Implicit differentiation and related rates

In summary, the given problem involves finding the rate of change of the radius of a spherical snowperson's head as it melts under the hot sun. The rate of change of volume is given as V - 160t, and to find the rate of change of radius, we differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to time. This gives us dV/dt = 4πr^2*dr/dt, and since dV/dt and r are known, we can calculate dr/dt. If we were given a volume and asked to find the rate of change of volume with respect to radius, it would be tedious to isolate for r and then take the derivative. Instead, we can use the given volume to find
Panphobia

Homework Statement

The spherical head of a snowperson is melting under the HOT sun at the rate of -160 cc/h (cubic centimetres per hour.) Find the rate at which the radius is changing when the radius r=16. Use cm/h for the units.
(The volume of a sphere is given by V= 4π⋅r^3/3.)

I have missed the past few calculus lectures and I am afraid I am falling behind, how would I start this kind of question? I know that the volume is changing at a rate of V - 160t where t is the number of hours...but I don't know how that helps at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
V = (4/3)πr3

Differentiate both sides with respect to ‘t’ .What do you get ?

dV/dt = 4πr^2*dr/dt

Panphobia said:
dV/dt = 4πr^2*dr/dt

Excellent...

Now,dV/dt and 'r' is given to you .Just calculate dr/dt .

Likes 1 person
Oh my (facepalm) thank you so much for the help!

:thumbs:

You are welcome :smile:

If I was to do the same thing but instead I was given a volume and was looking for the rate of change of volume given the rate of change of radius, would I just isolate for r then take the derivative?

Panphobia said:
If I was to do the same thing but instead I was given a volume and was looking for the rate of change of volume given the rate of change of radius, would I just isolate for r then take the derivative?

That would be quite tedious .

Instead, from the given volume just find out the radius using the relation V =(4/3)πr3 .Then approach in the similar manner .

Related to Implicit differentiation and related rates

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. In simpler terms, it is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable, even when the function is not written in the form y = f(x).

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable is explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. This means that the function is written in the form y = f(x). Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for functions where the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable.

3. What are the steps involved in implicit differentiation?

The first step in implicit differentiation is to differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative of any variables that are nested within other functions. Finally, isolate the dependent variable in the equation to get the derivative in terms of the independent variable.

4. How is implicit differentiation used in related rates problems?

Related rates problems involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. Implicit differentiation is used in these problems to find the derivative of both variables with respect to time. This allows us to create an equation relating the rates of change and solve for the desired rate.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation and related rates?

Implicit differentiation and related rates are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include finding the rate of change of the volume of a melting ice cube, determining the rate of change of the angle of elevation of a moving object, and calculating the rate of change of the population of a species over time.