In dealing with differential equations

In summary, the online program does not accept a solution for x(t) = k that is equal to c or K. The only solutions that are accepted are those that involve the variable t.
Badgerspin
Ok, I've been working this one out for a while, and I just can't seem to get it.

I'm looking for the condition such that x(t)=k (where in our class, K generally equals e^c)

The initial equation is as such:

7t^2(dx/dt)+3x+5=0

I've worked the equation down to two different forms:

x = (-e^((3/7t)-3c)-5)/3

and

x = c*e^(3/7t) - 3/5

For the life of me, I can't figure out what K (or C I suppose) equals in order so that x(t) = k

This is online work, and it only accepts a precise answer for credit.

It's also not letting me enter the variable t as an answer for c (or K), so I'm wondering if there's maybe an error in what was programmed as the correct answer.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing or another way that I need to work the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't show all your steps but I assume one of your steps might have been:

[tex]\ln (3x+5) = \frac 3 {7t} + 3C[/tex]

leading to

[tex]3x+5 = e^{\frac 3 {7t}+3C}[/tex]

You would normally write this

[tex]3x+5 = e^{3C}e^{\frac 3 {7t}}[/tex]

and rename the e3C as K. Try that.

It's still not letting me enter in a variable as a solution.

I worked it out as shown (thank you).

So:

k = (ke^(3/7t) - 5)/3

or working with k = e^c

((k^3)e^(3/7t)-5)/3

In either case, it's still not letting me enter in any variables. If there's a solution to this problem that's all constants, I can't seem to find it. The only solutions I can come up with all involve the variable t.

I'm a bit confused about what you're looking for. x(t)=k would only hold for some particular value of t, call it [tex]t_0[/tex] and you haven't stated such an initial condition [tex]x(t_0) =k[/tex]. Has one been specified in the problem?

Secondly you refer to a "solution to this problem that's all constants," but you have already found one, which is the particular solution [tex]x_p = -5/3[/tex]. This is of course different from an initial condition.

fzero,

I punched in -5/3 and it said it was correct. When you say different initial conditions, what condition are you talking about? I'm not quite following that.

What I mean is when you have an equation y' = y and are given the initial condition y(0) =1. The general solution is y = c et, but the initial condition requires that c=1. In general you need an initial condition if you want to fix an integration constant.

Related to In dealing with differential equations

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and understand phenomena in various scientific fields, including physics, biology, and economics.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, partial differential equations often have more complex solutions compared to ordinary differential equations.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, exact equations, and using integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand a wide range of phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. They are also essential in engineering, economics, and other scientific fields.

5. How do differential equations relate to calculus?

Calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, and differential equations are a tool used in calculus to describe and analyze changes in a system. In fact, differential equations are often referred to as the language of calculus.