In process of earning a B.S. in Mathematics but confused about grad school?

In summary, the speaker is a third-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. They are interested in pursuing a Master of Science in Applied/Financial Mathematics or a PhD in Applied Mathematics, but have questions about graduate school. They are unsure about what students do in graduate school, what type of research they can do, and how to choose a good graduate school. They also discuss their GPA and whether or not they need to take GREs for their desired programs. They offer personal advice on how to choose a graduate school and when the best time to attend may be.
benyahmin
I will be entering my third year of undergrad this fall in the process of earning my Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. My current stats for school such as GPA is 3.74 (no research experience, already taking upper-level undergrad mathematics courses, maybe a few grad courses). However, I am VERY confused about the graduate school, and I hope maybe someone can give me some information/advice/answer some of the questions that I have.

I just want to know a few things about graduate school (especially when you go to grad school for Mathematics). I am really interested in maybe getting a Masters of Science of Applied/Financial Mathematics or a PhD in applied mathematics. But I am wondering a few things:

1. What do students DO in graduate school, especially for applied math?

2. What type of research can one do if they were in a Master/PhD program in grad school?

3. How can you tell when a grad school is "good" for you?

I am just really confused and I am worried if I can get into grad school. I have not taken the general OR Math subject GREs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am NOT the one to answer this question, but my understanding of grad school is that it's more like an apprenticeship with a professor rather than the teacher / student dynamic.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I am NOT the one to answer this question, but my understanding of grad school is that it's more like an apprenticeship with a professor rather than the teacher / student dynamic.

Usually masters degrees are teach/student. Especially if we are talking about a masters in financial mathematics.

1) I believe it is the same for applied as it is for pure in a PhD. You spend your first year passing the qualifiers and then do research under a professor as e^(i Pi)+1=0 stated.

2) The research you would do would be something that interests you. It will probably be focused in an area your adviser specializes in. I can't see any reason to do research you have no interest in as your time would be better spent elsewhere because chances are if you have no interest in what you are doing, your work will not be fruitful.

3) Choose the one you feel fits you best. Most PhD committees also accept students based on fit for their university culture.

If you mean when it is a good time to go to grad school then it really depends on your situation. If you have a job lined up by the time you graduate and it is the career path you want to follow, I don't see why you would want to spend anymore time in school. If the higher degree is necessary for advancement, I would think that it would be smarter to take the job for experience for one or two years before going back to school. There might even be a chance that your company would be willing to help you finance a masters degree because unlike PhDs, masters degrees usually are paid out of pocket. If you need a PhD for advancement, it doesn't hurt you to tell your employer you want to go back to school. If you did will, you can be certain as hell they will take you right back when you graduate.

Last edited:
Your GPA is good, and if you're looking at the master's level you might not need the GRE subject test. I didn't, and my general test scores were optional at some of the places I applied.

I can't tell you about what one *does* in grad school, as I don't start until the fall, but I can tell you how I picked a school I thought would be good for me. It came down to a couple things: location, tuition cost/assistantship opportunities, program flexibility (I'm not sure if I want to do applied or pure math, so I wanted options), and potential to continue into the PhD program if I wanted to later on.

I can understand your confusion about graduate school and the questions you have. I would like to offer some information and advice to help you make an informed decision about pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics.

Firstly, in graduate school, students typically focus on a specific area of mathematics and take advanced courses in that field. In applied mathematics, this could include courses in mathematical modeling, optimization, and statistics, among others. In addition to coursework, students also engage in research projects, which involve applying mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems. This could involve working with data, developing mathematical models, or analyzing systems using mathematical tools.

The type of research one can do in a Master's or PhD program in applied mathematics is diverse and depends on the specific interests and expertise of the faculty at the institution. Some examples of research topics in applied mathematics include climate modeling, financial risk analysis, and computational biology. It is important to research the faculty and their areas of expertise at the schools you are considering to find a program that aligns with your interests.

Determining if a graduate school is "good" for you depends on various factors such as the faculty, research opportunities, and resources available at the institution. It is essential to do thorough research on the programs and talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program's strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, you can also look at rankings and accreditation to get an idea of the school's reputation in the field of mathematics.

Regarding your concerns about getting into graduate school, I would recommend taking the time to prepare for the GRE exams, as they are often required for admission. It is also beneficial to gain research experience and develop strong relationships with professors who can provide you with letters of recommendation. These factors, along with your GPA and coursework, will play a significant role in your application.

In conclusion, pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience, but it is essential to do thorough research and carefully consider your options before making a decision. I would also encourage you to reach out to professors or advisors at your university for more personalized advice and guidance. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to In process of earning a B.S. in Mathematics but confused about grad school?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics?

Earning a graduate degree in mathematics can open up a variety of career opportunities, such as teaching at the university level or working in research and development. It also allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to specialize in a specific area of mathematics.

2. What is the difference between a Master's degree and a Ph.D. in mathematics?

A Master's degree typically takes two years to complete and focuses on coursework and a final project or thesis. A Ph.D. takes longer (usually 4-6 years) and requires original research, culminating in a dissertation. A Ph.D. is typically necessary for those interested in pursuing a career in academia or research.

3. Are there any specific requirements for admission into a graduate program for mathematics?

Admission requirements vary by program, but most will expect applicants to have completed a Bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, have a strong foundation in mathematics coursework, and have competitive scores on standardized tests like the GRE.

4. How can I prepare for a graduate program in mathematics while earning my Bachelor's degree?

It is important to take a variety of advanced mathematics courses during your undergraduate studies, such as abstract algebra, real analysis, and topology. It can also be helpful to get involved in research projects or internships related to mathematics. Strong letters of recommendation from professors and a high GPA can also improve your chances of admission.

5. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics?

Many graduate programs in mathematics offer teaching or research assistantships, which provide a stipend and cover tuition costs. These positions allow students to gain valuable teaching or research experience while pursuing their degree. However, the workload of a graduate program can be demanding, so it may be difficult to balance a full-time job with your studies.