Inception: Have You Seen It? Analyze & Discuss

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary: Lastly, it's not hard to tell if you're in a dream, you just have to pay attention. There are experiments you could do to test it.
Curl
Kind of late, but has everyone seen this film? Anyone figured it out? What are your theories on what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
My theory is that Leonardo DiCaprio would be one of the most badass actors in Hollywood if it weren't for Titanic.

That's all he will ever be known for. Fail.

Nothing is going on. Halfway into the movie you realize everyone is unconscious and that you have a crush on Ellen Page. The end.

Since the kids are the same age, it doesn't look as though years have passed. Unless this is a production error, which is more likely, then he's still in a dream.

Newai said:
Since the kids are the same age, it doesn't look as though years have passed. Unless this is a production error, which is more likely, then he's still in a dream.

Bette question is.. If Cobb and Mal spent 50 years in limbo, why were they young on train tracks? And besides, its not about technicalities. Its about romance. Its about dreams and immersion into the philosophical.

cronxeh said:
Bette question is.. If Cobb and Mal spent 50 years in limbo, why were they young on train tracks? And besides, its not about technicalities. Its about romance. Its about dreams and immersion into the philosophical.

They weren't.
Remember towards the end when Cobb was saying that he did inception on Mal? They had a flashback showing them as an old couple and they showed them holding hands on the train track but their hands were aged accordingly

And yah, I want Ellen Page. But then I felt like a pervert.

Although after watching the movie a second time... her character was a B****. She was getting all on Cobbs case and being super nosy

Pengwuino said:
They weren't.
Remember towards the end when Cobb was saying that he did inception on Mal? They had a flashback showing them as an old couple and they showed them holding hands on the train track but their hands were aged accordingly

And yah, I want Ellen Page. But then I felt like a pervert.

Although after watching the movie a second time... her character was a B****. She was getting all on Cobbs case and being super nosy

Ok yeah but no.

Moving on :biggrin:

I don't understand how dying in any dream level with the proper sedation level sends you to limbo. BUT, if you are in the third dream level, simply falling asleep is enough to get there. And if all it took was a death in limbo to be revived to a previous dream level, then what the was the time crunch about? They should've just dealt with it when things weren't so hectic.

After all, they 6.022 x 10bajillion years in dream-time.

Curl said:
Kind of late, but has everyone seen this film? Anyone figured it out? What are your theories on what's going on?

No but give wiki enough time and someone will.

Have you tried wikiing Donnie Darko, for once that public access crap actually makes physical sense. :D

Take The Matrix though, it was dumb as Christmas on philosophy but the philosophy it sparked was sharp as a nail. Sometimes dumb coffee table ideas can spark smart coffee table books or ideas.

Newai said:

Still being in the dream was done better with both Blade Runner the book at least of the film and of course The Matrix and that film about VR games I've forgotten the name of oh and even Total Recall another book of a film by Dick.

the Cube was a good mental mind exercise as well, and Hypercube well that was weird. :D

Last edited:
Calrik said:
...and that film about AI I've forgotten the name of...

You mean A.I.?

ai_artificial_intelligence.jpg

FlexGunship said:
You mean A.I.?

ai_artificial_intelligence.jpg

No eXistenZ.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Wow, I expected some of you to do better than this. Here's what I got:

Kids being the same age isn't a problem, the whole "job" Cobb is doing is only a few months. That, and the kids are wearing different clothes at the end.

If Cobb realized he is in limbo with Mal, he could have easily "killed" her instead of doing the whole inception BS to get her to kill herself. Or, he could have done a "kick" on her (push her off the house).

Speaking of the kick, why would it work when you are in a 2+ dream level? The physics of the liquid in your ear won't work when you're in a dream.

How did Saito get on the plane with Fisher, they know each other (corporate rivals).

How was Mal declared "sane" by 3 psychiatrists? Telling someone you're in a dream would get you an "insane" label instantly.

If the dream world could be altered by the architect, why didn't they just stop bullets or heal Saito when he was dying?

Why do you need a "machine" to go into a deeper dream level? The machine in the dream is imaginary, therefore it doesn't really do anything. It could have been a pizza box.

How is it hard to tell if you're in a dream if you are conscious? There are lots of experiments you could do to test it.

With that said, the movie still isn't broken, I think I figured it out. Trailer gives it away. Watch closely and listen at minute 1:23 - 1:31 (big hint, pause at 1:27)

Anyone get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
You make some points curl. I can address a couple.

I don't see anything wrong with Saito being on the plane with Fisher. Saito bought the airline and arranged everything and Fisher wouldn't know that he was going to be on there. Of course, even if he did notice him, the guys father passed away, I'm sure he wouldn't be in the mood to try to get a different flight or make a big deal of it.

As for Mal, I'm sure she just never mentioned it. She obviously was mentally capable of such deceit considering she setup Cobb when she killed herself.

Also, the architect wouldn't want to put supernatural things into the levels less the dreamer catch on that something is wrong. Plus they were under the assumption that while it was going to be a tough mission, they didn't know Fisher had been trained for an extraction against him so why would they design that into the levels?

I also don't think the walls being too close is a give away. Some buildings are poorly designed and constructed. I've seen things like that in other, normal movies.

The rest of your points are definitely things you have to suspend your disbelief though. I mean, at some point you got to just let them roll with certain ideas haha.

Related to Inception: Have You Seen It? Analyze & Discuss

1. What is "Inception" about?

"Inception" is a science fiction action film directed by Christopher Nolan. It follows a group of people who have the ability to enter others' dreams and steal their secrets. The main character, Dom Cobb, is a thief who is hired to perform the task of "inception" - planting an idea in someone's mind instead of stealing one. The film explores themes of reality, dreams, and the power of the mind.

2. How does the concept of "inception" work?

The concept of "inception" in the film refers to the act of planting an idea in someone's mind through their dreams. This is achieved by entering the person's mind in a dream state and manipulating their subconscious to accept the idea as their own. The process is complex and requires a team of skilled individuals to navigate the layers of the dream world and successfully implant the idea.

3. Who stars in "Inception"?

"Inception" features an ensemble cast including Leonardo DiCaprio as Dom Cobb, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Arthur, Ellen Page as Ariadne, Tom Hardy as Eames, Ken Watanabe as Saito, and Cillian Murphy as Robert Fischer. Other notable actors include Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, and Tom Berenger.

4. Is "Inception" based on a true story?

No, "Inception" is not based on a true story. The film's concept and storyline are entirely fictional, although it draws inspiration from various philosophical and psychological concepts.

5. What makes "Inception" a must-see film?

"Inception" has garnered critical acclaim for its complex and thought-provoking plot, stunning visual effects, and stellar performances from its cast. It also challenges the audience to question the nature of reality and the power of the human mind. Overall, the film offers a unique and gripping cinematic experience that is not to be missed.