Improper integral, infinite limits of integration

In summary, the given function diverges as it approaches infinity, and convergence cannot be determined without knowing the specific limits of the integral. The antiderivative is an even function, but subtracting the limits of infinity is not a valid method and should not be used. The function can be approximated by 1/x for large positive values, indicating divergence.
nick.martinez

∫ x/(x^2+1) dx
-∞

I basicaly evaluated the integral and Ln (x^2+1) as the antiderivative and when taking the limits I get ∞-∞

(ln |1| -ln|b+1|) + (ln|n+1|- ln|1|)

lim b-> neg. infinity lim n-> infinity

does this function converge or diverge? this was a question on the quiz and everyone in class after said the function converges to zero. I'm a littled puzzled by this.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx = \lim_{a \to -\infty} \int_{a}^{0} \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx + \lim_{b\to\infty} \int_{0}^{b} \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx##

The limits are separate, and you need convergence in both. Your friends are thinking of the Cauchy principle value, but unless the problem explicitly asks for it, you should not give that as the answer.

so does it converge or diverge?

Also I looked on harvard, and university of portlands website, and it says that the function diverges.

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~keerthi/files/1b_fall_2011/worksheet11_solns.pdf
end of pg. 1 and beginning of page 2

Last edited by a moderator:
pwsnafu said:
##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx = \lim_{a \to -\infty} \int_{a}^{0} \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx + \lim_{b\to\infty} \int_{0}^{b} \frac{x}{x^2+1} \, dx##

The limits are separate, and you need convergence in both. Your friends are thinking of the Cauchy principle value, but unless the problem explicitly asks for it, you should not give that as the answer.

Also, when looking at the antiderivative of Ln|x^2+1| i see that it is an even function does this mean you can subtract ∞-∞ since the function is approaching infinity at the same rate? If not, when is this method applied, if it is at all? ha? I really want to understand this problem. Apparently my teacher loves surprising us on tests and quizzes.

nick.martinez said:
so does it converge or diverge?
For large positive values of ##x##, the integrand is approximately ##1/x##. What can you conclude?

it would have to diverge because taking the limit as Ln|x| as x-> infinity diverges, correct?

nick.martinez said:
it would have to diverge because taking the limit as Ln|x| as x-> infinity diverges, correct?
Yes, that's right.

Related to Improper integral, infinite limits of integration

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or where the function being integrated is unbounded on the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can evaluate it using the limit definition of the integral. If it diverges, you must use other methods such as comparison or the Cauchy principal value to determine its value.

3. What is the difference between a proper and an improper integral?

A proper integral has finite limits of integration and the function being integrated is bounded on the interval of integration. An improper integral has one or both infinite limits of integration or an unbounded function on the interval of integration.

4. Can an improper integral have a finite value?

Yes, an improper integral can have a finite value if it converges. However, if it diverges, it will have an infinite value.

5. Can an improper integral be solved using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

No, the fundamental theorem of calculus only applies to proper integrals. Improper integrals must be evaluated using other methods such as the limit definition or comparison.