Impulse and dispersive studies on fragmentation and armor

In summary, as a new member of the US Marine Corps Reserve, you have been assigned the task of driving trucks and are interested in modifying your vehicle for potential deployment into live action. You have concerns about different methods of destruction and are considering using spaced and angled armor plates. It is important to consider the type of threats you may encounter and consult with professionals to ensure safe and effective modifications. Thank you for your service and stay safe.
GreenAce92
Hello,

I have just enlisted in the US Marine Corps Reserve and my first job as I was told is to drive trucks. Convoy.

I was also told that I have the ability to modify my vehicle, that they would teach me to weld.

So if I happen to get deployed into live action, I would like to armor up my vehicle as best as I can.

One thing I'm concerned about is different methods of destruction whether it be a rocket propelled grenade, a missile or fragmentation from small arms or IED's.

I had a question about plate spacing and if empty space between plates had any effect on the stopping capability of armor.

Another topic I wanted to ask about was the use of shingle like armor, over lapping plates with angled edges to deflect small fragmentation away from the people inside the vehicle (me).

Attached is a simple drawing of what I mean.

2012-12-11001913.jpg

The first two images of what appear to be two solid blocks are what I am using to depict plate spacing. Would it be better for a perpendicular projectile to hit two solid plates mounted directly to each other or two plates with spacing in between?

The next image simply depicts the angles of the edges which I would think as a pre-thought would help deflect fragmentation.

I don't know what kind of freedom I actually have with this vehicle modification but I would still like to know for my own knowledge.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, thank you for your service in the US Marine Corps Reserve. I can provide some insights and recommendations for armor modifications on your vehicle.

The first thing to consider is the type of threats that you may encounter in live action. As you mentioned, there could be rocket propelled grenades, missiles, small arms fire, and IEDs. Each of these threats have different characteristics and can require different types of armor for protection.

For example, rocket propelled grenades and missiles are highly explosive and can create large amounts of pressure and heat upon impact. In this case, it would be beneficial to have a combination of both spaced armor and angled plates. The spacing between plates allows for the pressure and heat to dissipate before reaching the next layer of armor, reducing the overall impact on the vehicle. The angled plates can also help to deflect the blast away from the vehicle.

On the other hand, small arms fire and fragmentation from IEDs are more likely to be stopped by solid armor. In this case, having solid plates mounted directly to each other would be more effective as there is no space for the projectile or fragments to pass through.

Regarding the use of shingle-like armor, this can be effective in certain situations but may not be as practical for a vehicle. Shingle-like armor is typically used on infantry body armor, where the individual can move and adjust their position to maximize the effectiveness of the armor. In a vehicle, this may not be possible and the armor may not be as effective.

In terms of your freedom to modify the vehicle, it is important to follow proper procedures and regulations set by the Marine Corps. It is also important to consult with a trained professional in vehicle armor modifications to ensure the modifications are safe and effective.

I hope this information helps and I wish you all the best in your service. Stay safe.

Related to Impulse and dispersive studies on fragmentation and armor

1. What is the purpose of impulse and dispersive studies on fragmentation and armor?

The purpose of these studies is to understand the behavior of materials under high-velocity impact, such as explosions or collisions, and to develop better armor materials for protection against these types of events.

2. How is impulse related to fragmentation and armor?

Impulse is a measure of the force and duration of an impact, which is directly related to the amount of damage or fragmentation that occurs. In armor materials, a higher impulse can lead to greater damage, while a lower impulse can result in better protection.

3. What is dispersive shock wave propagation and how does it affect fragmentation and armor?

Dispersive shock wave propagation is the behavior of shock waves as they travel through a material. It can cause variations in material properties, leading to variations in fragmentation and armor performance.

4. How do scientists study impulse and dispersive effects on fragmentation and armor?

Scientists use a combination of experimental techniques, such as high-speed cameras and pressure sensors, and computer simulations to study the behavior of materials under high-velocity impact. These studies provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of fragmentation and armor performance.

5. What are the potential applications of impulse and dispersive studies on fragmentation and armor?

The results of these studies can inform the design and development of more effective armor materials for military and civilian applications, such as protective gear for soldiers and first responders, and structural reinforcements for buildings and vehicles.