Implicit Differentiation: Finding dy/dx for a Given Equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of implicit differentiation to find the equation for dy/dx. The student attempted to use the product rule and quotient rule, but was unsure if their approach was correct. They also sought clarification on how to isolate dy/dx in the equation. The expert advised grouping terms with dy/dx and dividing the other side by the long equation. The student then realized their mistake and understood how to solve the problem.
Grogerian

Homework Statement

Implicit Differentiation:

I Was given the equation find dy/dx:
(3x3y2 + 7x)
(x2y3 + 3xy)-

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i know i have to use the product rule on top, and on bottom and the quotient rule for the fraction so... if i set

s = 3x3
t = y2
u = (3x3y2 + 7x)
w = x2
n = y3
z = 3x
q = y
v = (x2y3 + 3xy)

ds = 9x2
dt = 2y(dy/dx)
du = (s(dt) + t(ds)) + 7)
dw = 2x
dn = 3y2(dy/dx)
dz = 3
dq = 1(dy/dx)
dv = (w(dn) + n(dw)) + (z(dq) + q(dz))

Quotient rule: v(du) - u(dv)/(v2)

ok, I'm just making sure i didn't make a mistake.

so now i do:

(x2y3 + 3xy)((3x3(2y(dy/dx)) + y2(9x2)) + 7)) - (3x3y2 + 7x)((x2(3y2(dy/dx)) + y3(2x)) + ((3x(1(dy/dx)) + 3y)
(x2y3 + 3xy)2

I had a tutor help me out in Implicit Diff. but i still don't really remember this stuff unless i look at it, and i almost always get different from the professor, is the above correct ( without factoring?) it looks a lot easier on my paper lol. and I'm supposed to be ready for this kind of magnitude questions on my exam :S i also don't know how i am going to be able to get dy/dx out of my equation, any tips there?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should group all the terms that has dy/dx in it on the other side. then factor out dy/dx.

ok, but once i have (dy/dx)*(long equation) i can't just subtract dy/dx to the other side?

Grogerian said:
ok, but once i have (dy/dx)*(long equation) i can't just subtract dy/dx to the other side?

you won't subtract it. you just have to divide the other side by the long equation you said.

well then, i feel stupid lol i even knew that ^.^ i differentiate the other side as well, which was = 7x -> 7

Related to Implicit Differentiation: Finding dy/dx for a Given Equation

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly expressed in terms of its independent variable. It is used when the function cannot be easily solved for the independent variable.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is expressed in terms of its independent variable. Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily solved for the independent variable.

What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for performing implicit differentiation are as follows: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, 2) Isolate the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation, 3) Solve for the derivative.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily solved for the independent variable. It is commonly used in applications involving curves or surfaces that cannot be easily expressed in terms of a single variable.

What are the common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to find critical points, calculate rates of change, and solve optimization problems.