Improper Integral and Force on a Dam

In summary, my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks
ineedhelpnow
my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks

$\int_{-\infty}^{0} \ \frac{dx}{(2+x) \sqrt{x}}$

a graph of $y=\frac{x^2}{4}$ is given with intersection point $(4,4)$. find the total force of the dam using coordinate system at the bottom of the dam. (i don't even know what this question means)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
there's an example here that's similar to the second question but it doesn't really make sense?? it's on the last page.

View attachment 2876

Attachments

• 271_HW6.6.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
I'm not at the level of math that you are on, but I can help you on the first improper integral. If you make the substitution \(\displaystyle x = u^2\), the integral will simplify into a form that you can easily take its anti-derivative. Then you can proceed as you would normally with a normal improper integral, taking into consideration that it has a discontinuity at x = -2, and x = 0.

appreciate the help Rido :)for that one i thought i needed to integrate it t to 0 and then take the limit as t goes to -$\infty$ i realized my mistake because i hadn't noticed that's undefined at -2 (thank you for pointing that out) so i guess i have to integrate from -$\infty$ to -2. and then from -2 to 0.

You might find this thread helpful for the question regarding hydrostatic forces:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/ns-questions-yahoo-answers-regarding-hydrostatic-forces-6150.html

ineedhelpnow said:
$\int_{-\infty}^{0} \ \frac{dx}{(2+x) \sqrt{x}}$
I'm not quite sure why no one has made this comment...The integrand does not exist for negative x because of the square root. There is no integration to do here. Or am I missing something obvious?

-Dan

I noticed that too, because if you tried to integrate, you'd have to sub in negative infinity into arctan(sqrt(x/2)), but I didn't want to comment because I wasn't sure.

when i was integrating it i got some weird answers but i tried to ignore it and kept going on. :D

for the interval on the dam (in the example), the bottom of the dam was at the point 0 on the y-axis but why did the interval go upto 25?

Related to Improper Integral and Force on a Dam

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral with one or both limits of integration being infinite or the function being integrated having a vertical asymptote within the limits. It is used to find the area under a curve that cannot be evaluated using a regular integral.

2. How is an improper integral calculated?

An improper integral is calculated by breaking it up into smaller, finite integrals over a specified interval and then taking the limit as the endpoints approach infinity or a vertical asymptote. This limit is then evaluated to determine the value of the improper integral.

3. What is the significance of force on a dam?

Force on a dam is an important factor to consider in designing and maintaining a dam. It is the force exerted by the weight of the water against the dam, which can cause structural damage if it exceeds the dam's capacity. Calculating the force on a dam helps ensure its stability and safety.

4. How is the force on a dam calculated?

The force on a dam is calculated by multiplying the water pressure at a specific depth by the area of the dam's face. This results in a force per unit length, which is then integrated over the entire height of the dam to determine the total force exerted on the dam.

5. What is the relationship between improper integrals and force on a dam?

The calculation of force on a dam often involves the use of improper integrals, as the water pressure at different depths along the dam's face may be modeled as an improper integral. Additionally, improper integrals are used to determine the total force exerted on the dam, making them an important tool in analyzing the structural integrity of a dam.