In parallel universes, everything that can happen happens, but why?

In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of quantum mechanics and the idea of parallel universes. The multiverse theory is discussed, with some arguing that it is just one interpretation of quantum theory. Others question the likelihood of multiple universes or the idea of being in a computer simulation. The conversation also mentions the concept of consciousness and the possibility of switching bodies in a virtual world. However, it is noted that this is all speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt. The foundations of quantum mechanics and the associated linear operator theory are mentioned, but it is noted that this may require a deeper understanding of mathematics.
empleat
Hello,
on quantum theory of parallel universes.
It seems quite ridiculous to me, in quantum mechanics everything, that's not forbiden by rules happes.
Are there some theories why it may be ? Or is it to early to even speculate about that.
Elon musk said, that there is chance bilion to one, that we are in computer simulation.
Perhaps our creators, just testing something out, and bilion years here, is like couple days for them, or weeks, or 3 minutes perhaps :D
Why would they care about us ? We also smash bugs and don't even thing about it, it is quite depressing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
empleat said:
It seems quite ridiculous to me, in quantum mechanics everything, that's not forbiden by rules happes.

Why? It's just simple probability. If you roll a trillion dice over and over and over, you'll eventually roll every single possible combination.
Also, the multiverse theory is more accurately an interpretation, not a separate theory itself. It's just one of several possible ways of interpreting quantum theory.

empleat said:
Elon musk said, that there is chance bilion to one, that we are in computer simulation.

Elon Musk has no idea what the probability is that we are in a simulation. No on does.

empleat said:
Perhaps our creators, just testing something out, and bilion years here, is like couple days for them, or weeks, or 3 minutes perhaps :D
Why would they care about us ? We also smash bugs and don't even thing about it, it is quite depressing to me.

Meh. It doesn't keep me up at night. :biggrin:

Likes bhobba
empleat said:
It seems quite ridiculous to me, in quantum mechanics everything, that's not forbiden by rules happens.
Take heart, It is ridiculous and furthermore it is not standard quantum mechanics. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Standard quantum mechanics includes the operator theory which states that observables are represented by operators and the probability of an outcome is determined by the eigenvalues of the operator.
This is thrown out in MW and replaced with "every possible outcome happens once". How can they still be the same theory ?

Likes bhobba
Drakkith said:
Elon Musk has no idea what the probability is that we are in a simulation. No on does.

Ye but a lot of physisist share this opinion, that it is very like so, i read on bbc.
We already making pc games and consciousness, is just chemical and electrical reactions in brain, it is biological computer created from iorganic mass.
And because we will be able to do same thing, ray kurzwell is saying, that we will be able switch our bodies rapidly in virtual world,
undistinguishable
from reality, where is pain and pleasure and feelings.

Drakkith said:
Why? It's just simple probability. If you roll a trillion dice over and over and over, you'll eventually roll every single possible combination.
Also, the multiverse theory is more accurately an interpretation, not a separate theory itself. It's just one of several possible ways of interpreting quantum theory.

Exactly why is there happening every possible combination at the same time, it is just absurd.
What could be reason for that ?
So in some parallel universe i die in fire for example, so fun...

empleat said:
Ye but a lot of physisist share this opinion, that it is very like so, i read on bbc.

And a lot of physicists do not. And both groups use the exact same underlying math and make the exact same predictions for any observable experiment. There is utterly no evidence that parallel universes exist, so the idea should be treated with a healthy amount of skepticism in my opinion.

Likes jon4444, bhobba and Mentz114
empleat said:
Yes but a lot of physisist share this opinion, that it is very like so, i read on bbc
If you want to learn physics, read textbooks, not news sources - not even reputable ones like the BBC. What you've been hearing isn't a serious explanation of the multiple worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum mechanics, it's closer to an urban legend.

Likes bhobba
empleat said:
Exactly why is there happening every possible combination at the same time, it is just absurd.
What could be reason for that ? So in some parallel universe i die in fire for example, so fun...

You are just saying some of things promulgated by popularization's. The theory is in fact very precise on such things with one thing that linguistically perhaps is imprecise, The rest is very precise.

I will state the two axioms from which everything follows - although at the beginning level you are not likely to understand it (it requires linear algebra which most do not do until university - although I believe is should be at HS - but that is another issue and another thread).

1. Associated with every observation on a system is a linear operator, O, whose eigenvalues give the possible outcomes of the observation.
2. The average of the possible outcomes is given by the formula Trace (OS) where S is a positive operator of unit trace, by definition called the state of the system.

Interestingly 2 can to some extent be derived from 1 using something called Gleason's theorem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason's_theorem

That it, that's all. A good textbook like Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development derives all of QM from just those two axioms. But unfortunately is advanced - you need to build up to it with a beginning and intermediate course in QM first, as well as courses in calculus and linear algebra.

Now you see the single imprecise thing - observation.
1. What is an observation.
2. When exactly does it occcur. That's part of the concept of collapse which some interpretations have - but others do not. However I will also tell you some believe collapse is inherent - some do not (I am in that camp).

There are probably others as well.

Much work has been done in sorting it out. I will not give the possible answers here - they are involved with interpretations on which there are many:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics

The idea we are living in some kind of simulation is a rarely held one.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Related to In parallel universes, everything that can happen happens, but why?

1. Why do we believe in the existence of parallel universes?

The concept of parallel universes is based on the theory of multiverse, which suggests that there are multiple universes besides our own. This theory is supported by quantum mechanics and cosmology, which provide evidence for the existence of other dimensions and parallel realities.

2. What is the difference between parallel universes and alternate realities?

Parallel universes refer to different versions of our own universe, where everything is the same except for slight variations that could have occurred due to different choices or events. Alternate realities, on the other hand, are completely separate universes with different laws of physics and completely different realities.

3. How does the concept of parallel universes relate to the concept of time travel?

The existence of parallel universes suggests that there are infinite possibilities and outcomes for every event. This means that time travel could potentially lead to different versions of our reality, creating parallel universes. However, the concept of time travel and its relation to parallel universes is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4. Can we ever prove the existence of parallel universes?

While there is evidence and theories that support the existence of parallel universes, it is currently impossible to prove their existence with our current technology and understanding of the universe. However, as technology and scientific advancements progress, it is possible that we may one day be able to gather evidence for their existence.

5. If everything that can happen happens in parallel universes, does that mean there are infinite versions of ourselves?

The theory of parallel universes suggests that there are infinite versions of ourselves in other universes, where we may have made different choices or experienced different events. However, it is important to note that these versions of ourselves may not be exactly the same as we are in this universe, as even small changes can lead to significant differences in our lives.