Implicit Function Theorem problem

In summary, using the implicit function theorem, the system u-v = (h-a)e^-s, w-u = (k-b)e^-t, and ae^s = be^t can be solved for a, b, and u in terms of the remaining variables. Additionally, for Part 2, a linear set of equations can be exhibited to calculate du/ds, da/ds, and db/ds.
KevinMWHM
Part 1. If I want to solve the system;

u-v = (h-a)e^-s

w-u = (k-b)e^-t

ae^s = be^t

for a, b, u, in terms of the remaining variables using the implicit function theorem...

If I want to know when I can solve, can I just say f(a, b, u) can not = 0? And if I set a, b, u, = 0

Than I get k and h can not = 0.
Part 2. Calculate du/ds, da/ds, db/ds, by exhibiting a linear set of equations.

So for da/ds for example, solve equation 1 for a giving;

d(-e^s(u-v)+h)/ds?
I don’t need to solve the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
KevinMWHM said:
Part 1. If I want to solve the system;

u-v = (h-a)e^-s

w-u = (k-b)e^-t

ae^s = be^t

for a, b, u, in terms of the remaining variables using the implicit function theorem...

If I want to know when I can solve, can I just say f(a, b, u) can not = 0? And if I set a, b, u, = 0

Than I get k and h can not = 0.
Part 2. Calculate du/ds, da/ds, db/ds, by exhibiting a linear set of equations.

So for da/ds for example, solve equation 1 for a giving;

d(-e^s(u-v)+h)/ds?
I don’t need to solve the system.

For Part 1, you don't NEED to solve the system, but the easiest solution is to just go ahead and solve it anyway! Using the notation ##S = e^{-s}## and ##T = e^{-t}##, write your equations as
[tex] u-v = (h-a)S\\
(w-u)=(k-b) T \\
a/S = b/T
[/tex]
This is a simple linear system, from which you can easily find ##a,b,u## in terms of ##v,w,h,k,S,T##.

For Part 2, you can also derive a simple linear system for ##\partial a/ \partial s, \: \partial b / \partial s, \: \partial u / \partial s## and get a solution in terms of ##a,b,u,v,w,h,k,S,T##, using the definitions of ##S,T## in terms of ##s,t##.

Last edited:

Related to Implicit Function Theorem problem

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem problem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical tool used to solve equations that are difficult or impossible to solve explicitly. It allows us to find solutions to equations that are defined implicitly, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of a single variable.

2. How does the Implicit Function Theorem work?

The theorem states that if a function is continuously differentiable, then under certain conditions, the variables can be separated and one variable can be expressed in terms of the other. This allows us to solve for one variable in terms of the other, even if the original equation was not solvable explicitly.

3. What are the conditions required for the Implicit Function Theorem to work?

The conditions include the existence of the function and its derivatives, as well as the non-vanishing of the Jacobian determinant. Additionally, the function must be continuously differentiable and the equation must be defined implicitly.

4. What is the difference between the Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function Theorem?

While both theorems involve finding solutions to equations, the Implicit Function Theorem deals with finding solutions to equations that are defined implicitly, while the Inverse Function Theorem deals with finding inverse functions for equations that are defined explicitly.

5. How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in science and engineering?

The Implicit Function Theorem is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in optimization problems, economics, and physics. It allows us to solve for unknown variables in complex equations, making it a valuable tool in various fields of research and application.