Improving Phrase Search on PF: A Solution for More Accurate Results

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary, PF seems to have searched for any ONE of the words which could have different meanings by themselves.
WiFO215
When I search for things on PF, quite often I find myself searching for a phrase rather than for a single word. However when the results return, PF seems to have searched for any ONE of the words which could have different meanings by themselves. For instance, my most recent search was for 'Derren Brown' (a person) and the search returned results which included simply the word 'brown' which has no correlation to what I was searching for.

Could you please include an option which says "search for the full phrase/ search for any word in the phrase to return as results" and then we could pick one of the options. It would make it far more convenient.

Please and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good suggestion, I wonder how much work it would be to implement.

In the meantime you could use google to search for phrases:
site:physicsforums.com "derren brown"

Just make sure to order the results by date, to avoid reviving long-lost threads :smile:

Monique said:
It is a good suggestion, I wonder how much work it would be to implement.

In the meantime you could use google to search for phrases:
site:physicsforums.com "derren brown"

Just make sure to order the results by date, to avoid reviving long-lost threads :smile:

That's what I've been doing till now. :-p

If I do a forum search for "derren brown" (with the quotes marks), I get the same as for a google search …

or is that because I'm a PF contributor?​

tiny-tim said:
If I do a forum search for "derren brown" (with the quotes marks), I get the same as for a google search …

or is that because I'm a PF contributor?​

Advisors and Contributers have boolean searching which includes quoting

search-by-phrase

Greg Bernhardt said:
Advisors and Contributers have boolean searching which includes quoting

Perhaps this could be made clearer, to encourage contributing?

"search-by-phrase" rather than (or in addition to) "boolean searching"?

And maybe give that info in the Search drop-down menu, as well as in the Upgrade one?

On the subject of booelan searching, I just tried a boolean search for "inertia -moment", which should give all threads with "inertia" but without "moment" …

but it doesn't. :redface:

(and yes, I did try the google site method, but that gives me every post, which is really inconvenient)

Can you guys add the option not to search in subforums? For instance, sometimes I might want to just search the Academic Guidance forum and not the Science Book discussions. When results pop up from everywhere, it becomes hard to skim though everything sometimes.

anirudh215 said:
Can you guys add the option not to search in subforums? For instance, sometimes I might want to just search the Academic Guidance forum and not the Science Book discussions. When results pop up from everywhere, it becomes hard to skim though everything sometimes.
Did you deselect the default, which is to search in child forums?

Is it possible to use Google to search in a specific subforum?

anirudh215 said:
Is it possible to use Google to search in a specific subforum?
I don't see any way to do it. There is no url that is both common, and unique to, posts in a specific subforum. So using the "site:xxx..." trick at Google doesn't work.

This is getting silly. If I search for WKB on the PF search engine, it says
1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

How ridiculous.

anirudh215 said:
This is getting silly. If I search for WKB on the PF search engine, it says
1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

How ridiculous.

I think a search term needs to have four or more characters. You should just use google for this specific search.

Related to Improving Phrase Search on PF: A Solution for More Accurate Results

1. What is "Addition to the search bar"?

"Addition to the search bar" refers to any additional features or tools that are added to a search bar, such as filters, autocomplete suggestions, or advanced search options. This is done to enhance the user's search experience and make it easier to find relevant results.

2. Why is "Addition to the search bar" important?

"Addition to the search bar" is important because it can improve the accuracy and efficiency of a search. By providing users with more options and tools, they can better refine their search and find what they are looking for more quickly. It also helps to make the search process more user-friendly and intuitive.

3. How does "Addition to the search bar" work?

The specific workings of "Addition to the search bar" can vary depending on the features or tools being added. However, in general, these additions use algorithms and databases to analyze the user's search query and suggest relevant results or provide filters to narrow down the search. They may also use artificial intelligence or machine learning to improve the search results over time.

4. What are some examples of "Addition to the search bar"?

Some examples of "Addition to the search bar" include autocomplete suggestions, which provide a list of potential search terms as the user types, and filters, which allow the user to refine their search by certain criteria such as date, location, or category. Other examples may include advanced search options, voice search capabilities, or personalized recommendations based on the user's search history.

5. How can "Addition to the search bar" benefit businesses?

"Addition to the search bar" can benefit businesses by improving the overall user experience and making it easier for customers to find what they are looking for. This can lead to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty. It can also help businesses gather data and insights about their customers' search habits, which can inform marketing strategies and product offerings.