tex]
(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) \neq (\nabla \cdot \bold{v})
[/tex]

so i can't substitute one for another.

If I'm right (please give me a short feedback), I'm really gratefull for having that much patience with me :).

If I'm wrong: buhuuu :(

Hi Kastenfrosch! :smile:

Yes and no …

Yes [tex](\nabla \cdot \bold{v}) = \left( \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} \right)[/tex]

but

[tex](\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) = \left( \frac{v_x \partial }{\partial x},\ \frac{v_y \partial }{\partial y},\ \frac{v_z \partial }{\partial z} \right) [/tex]

So the first one is a scalar operating on a vector, but the second one is a vector operating on a vector.

Your second one was a scalar, operating on a scalar, the dot-product of v with the gradient: v.(∇f) :wink:

OK, then i still didn't get it...

in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advection
they say, that [tex]\bold{v}\cdot\nabla[/tex] is a scalar.

And if i use
[tex]
[/tex]
and multiply it with v to get
[tex]
(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) \cdot \bold{v}
[/tex]
i get the same result as Mapes in his second Post
[tex]
(\bold{v}\cdot\nabla)\bold{v}=\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial z}\right)\bold{i}+\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial z}\right)\bold{j}+\left(v_x\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}+v_y\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}+v_z\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}\right)\bold{k}
[/tex]
So was it your mistake or am i standing on the hosepipe (german expression for temporarily not understanding obvious things)?

Last edited:
Kastenfrosch said:
they say, that [tex]\bold{v}\cdot\nabla[/tex] is a scalar.

Yes, but that is "the first one" (a scalar operating on a vector).

And it's an unsatisfactory way of writing it. :frown:
And if i use
[tex]
[/tex]
and multiply it with v to get
[tex]
(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) \cdot \bold{v}
[/tex]
i get the same result as Mapes in his second Post

No you don't, it's a scalar (operating on a vector), and if you "multiply" it by v you get

[tex]
(\bold{v} \cdot \nabla)\bold{v} = \left( \frac{v_x \partial\bold{v}}{\partial x} + \frac{v_y \partiall\bold{v}}{\partial y} + \frac{v_z \partiall\bold{v}}{\partial z} \right)
[/tex]

(And you can't "dot" it with v, because it isn't written as a vector, and you can only "dot" two vectors.

But Mapes's :smile: result is right … I got confused by the absence of the second v (but it's still a vector operating on a vector) :redface:

they say, that [tex] \bold{v}\cdot\nabla[/tex] is a scalar.

Yes, but that is "the first one" (a scalar operating on a vector).

what do you mean with "the first one" and "the last one"?
1. = [tex](\nabla \cdot \bold{v})\bold{v}[/tex]
2. = [tex](\bold{v} \cdot \nabla)\bold{v}[/tex]
?

i can see my mistake, that i wrote a [tex]\cdot[/tex] between [tex](\nabla \cdot \bold{v})[/tex] and [tex]\bold{v}[/tex], which is no dot- but a scalar multiplication... But what i meant was multiplying the scalar with the vector.

So if i exchange my dot with a scalar-multiplication sign, I'm right with my last two posts?

Kastenfrosch said:
what do you mean with "the first one" and "the last one"?

"The first one" as in …
tiny-tim said:
Yes [tex](\nabla \cdot \bold{v}) = \left( \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z} \right)[/tex]

but

[tex](\bold{v} \cdot \nabla) = \left( \frac{v_x \partial }{\partial x},\ \frac{v_y \partial }{\partial y},\ \frac{v_z \partial }{\partial z} \right) [/tex]

So the first one is a scalar operating on a vector, but the second one is a vector operating on a vector.

(and I didn't say "the last one" :confused:)
So if i exchange my dot with a scalar-multiplication sign, I'm right with my last two posts?

No, your …
Kastenfrosch said:
[tex]\left( \frac{v_x \partial }{\partial x} + \frac{v_y \partial }{\partial y} + \frac{v_z \partial }{\partial z} \right)
[/tex]

is still wrong, it's a scalar (with "+"s), and you need a vector (with ","s).

Related to Incompressible Navier Stokes - Short Question

1. What is the Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation?

The Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the motion of incompressible fluids. It is a set of partial differential equations that govern the velocity and pressure fields of a fluid.

2. What does "incompressible" mean in the context of the Navier-Stokes equation?

Incompressible in the context of the Navier-Stokes equation means that the fluid has constant density and its volume does not change under applied pressure. This assumption allows for simplification of the equations and is often used to model fluids with low compressibility, such as water or air at low speeds.

3. What are the main applications of the Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation?

The Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation has a wide range of applications in engineering and science, including fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, weather prediction, and oceanography. It is also used in the design of aircrafts, ships, and other vehicles that move through fluids.

4. What are the limitations of the Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation?

The Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation is only applicable to incompressible fluids and cannot accurately model compressible fluids such as gases and high-speed flows. It also assumes that the fluid is Newtonian, meaning that its viscosity does not change with the applied shear stress.

5. What are some numerical methods used to solve the Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation?

Some common numerical methods used to solve the Incompressible Navier-Stokes equation include finite difference methods, finite volume methods, and finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the equations and solving them iteratively to obtain a numerical solution.