Implicit Differentiation: two different answers

In summary, implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function when it cannot be solved for the dependent variable explicitly. There can be multiple answers when using implicit differentiation due to different representations of the function. To determine the correct answer, both answers should be checked by plugging them back into the original equation. Implicit differentiation can result in more than two answers and is commonly used in situations where explicit solutions are not possible, such as implicit equations, functions, and equations with multiple variables. It is also useful in curve sketching and optimization problems.
funlord

Homework Statement

upload_2015-8-12_21-14-47.png

with answers given:

upload_2015-8-12_21-15-58.png

Homework Equations

use implicit differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

I always get this answer

upload_2015-8-12_21-17-54.png

but not the second one

PLs explain the second answer for I am very desperate.
Thank You

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-12_21-17-59.png
    upload_2015-8-12_21-17-59.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Use what you begin with i.e. ##(x-y)^3 = (x+y)^2## inside the expression you get from implicit differentiation

Show your steps

funlord said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 87235
with answers given:

View attachment 87236

Homework Equations

I always get this answer

View attachment 87237
but not the second one

Thank You
Please state the entire problem.

funlord said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 87235
with answers given:

View attachment 87236

Homework Equations

I always get this answer

View attachment 87237
but not the second one

Thank You

In order to get the second answer, you need to take the ln of both sides of the equation, then differentiate implicitly. After rearranging, if done right (presumably the second answer is correct), you should have the same answer.

Related to Implicit Differentiation: two different answers

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function when it is not possible to solve for the dependent variable explicitly. It is commonly used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why can there be two different answers when using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation can result in two different answers because there are usually multiple ways to represent the same function. This can lead to different forms of the derivative, depending on which representation is used.

3. How do you determine which answer is correct?

To determine which answer is correct, you need to check the validity of both answers by plugging them back into the original equation. The answer that satisfies the original equation is the correct one.

4. Can there be more than two different answers when using implicit differentiation?

Yes, there can be more than two different answers when using implicit differentiation. This is because there can be multiple ways to represent a function, and each representation can result in a different form of the derivative.

5. In what situations is implicit differentiation commonly used?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in situations where it is not possible to solve for the dependent variable explicitly, such as in implicit equations, implicit functions, and equations involving multiple variables. It is also used in curve sketching and optimization problems.