Implicit Differentiation and Orthogonal Trajectories

In summary: That's exactly how you should be able to prove that x= ay^2 and x^2+ (1/2)y^2= b are orthogonal trajectories.
tmlrlz

Homework Statement

Q 50: The ellipse 3x2 +2y2 = 5 and y3 = x2
HINT: The curves intersect at (1,1) and (-1,1)
Two families of curves are said to be orthogonal trajectories (of each other) if each member of one family is orthogonal to each member of the other family. Show that the families of curves given in Exercises 51 and 52 are orthogonal trajectories

Exercise 51: The family of circles x2 + y2 = r2 and the family of lines y = mx

Exercise 52: The family of parabolas x = ay2 and the family of ellipses x2 + (1/2) y2 = b

Homework Equations

dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I was a little confused about what this question was asking. This is the only explanation in the book of orthogonal trajectories and the one thing that i know when i see the word orthogonal is that there must be 90 degrees involved. What I assume this question is asking is to prove that each family in Exercises 51 and 52 are orthogonal to each other, basically meaning that their derivatives are perpendicular to each other. dy/dx is the slope of the function and if each group has a dy/dx which is the negative reciprocal of the other group then that means that they are normal to each other which means that they are perpendicular. My approach will be the following, to take the derivative of each family and determine that the derivatives are reciprocals of each other, however i am confused as to what the derivatives of r, a and b will be which is why i assume them to be constants. I also do not understand why the 3x2 +2y2 = 5 and y3 = x2 are given, and I am also assuming that when we have the derivatives, then we plug those back into the function and the values of (1,1) and (-1,1) to prove that the functions intersect each other at those points. Please help me with going through this problem because I'm not really sure what to do and I am sure that my assumptions are not correct for r, a and b being constants. Thank you.
I did take the derivatives with my assumptions:
3x2 +2y2 = 5
6x + 4y * (dy/dx) = 0
dy/dx = -3x/2y
y3 = x2
3y2*(dy/dx) = 2x
dy/dx = 2x/3y2

51:
y = mx
dy/dx = m(1) = m = rise/run = y/x
x2 + y2 = r2
2x + 2y * (dy/dx) = 0
dy/dx = -x/y
In this case, assuming that my assumptions are correct, dy/dx for each family are negative reciprocals of each other confirming that they are perpendicular lines, however i do not know how to prove that they interesect at (1,1) and (-1,1)

52:
x = ay2
1 = 2ay * (dy/dx)
dy/dx = 1/2ay
x2 + (1/2) y2 = b
2x + y * (dy/dx) = 0
dy/dx = -2x/y
Clearly i reach a problem here where they are not related and i assume that either my assumptions are incorrect, i have to use the 3x2 +2y2 = 5 and y3 = x2, or these two families of functions are not orthogonal trajectories of each other.
I'm sure I've done something wrong, any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q50 has nothing to do with Q51 and Q52. It's just an example. Don't try to apply anything there to the other two problems. You got through Q51 just fine. Now look at Q52, you've got y'=1/(2ay) for one family of curves and y'=(-2x)/y for the other. You CAN use x=ay^2 again to prove they are orthogonal. Try it.

Don't worry about "90 degrees". Two lines, y= mx+ b and y= nx+ c, are "orthogonal" if and only if mn= -1. For curves, two curves, y= f(x) and y= g(x), are "orthogonal" if and only if [itex]f'(x_0)g'(x_0)= -1[/itex] where [itex]x= x_0[/itex] is the x-value at their point of intersection.

Related to Implicit Differentiation and Orthogonal Trajectories

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function. This means that the function is not explicitly expressed in terms of one variable, but rather as a relationship between two or more variables.

2. Why is implicit differentiation important?

Implicit differentiation is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for one variable in terms of the other. This is particularly useful for functions that are difficult or impossible to solve explicitly, such as implicit curves or surfaces.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, we use the chain rule and implicit differentiation rule to find the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest. This involves treating the other variable(s) as constants and differentiating the function accordingly.

4. What are orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories are curves that intersect another curve at right angles. In other words, they are curves that are perpendicular to each other at their intersection points. These types of curves can be found by using implicit differentiation and setting the resulting derivative equations equal to each other.

5. How are implicit differentiation and orthogonal trajectories related?

Implicit differentiation is often used to find the equations of orthogonal trajectories. By finding the derivative of a given curve and setting it equal to the negative reciprocal of the derivative of the orthogonal curve, we can find the equation for the orthogonal trajectory. This is a useful application of implicit differentiation in real-world problems.