Implicit partial differentiation

In summary, the author is saying that by applying chain rule to the LHS of the equation, which equation is referred to in the note? It is given that f /x + (f/z)(z/x) = 0, where x, y, and z are variables.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in the notes , 'by applying chain rule to LHS of the above equation ' , which equation is the author referring to ?
it's given that
f /x + (f/z)(z/x) = 0 ,
As we can see , the function contain variable x , y and z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

why not
f /x + (f/z)(z/x) +(f/y)(y/x) = 0 ?

Attachments

• HEu59ZQ.jpg
    HEu59ZQ.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
##f(x,y,z) = 0##

chetzread said:
why not
$$f /x + (f/z)(z/x) +(f/y)(y/x) = 0 \ \ \ ?$$
because that is not true. That is dividing, not differentiating.

If you mean "why not$$
{df\over dx} = f_x + f_y y_x + f_z z_x$$ then the answer is: that's exactly what the author is doing.

Likes chetzread
Given up on the other thread ?

BvU said:

If you mean "why not$$
{df\over dx} = f_x + f_y y_x + f_z z_x$$ then the answer is: that's exactly what the author is doing.

Note: The author makes a notation mistake (he/she too !). It should have read:

Differentiate (*) both sides wrt ##x##, $$
{df\over dx} = {d\over dx} (0) $$​

Do you see the difference ? Do you understand what is meant with a partial derivative ##\partial f\over\partial x## (often written as ##f_x##) as opposed to a total derivative ##df\over dx## ?

Last edited:
chetzread said:
it's given that
f /x + (f/z)(z/x) = 0 ,
First:
not ##\quad f /x + (f/z)(z/x) = 0\quad ## but ##\quad f _x + f_z \;\displaystyle {\partial z\over\partial x} = 0##​
Second:

It's not given, but derived from ##z=f(x,y)##​

BvU said:
Given up on the other thread ?
no, i have attached the working in the previous thread, still waiting for your reply:smile:

BvU said:

If you mean "why not$$
well , i couldn't understand why the author wrote ∂f/∂x + (∂f/∂z)(∂z/∂x) = 0 , i have no idea how he come up with this equation...In the notes, he said that byapplying chain rule to LHS of equation? which equation did he mean?

chetzread said:

Homework Statement

in the notes , 'by applying chain rule to LHS of the above equation ' , which equation is the author referring to ?
it's given that
f /x + (f/z)(z/x) = 0 ,
As we can see , the function contain variable x , y and z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

why not
f /x + (f/z)(z/x) +(f/y)(y/x) = 0 ?

You may be confused partly because the cited article writes confusingly. You can't have both ##f(x,y,z) = 0## and ##z = f(x,y)##: it is absolutely never allowed to use the same symbol ##``f"## to stand for two totally different functions in the same sentence or two. I am surprised the author would make such a blunder.

Oh well, maybe that's just me being grumpy this morning.

BvU said:

If you mean "why not$$
{df\over dx} = df_dx +d f_dy (dy_dx) + (df_dz)(d z_dx) $$ then the answer is: that's exactly what the author is doing.
do you mean the equation should look like this ?
$${df\over dx} = df/dx +d f/dy (dy/dx) + (df/dz)(d z/dx) $$

why the LHS is
( df /dx ) shouldn't it = 0 ? , just like the author's working ?

chetzread said:
well , i couldn't understand why the author wrote ∂f/∂x + (∂f/∂z)(∂z/∂x) = 0 , i have no idea how he come up with this equation...In the notes, he said that by applying chain rule to LHS of equation? which equation did he mean?
We'll humour mfb and write$$f(x,y,z) = f\left (x,y,z\left (x,y\right )\right ) = 0$$ Apply the definition of derivative $$ {dg\over dx} \equiv\ \ \lim\limits_{h\downarrow 0} {g(x+h)-g(x)\over h}$$while y, as the other independent variable, is kept constant. Since ##f=0## and stays 0, this derivative should give 0.

