Implicit Differentiation - Second Derivative

In summary, the person was asking for explanations on implicit differentiation and the second derivative, as they did not receive a formal lesson. They provided an example and found a solution online that matched the textbook answer, but did not understand the steps involving simplifying -2xy^3 - 2x^4/y^5 and -2xy^3/y^5 to -2x(y^3 + x^3)/y^5. It was pointed out that there was a typo in step 5-6 and the solution ultimately used the initial equation x^3 + y^3 = 1.
nothing123
Were assigned questions regarding implicit differentiation and the second derivative but did not receive a formal lesson so I need some explanations.

Example:

Find the second derivative
x^3 + y^3 = 1

I found this solution on the internet and the answer matches the one in the textbook.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1240/implic44fz.gif

However, I don't understand how -2xy^3 - 2x^4/y^5 turned into just -2xy^3/y^5 (This is the 5-6 step). Furthermore, I don't see how -2xy^3/y^5 equals -2x(y^3 + x^3)/y^5 (6-7 step).

Simply, I need explanations for this solutions rationale. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nothing123 said:
Were assigned questions regarding implicit differentiation and the second derivative but did not receive a formal lesson so I need some explanations.

Example:

Find the second derivative
x^3 + y^3 = 1

I found this solution on the internet and the answer matches the one in the textbook.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1240/implic44fz.gif

However, I don't understand how -2xy^3 - 2x^4/y^5 turned into just -2xy^3/y^5 (This is the 5-6 step). Furthermore, I don't see how -2xy^3/y^5 equals -2x(y^3 + x^3)/y^5 (6-7 step).

Simply, I need explanations for this solutions rationale. Thanks.

There is an obvious typo in step 5-6...the -2x^4/y^5 term disappears and then reappears on the next line .

At the very end they use x^3+y^3=1, which was the initial equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, now I see it, thanks for pointing that out!

Related to Implicit Differentiation - Second Derivative

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly expressed in terms of one variable. It is used when an equation contains variables that cannot be easily isolated to solve for the derivative.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of an equation that is explicitly expressed in terms of one variable. In implicit differentiation, the equation contains multiple variables and the derivative is found by differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants.

3. What is the process for taking the second derivative using implicit differentiation?

To find the second derivative using implicit differentiation, you first take the derivative of the equation with respect to one variable, then take the derivative of that result with respect to the same variable. This will give you the second derivative of the original equation.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used to find higher order derivatives?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used to find higher order derivatives by repeatedly differentiating the equation with respect to the same variable. Each time, the number of derivatives increases by one. For example, to find the third derivative, you would differentiate the equation three times with respect to the same variable.

5. When is implicit differentiation typically used in real-world applications?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics and engineering to find rates of change in situations where variables are related in an implicit equation. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze relationships between variables in complex equations.