Improper integral comparison test

In summary, the given integral \int_{0}^{\infty } \frac{\left | sinx \right |}{x^2} dx is split into two separate integrals, one from 0 to pi/2 and the other from pi/2 to infinity. In the first interval, it is possible to establish an inequality between |\sin(x)| and a non-periodic function, such as f(x) = x, but this is not possible in the second interval. Therefore, it cannot be determined whether the given function converges or diverges.
hitemup
Member warned about not using the homework template
The question asks whether the following converges or diverges.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty } \frac{\left | sinx \right |}{x^2} dx[/tex]

Now I think there might be a trick with the domain of sine function but I couldn't make up my mind on this.
I tried to compare it with 1/x^2, (sinx)/x, and sinx. I actually expected that I would get something good with 1/x^2, but as the lower limit of the integral is zero, it ended up with infinity on (0, inf) and since 1/x^2 is greater than (sinx)/x^2, and is divergent as we just found, we cannot say whether the given function diverges or converges. So I'm wondering what is the right track on this question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty } \frac{\left | sinx \right |}{x^2} dx = [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{ \frac{\pi}{2} } \frac{\left | sinx \right |}{x^2} dx + \int_{ \frac{\pi}{2} }^{\infty} \frac{\left | sinx \right |}{x^2} dx [/tex]

Deal with the two integrals separately.

In the interval [itex] [0,\frac{\pi}{2}] [/itex] you can establish an inequality between [itex] |\sin(x)| [/itex] and a non-periodic function. Try comparing it to [itex] f(x) = x [/itex].

Related to Improper integral comparison test

1. What is an improper integral comparison test?

The improper integral comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent integral.

2. How is the comparison test used to determine convergence?

The comparison test states that if the integral in question is smaller than a known convergent integral, then it must also converge. If the integral is larger than a known divergent integral, then it must also diverge.

3. Can the comparison test be used for all improper integrals?

No, the comparison test can only be used for improper integrals with non-negative integrands. It cannot be applied to integrals with negative values or oscillating functions.

4. What is the difference between the direct and limit comparison test?

The direct comparison test involves directly comparing the integrand of the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral. The limit comparison test involves taking the limit of the ratio of the two integrands to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any limitations to the comparison test?

Yes, the comparison test can only be used to determine convergence or divergence, it cannot determine the exact value of the integral. It also requires a known convergent or divergent integral to compare to, which may not always be available.