Improper integral comparison test

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for determining whether the given function, \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^2 dx}{x^5+1}, converges or diverges. The speaker suggests using a comparison test with the function \frac{x^2}{x^5}, which is greater than the given function, and adding a rectangle formed by x=0, y=0 and x=1, y=1/2 to prove convergence.
hitemup
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^2 dx}{x^5+1}[/tex]
The question asks whether this function diverges or converges.
I have tried to do some comparisons with x^2/(x^6+1), and x^2/(x^3+1) but it didn't end up with something good.

Then I decided to compare it with [tex] \frac{x^2}{x^4+1}[/tex]
Since this function converges and is greater than the given function on [tex](1,\infty )[/tex] it proves that the given function converges too. But it almost takes one page to integrate this function so I thought there must be an easier way to handle this. What other function can I think of rather than this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've found it.

[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^5}[/tex] is greater than the given function. Can I do comparison test between these two on (1, infinity)? Then I add the rectangle formed by x = 0 y =0 and x= 1 y=1/2 which comes from the given function. Sum of these two areas must be finite and greater than x^2/(x^5+1), so it proves asked expression is convergent, doesn't it?

hitemup said:
I think I've found it.

[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^5}[/tex] is greater than the given function.
This is the most obvious one to use for comparison. It should have been your first choice, but it takes some practice to be able to notice things like this right away. Note that x2/x5 is the same as 1/x3.
hitemup said:
Can I do comparison test between these two on (1, infinity)?
I don't see anything wrong with that. Your original integrand is defined on the interval [0, 1], so it's easy enough to evaluate the integral using those limits. Then you can both integrals on [1, ∞).
hitemup said:
Then I add the rectangle formed by x = 0 y =0 and x= 1 y=1/2 which comes from the given function. Sum of these two areas must be finite and greater than x^2/(x^5+1), so it proves asked expression is convergent, doesn't it?

Likes hitemup

Related to Improper integral comparison test

1. What is the Improper Integral Comparison Test?

The Improper Integral Comparison Test is a mathematical method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral. It involves comparing the given integral to a known integral that is either known to converge or diverge.

2. How is the Comparison Test used to evaluate improper integrals?

The Comparison Test states that if the given integral is less than or equal to a convergent integral, then it must also converge. Similarly, if the given integral is greater than or equal to a divergent integral, then it must also diverge. This allows us to determine the convergence or divergence of the given integral by comparing it to a known integral.

3. What types of functions can be used in the Comparison Test?

The Comparison Test can be used with any continuous and positive function that is defined on the interval of integration. This includes polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Comparison Test?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Comparison Test. It can only be used for integrals with infinite limits of integration, and the function being integrated must be positive and continuous on the interval of integration. Additionally, the Comparison Test cannot be used to determine the exact value of the integral, only its convergence or divergence.

5. Can the Comparison Test be used for improper integrals with discontinuities?

No, the Comparison Test cannot be used for improper integrals with discontinuities. This is because the function being integrated must be continuous on the interval of integration in order for the Comparison Test to be valid. If there are discontinuities, a different method, such as the Limit Comparison Test, must be used.