Improper integrals (Comparison Test)

In summary: For 3) you wish to determine if \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_2^\infty{\frac{1}{1 - x^2}\,dx} \end{align*} is convergent.We can use a similar approach as in 2) by breaking up the integral into two parts and using the Comparison Test. For all $x\in [2,\infty)$: $$0\leq 1-x^2=(1+x)(1-x)\leq 2(1-x)\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2(1-x)}\leq \frac{1}{1-x^2}$$ But $\displaystyle\int_2^\infty\
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Use the comparison test to find out whether or not the following improper integral exist(converge)?
1)integral(upper bound:pi lower bound:0)1/((sinx)^p) dx,p<1
2)integral(upper bound:1 lower bound:0) 1/(1-x^2) dx
3)integral(upper bound:infinity lower bound:2) 1/(1-x^2) dx
I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$(1)$ $I_1=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is improper at $x=0$ and $I_2=\displaystyle\int_{\pi/2}^{\pi}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is improper at $x=\pi$. Then, $I=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is convergent iff $I_1$ and $I_2$ are both convergent. If $p<1$, $h(t)=t^p$ is decreasing on $(0,1]$ so if $x\in(0,1]$: $$0<\sin x<x\Rightarrow 0<x^p<\sin^p x\Rightarrow 0<\frac{1}{\sin^p x}<\frac{1}{x^p}$$ According to a well known property $\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{x^p} $ is convergent, so $\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is also convergent. But $$I_1=\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}+ \displaystyle\int_1^{\pi/2}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$$ and $f(x)=1/\sin^p x$ is continuous on $[1,\pi/2]$, so $I_1$ is convergent. With the substitution $t=\pi-x$ we easily verify $I_2=I_1$ that is, $I$ is convergent if $p<1.$

P.S. If someone wants to solve $(2)$ and $(3)$ ...

Fernando Revilla said:
$(1)$ $I_1=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is improper at $x=0$ and $I_2=\displaystyle\int_{\pi/2}^{\pi}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is improper at $x=\pi$. Then, $I=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is convergent iff $I_1$ and $I_2$ are both convergent. If $p<1$, $h(t)=t^p$ is decreasing on $(0,1]$ so if $x\in(0,1]$: $$0<\sin x<x\Rightarrow 0<x^p<\sin^p x\Rightarrow 0<\frac{1}{\sin^p x}<\frac{1}{x^p}$$ According to a well known property $\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{x^p} $ is convergent, so $\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$ is also convergent. But $$I_1=\displaystyle\int_0^{1}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}+ \displaystyle\int_1^{\pi/2}\frac{dx}{\sin^px}$$ and $f(x)=1/\sin^p x$ is continuous on $[1,\pi/2]$, so $I_1$ is convergent. With the substitution $t=\pi-x$ we easily verify $I_2=I_1$ that is, $I$ is convergent if $p<1.$

P.S. If someone wants to solve $(2)$ and $(3)$ ...
thank you,
can you help me with 2 and 3?

Fernando Revilla said:
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

For 2) you wish to determine if \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{\frac{1}{1 - x^2}\,dx} \end{align*}\) is convergent.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{\frac{1}{1 - x^2}\,dx} &= \int_0^1{\frac{1}{(1 - x)(1 + x)}\,dx} \\ &= \int_0^1{\frac{1}{2(1 - x)} + \frac{1}{2(1 + x)}\,dx} \\ &= \lim_{\epsilon \to 1^+} \int_0^\epsilon{ \frac{1}{2(1 - x)} + \frac{1}{2(1 + x)}\,dx } \\ &= \lim_{\epsilon \to 1^+} \left[ -\frac{1}{2}\ln{|1 - x|} + \frac{1}{2}\ln{|1 + x|} \right]_0^\epsilon \end{align*}\)

Since it should be obvious that this will go to \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \infty \end{align*}\), the integral is divergent.

For all $x\in [0,1)$: $$0\leq 1-x^2=(1+x)(1-x)\leq 2(1-x)\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2(1-x)}\leq \frac{1}{1-x^2}$$ But $\displaystyle\int_0^1\frac{dx}{2(1-x)}=\left[-\frac{\color{red}1}{\color{red}2}\log (1-x)\right]_0^{1}=+\infty$ so, by the Comparison Test $\displaystyle\int_0^1\frac{dx}{1-x^2}$ is divergent.

renyikouniao said:
thank you,
can you help me with 2 and 3?

Please, show some work for 3).

Last edited:

Related to Improper integrals (Comparison Test)

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or where the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote within the bounds of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using standard methods and requires a different approach.

2. How is the Comparison Test used to evaluate improper integrals?

The Comparison Test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent integral. If the given integral is larger than the known integral, it also diverges. If it is smaller, it converges. If they are equal, the convergence or divergence is inconclusive.

3. What is the difference between a Type 1 and Type 2 improper integral?

A Type 1 improper integral has one or both of its limits of integration as infinite. A Type 2 improper integral has a function that is undefined or has a vertical asymptote within the bounds of integration. The Comparison Test can be used to evaluate both types of improper integrals.

4. Can the Comparison Test always be used to evaluate improper integrals?

No, the Comparison Test can only be used if the given integral can be expressed as a positive function and can be compared to a known integral. If the given integral is negative, the Comparison Test cannot be used.

5. What are some other methods for evaluating improper integrals?

Other methods for evaluating improper integrals include the Limit Comparison Test, which is used when the given integral cannot be compared to a known integral, and the Cauchy Principal Value, which is used for integrals with infinite limits of integration and a function that is undefined at the point of integration.