Impossible event vs Ordinary event

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of event equality in probability theory, stating that two events A and B are equal if and only if their individual probabilities are equal and their joint probability is also equal to their individual probabilities. It also clarifies that if an event N equals the impossible event with probability 1, then its probability is 0. There is also a discussion about the confusion surrounding the concept of impossible events and their relationship to the sample space. The conclusion is that an impossible event is an event with a probability of 0, but it does not necessarily mean that it is not a valid event in the context of the sample space.
lahanadar

Homework Statement

In probability theory,
i) The events A and B are equal with probability 1 iff P(A)=P(B)=P(AB).
ii) The events A and B are equal in probability if only we know P(A)=P(B)
iii) From (i), if an event N equals the impossible event with probability 1, then P(N)=0. Additionally, this does not mean that N={ }

(From Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, 4th Ed. of Papoulis's book, page:21)

The items from (i) to (iii) are all from the reference given above. My confusions are:

a) For (iii), "if an event N equals the impossible event with probability 1" as defined in (i) then shouldn't that mean P(N)=P({ })=P(N and { })=0 and as a result shouldn't N={ } be in fact correct?

b) I assume (iii) has no issues, and I assume N=/={ }. Then, how is it possible that N can be an event since it does not belong to power set of sample space. From the definition, an event should be choosen from the power set and since N is not impossible event, then it is something does not belong to power set of sample space S.

Homework Equations

Event equality condition: P(A)=P(B)=P(AB)
Power set definition: 2S
Events are choosen from power set.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think N is impossible event, so we can know it is impossible, plus, that's why we can call it as an event. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I found confusing is that if the sample space of S is #2^S# , then no event is impossible, in that every event is in the sample space. I would assume an impossible event is one not found in the sample space.

For rolling a die experiment, possible outcomes are 1 to 6 which forms the sample space. As an example, 7 is not an outcome for this experiment and so not in the sample space. Events for this 6-sided die should be choosen from the power set 26. In this power set, empty set (impossible event) is also an element. From this point of view, impossible event is an event. But since 7 does not belong to any of the members of power set, it is neither event even nor elementary event. Is there any misconception I did here?

It should help to take an actual example: a continuous uniform distribution on (0, 1). The probability of a single point, {x}, 0<x<1, is zero, but it is not impossible.

Which are you referring to? We are looking for impossible events.

WWGD said:
Which are you referring to? We are looking for impossible events.
No, you are trying to understand how an event, N, can have zero probability (P(N)=P({})=0), yet not be impossible (N is not empty).

Not me, I am aware of the fact that singletons have measure 0/probability 0 in a continuous distribution; maybe lahanadar does. I am trying to understand what an impossible event is in the OPs layout.

WWGD said:
Not me, I am aware of the fact that singletons have measure 0/probability 0 in a continuous distribution; maybe lahanadar does. I am trying to understand what an impossible event is in the OPs layout.
It refers to "the" impossible event, namely, the null set.

lahanadar said:
From this point of view, impossible event is an event. But since 7 does not belong to any of the members of power set, it is neither event even nor elementary event. Is there any misconception I did here?

You are correct that {7} is neither and event nor an elementary event in that probability space. In that probability space, it is not technically correct to say that "7 has a a probability of zero" since the mathematical definition of probability space involves an assignment of probabilities only to certain sets. The correct statement is that "7 does not have a defined probability" in that probability space.

The fact that the null set is assigned a probability zero is a consequence of the definition of a probability space. It is required by that definition.

For the same problem ( tossing a fair die) you could model it in a different way by defining the space of elementary outcomes to be all non-negative integers and assigning probabilities of zero to most of them. In that definition of a probability space, it would be correct to say that "the probability of {7} is zero".

A given real life problem doesn't define a unique mathematical model. Usually in a textbook problem, the author expects the exercise to be done with a particular way. If a textbook problem says "What is the probability space for tossing a fair die?", the author probably has in mind a particular space. However, it is not actually correct to ask about "the" probability space for real life situation. Real life situations (including tossing a fair die) can be modeled using many different probability spaces.

Related to Impossible event vs Ordinary event

1. What is an "impossible event" in the context of science?

An impossible event in science is a phenomenon or occurrence that defies the known laws of nature and cannot be explained by current scientific theories or principles. It is an event that is considered to be highly improbable or even impossible based on our current understanding of the universe.

2. How does an impossible event differ from an ordinary event?

An impossible event is significantly different from an ordinary event because it is not consistent with our current understanding of how the world works. Ordinary events, on the other hand, can be explained by existing scientific theories and are considered to be within the realm of possibility.

3. Can impossible events ever be proven to exist?

While it is possible for our understanding of the universe to change and for what was once considered an impossible event to become possible, it is highly unlikely that an event that completely defies our current understanding of science will ever be proven to exist.

4. Are there any examples of impossible events in science?

There have been many phenomena throughout history that were once considered impossible, but have since been explained by scientific theories. Some examples include the movement of the planets, the existence of black holes, and the concept of quantum entanglement.

5. How do scientists approach the study of impossible events?

Scientists approach the study of impossible events with open-mindedness and curiosity. They use the scientific method to gather evidence, make observations, and develop theories that may help explain these seemingly impossible events. However, they also recognize the limitations of our current understanding and do not jump to conclusions without sufficient evidence.