Implicit Differentiation in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, to compute the partials of z with respect to x and y at (1,0) for the equation xy + z + 3xz^5 = 4, you can use either the formula \frac {\partial z}{\partial x} = -\frac {\frac {\partial F}{\partial x}}{\frac {\partial F}{\partial z}} or implicit differentiation. Both methods will give you an answer with only x, y, and z in terms of the given equation.
Black Orpheus
I need to compute the partials of z with respect to x and y of:
xy + z + 3xz^5 = 4 at (1,0).

I already showed that the equation is solvable for z as a function of (x,y) near (1,0,1) with the special implicit function theorem, but that's the easy part. Could someone explain to me how to begin this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I start by taking d/dx of xy + z + 3xz^4 - 4 = 0, giving
y + dz/dx + 3z^5 = 0, or dz/dx = -y - 3z^5..?

xy + z + 3xz^5 = 4
You take d/dx of both sides, taking z as a function of x and y, and taking x and y as not functions of each other (treat y as a constant when taking d/dx, treat x as a constant when taking d/dy). Use the chain rule. For example, d(2x^2 * z^2)/dx = 2xz^2 + 4x^2 * z(dz/dx).

How do I take z as a function of x and y when I can't solve for it?

Alternatively, if I use the fact that the partial of z with respect to x equals -(partial of F with respect to x)/(partial of F with respect to z), don't I still end up with a z (and I need it in terms of x and y so I can plug in my point)?

Black Orpheus said:
Alternatively, if I use the fact that the partial of z with respect to x equals -(partial of F with respect to x)/(partial of F with respect to z), don't I still end up with a z (and I need it in terms of x and y so I can plug in my point)?

Yeah, that trick works as well to find dz/dx.

It will give you something in terms of x and y...after all when taking partials with respect to some variable you will get all of those variables in the result.

Last edited:
If you have time, could you walk me through the dz/dx method? I'm not following this... If I try to take dz/dx with the formula mentioned above, I get -(y + dz/dx + 3z^5)/(dxy/dz + 1 + 15xz^4). Do dz/dx and dxy/dz go to 0? What about the extra zs?

try just writing in a general sense with letting some function of the variables (x,y) say z=z(x,y) where all the derivative and continuity requirements we need are assumed satisfied. Now from ordinary calc we may write
[tex] dz = \left( \vec{\nabla} z(x,y) \cdot \hat{x}\right) dx + \left( \vec{\nabla} z(x,y) \cdot \hat{y} \right) dy \Rightarrow
dz = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} dx+ \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} dy [/tex]
would you agree?

Last edited:
How do I take z as a function of x and y when I can't solve for it?
Why would you need to solve for it? Isn't it enough to just say z can be written as a function of x and y?

I suspect you would profit from reviewing the one-dimensional case of implicit differentiation -- I think you're missing the basic idea behind it, and it might help to work in a simpler setting. (And, presumably, you've learned this once already and it might come back to you. You might even have saved your notes and worked homework problems!)

Last edited:
Black Orpheus said:
If you have time, could you walk me through the dz/dx method? I'm not following this... If I try to take dz/dx with the formula mentioned above, I get -(y + dz/dx + 3z^5)/(dxy/dz + 1 + 15xz^4). Do dz/dx and dxy/dz go to 0? What about the extra zs?

If you use the formula:

[tex]\frac {\partial z}{\partial x} = -\frac {\frac {\partial F}{\partial x}}{\frac {\partial F}{\partial z}}[/tex]

then you will get an answer with only x, y and z in it. The function F has a constant value of zero when you create it by moving everything to one side of the equation. It is still a function of x and y, and z is still the dependant variable. If you go through with implicit differentiation, you must solve for [tex]\frac {\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex], not forgetting to do the product rule and chain rule in places where you have both an x and a z.

In the end you should get the same answer for either method.

Related to Implicit Differentiation in Multivariable Calculus

What is implicit differentiation in multivariable calculus?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used in multivariable calculus to find the derivatives of functions that cannot be easily solved for a single variable. It involves treating one variable as a function of the other variables and using the chain rule to differentiate.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily solved for one variable, such as in cases where the equation contains both x and y terms. It is also used when finding the derivative of a curve or surface in three-dimensional space.

What is the process of implicit differentiation?

The process of implicit differentiation involves treating one variable as a function of the other variables, taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, and then solving for the derivative of the dependent variable.

What is the chain rule in implicit differentiation?

The chain rule in implicit differentiation states that when taking the derivative of a function within another function, the derivative of the outer function must be multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What are some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, not properly isolating the dependent variable, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work for accuracy.