Improper integral with e^(-x/2)e^(-x^2/2). Realling annoying.

In summary: All good now!In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving e^x and e^-x^2 and attempts to solve it using integration by parts. However, completing the square in the exponent reveals that the integral is a gaussian integral and can be solved using the relevant equation. The final solution is e^(1/8) * sqrt(pi/2).
Gregg

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x\over 2}e^{-x^2\over 2} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2\over a} dx = \sqrt{\pi\over a} [/tex] [tex] a>0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't seem to penetrate it, I thought about trying to isolate the second term with integration by parts.

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x\over 2}e^{-x^2\over 2} dx = e^{x\over 2}\int e^{-x^2\over 2}dx - \int \frac{d}{dx}e^{x\over 2} \left[ \int e^{-x^2\over 2} dx \right] dx [/tex]

But I don't think there's any sensible way to put limits in on the RHS to eliminate those factors.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}=e^{\frac{x^2-x^2}{2}}=e^0=1[/tex]

Are you sure you typed the integrand properly?EDIT: sorry I am blind.

Last edited:
Yeah re-read it! One is squared one isn't.

My last comment could look like "yeah re-read it [past tense]..." I still can't do this.

Try completing the square in the exponent.

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x\over 2}e^{{-x^2}\over 2} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{1}{2}(x-\frac{1}{2})^2+\frac{1}{8}} dx [/tex]

[tex] = e^{\frac{1}{8}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{u^2}{-2}} du = e^{\frac{1}{8}}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} [/tex]

Thanks!

Careful, your 'Relevant equation' is wrong. For gaussian integrals,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

That was a typo by me!

Related to Improper integral with e^(-x/2)e^(-x^2/2). Realling annoying.

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have a finite value because either the function being integrated or the limits of integration are not well-defined.

How do I solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first identify the type of improper integral (infinite limits or infinite integrand), then use appropriate techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or the comparison test.

What is the purpose of e^(-x/2)e^(-x^2/2) in the integral?

The function e^(-x/2)e^(-x^2/2) is the integrand in this improper integral. It is used to represent a decaying function that tends towards 0 as x approaches infinity, making it suitable for solving certain types of improper integrals.

Why is this improper integral annoying?

This improper integral can be annoying because it does not have an easily identifiable solution and may require advanced techniques to solve. Additionally, the presence of the exponential function can make the integral more complicated to evaluate.

What are some real-world applications of this type of improper integral?

Improper integrals with exponential functions can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as radioactive decay, population growth, and heat transfer. They are also commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values.