this is how the author was lured into writing ##\displaystyle {\partial f\over\partial x}##
and I don't know how to do it didactically foolproof either. The point is that y is kept constant (because it is an independent variable) but z is a function of x so z does vary -- and thereby influences the derivative of f wrt x.​

So what we get is $$ 0 =
\ \ \lim\limits_{h\downarrow 0} {f(x+h, y, z(x+h,y)) - f(x,y,z(x,y))\over h} = \\
\quad \lim\limits_{h\downarrow 0} {f(x+h, y, z(x+h,y)) - f(x,y,z(x+h,y) )\over h} + {f(x, y, z(x+h,y)) - f(x,y,z(x,y) )\over h}
$$
First term is ##\displaystyle {\partial f\over\partial x}## a.k.a. ##f_x##

Second term is ##\displaystyle {\partial f\over\partial z} \displaystyle {\partial z\over\partial x}## a.k.a. ##f_z z_x##
In summary: $$f_x + f_z z_x = 0$$

Look up chain rule in your textbook.

chetzread said:
do you mean the equation should look like this ?
$${df\over dx} = df/dx +d f/dy (dy/dx) + (df/dz)(d z/dx) $$

why the LHS is
( df /dx ) shouldn't it = 0 ? , just like the author's working ?
quoting a quote looks messy in PF. Can you please distinguish between ##d## and ##\partial##, otherwise we might as well type chinese characters.

The author confuses you ( and irritates mfb and me also) by using the same ##\partial f\over \partial x## for two different things:

If he/she writes ##{\partial f\over \partial x} = {\partial \over \partial x} (0) ## (which is 0)
that means: while keeping y the same and letting z vary with x
(it is a partial derivative because f is a function of two independent variables).​

If he/she writes ## {\partial f\over \partial x} + {\partial f\over \partial z} {\partial z\over \partial x } =0 ##
that means: while keeping y and z the same. Now f is considered as a function of three ' independent' variables.
Drives one crazy, I agree. Still, it's elementary.

chetzread said:
no, i have attached the working in the previous thread, still waiting for your reply:smile:
Oh, missed the alert. Will look.

Nope, you missed the alert: I posted #67 with more 'suggestions for improvement' :smile:

can you explain the working? why we need to break the working into 2 parts?

Attachments

• 321.PNG
    321.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 389
BvU said:
If he/she writes ∂f∂x+∂f∂z∂z∂x=0∂f∂x+∂f∂z∂z∂x=0 {\partial f\over \partial x} + {\partial f\over \partial z} {\partial z\over \partial x } =0
that means: while keeping y and z the same. Now f is considered as a function of three ' independent' variables.
well you said that we keep y and z same now...Why there's (∂f/∂z)(∂z/∂x)appear in equation...
(∂f/∂z)(∂z/∂x) mean function f(x,y,z) varies with z,am i right?

chetzread said:
can you explain the working? why we need to break the working into 2 parts?
To show you how the two terms of ##\displaystyle {\partial f\over \partial x} ##, namely ##\ f_x\ ## and ##\ f_z \displaystyle {\partial z \over \partial x} \ ## come about.

Related to Implicit partial differentiation

What is implicit partial differentiation?

Implicit partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the partial derivatives of a function that is defined implicitly. This means that the function is not explicitly expressed in terms of its variables, and instead is defined by an equation involving those variables.

Why is implicit partial differentiation used?

Implicit partial differentiation is used when the function is not explicitly defined, but its derivatives are still needed. It allows us to find the partial derivatives of a function with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant.

What is the process for implicit partial differentiation?

The process for implicit partial differentiation involves taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, while treating the other variables as constants. This is done by using the chain rule and the product rule, if necessary.

What are the applications of implicit partial differentiation?

Implicit partial differentiation has many applications in science and engineering, particularly in fields such as physics, economics, and chemistry. It is used to find rates of change in dynamic systems, optimize functions, and solve differential equations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit partial differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit partial differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, incorrectly treating constants as variables, and not simplifying expressions before taking the derivative. It's important to carefully follow the rules of differentiation and check your work for accuracy.