Electric field strength near a metal plate

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field strength near the surface of a thin, square metal plate with a total charge of 21 μC applied to it. The formula E = kq/r^2 is mentioned, but the question is where to begin and how to find the magnitude of the electric field. The speaker mentions a simple formula for finding the electric field near the surface of a charged medium, and the conversation ends with the person explaining how they were able to solve the problem and mentioning the term "Gaussian pillbox."
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A total charge of 21 μC is applied to a thin, 1μm square metal plate 72 cm on a side.

Find the electric field strength near the plate's surface, far from the edges.
upload_2017-2-8_13-24-16.png

Homework Equations

I think E = kq/r^2, but I really don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a hard time figuring out where to start. I know I must find the electric field strength (i.e magnitude), but where do I begin and what do I do to find it. I just know that E = kq1q1/r^2, but there is no second charge so it must be kq1/r^2 correct? Do I use that or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
No responses so far. Pressure's off if you've had your exam by now. Still want to address this one ?

There is a simple formula giving the E field near the surface of a charged medium such as a metal plate. Very simple.

BvU said:
No responses so far. Pressure's off if you've had your exam by now. Still want to address this one ?
My exam is today, but I managed to figure this one out. First converting the units into the proper units that I wanted to use I figured that for a plane its q/2a^2 and thus I entered to the units in and divided that by epsilon naught. I got 2.3 MN/C

Yes. My personal association is with the term Gaussian pillbox

A comment on the exercise: I miss the words 'uniformly distributed' ; that way good students easily get wrong-footed.

Related to Electric field strength near a metal plate

What is the definition of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a particular point. It is defined as the amount of force per unit charge that a charged particle would experience at that point.

How is electric field strength affected by distance from a metal plate?

The electric field strength near a metal plate decreases as the distance from the plate increases. This is because the metal plate acts as a conductor, and the electric field lines are attracted to the plate, resulting in a stronger field closer to the plate.

How does the charge on the metal plate affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength near a metal plate is directly proportional to the charge on the plate. This means that the greater the charge on the plate, the stronger the electric field will be near the plate.

Can the shape of the metal plate affect the electric field strength?

Yes, the shape of the metal plate can affect the electric field strength. Different shapes may cause the electric field lines to be more concentrated in certain areas, resulting in a stronger or weaker field near the plate.

What factors determine the electric field strength near a metal plate?

The electric field strength near a metal plate is determined by the charge on the plate, the distance from the plate, and the shape of the plate. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charged objects can also affect the electric field strength near the plate.