Implicit Applications of Rope and Drum Motion in Boating

In summary: Well done!Panphobia...Now,since you have successfully got the answer ,you may try your approach .In summary, the drum is located 4 feet above the bow and the rope is being pulled in at a rate of 3 feet per second. If the rope was being pulled horizontally, the boat would be moving at 3 feet per second at all times.
Panphobia
kexnnk.png

So I was looking at the wording of this question and I do not know what it means that the drum is located 4 feet above the bow. Also if the rope is being pulled in at a rate of 3 feet per second wouldn't the boat be moving at 3 feet per second at all times because they are connected?

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:
kexnnk.png

So I was looking at the wording of this question and I do not know what it means that the drum is located 4 feet above the bow. Also if the rope is being pulled in at a rate of 3 feet per second wouldn't the boat be moving at 3 feet per second at all times because they are connected?
It would help to draw a picture. The rope is not pulling horizontally, so 3 fps on the rope doesn't translate to 3 fps for the boat. The rope feeds onto the drum at a point 4 feet higher than where the rope is tied to the boat.

For the purposes of this problem, you can ignore any sag in the rope, and pretend it's straight between the drum and the boat.

What kind of equation would I need for this type of question? So far in calc we have only done rates of change of area, and volume, and things where the equations are obvious.

Let 'x' be the horizontal distance between the dock and the boat .
Let 'y' be the vertical distance between the drum and the boat .
Let 'r' be the length of the rope between the drum and the boat .

What is the relation between the above parameters ?

Wait can I do this tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/4 and then sec([itex]\theta[/itex])^2*d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = .25*dy/dt, I can find [itex]\theta[/itex], but I do not know how to get the d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt, the only way I would know how to is if I was given the radius, I think it has something to do with the 3 feet/s, but I don't know what(for me y = distance between ship and dock).

Panphobia said:
Wait can I do this tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/4 and then sec([itex]\theta[/itex])^2*d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = .25*dy/dt, I can find [itex]\theta[/itex], but I do not know how to get the d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt, the only way I would know how to is if I was given the radius, I think it has something to do with the 3 feet/s, but I don't know what(for me y = distance between ship and dock).

What is θ ?

Anyways,whatever is θ ,angle of rope with the vertical or horizontal ,the relationship tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/4 is not correct .

Please do the way I have suggested .

Panphobia said:

The picture is actually more important here than any formulas. You should be imagining a right triangle. The distances Tanya Sharma described are sides of that triangle.

I am imagining a triangle, hence the tan[itex]\theta[/itex], but [itex]\theta[/itex] is just [itex]\theta[/itex] = arctan(25/4), ok I will try to do it your way sharma.

x^2 + y^2 = r^2
x^2 +16 = r^2
2x*dx/dt + 2y * dy/dt = 2r*dr/dt
50*dx/dt = 6*r

x^2 + y^2 = r^2
sqrt(25^2 + 4^2) = r

dx/dt = 0.32
This doesn't seem right to me, did you get this? Or am I totally wrong?

Panphobia said:
I am imagining a triangle, hence the tan[itex]\theta[/itex], but [itex]\theta[/itex] is just [itex]\theta[/itex] = arctan(25/4), ok I will try to do it your way sharma.

No..That is incorrect.

Suppose θ is the angle which rope makes with horizontal ,then tanθ = y/x . The general angle θ will be expressed in terms of generalized parameters ,i.e x,y,r ,not in terms of values of x,y,r at a particular instant .Only when the value of parameter is a fixed quantity like y=4 ,then you can use value '4' in place of 'y' .

Panphobia said:
x^2 + y^2 = r^2
x^2 +16 = r^2
2x*dx/dt + 2y * dy/dt = 2r*dr/dt
50*dx/dt = 6*r

x^2 + y^2 = r^2
sqrt(25^2 + 4^2) = r

dx/dt = 0.32
This doesn't seem right to me, did you get this? Or am I totally wrong?

Please recheck your calculations. I think you should get something like 3.04 .

Yea I rechecked and got 3.04, thanks for your help!

Panphobia said:
Yea I rechecked and got 3.04, thanks for your help!

Well done!

Panphobia...Now,since you have successfully got the answer ,you may try your approach .

Let θ be the angle which rope makes with horizontal ,then tanθ = y/x . Proceed in similar manner and you will end up with the same correct answer .

Tanya Sharma said:
No..That is incorrect.

Suppose θ is the angle which rope makes with horizontal ,then tanθ = y/x . The general angle θ will be expressed in terms of generalized parameters ,i.e x,y,r ,not in terms of values of x,y,r at a particular instant .Only when the value of parameter is a fixed quantity like y=4 ,then you can use value '4' in place of 'y' .
In this problem, the vertical distance is constant, so if θ the angle that the rope makes at the boat, relative to the horizontal, then tan(θ) = 4/x, where x is the horizontal distance between the boat and the drum.

This is not the best place to start, though, as we should start with a relation that ties together the hypotenuse and the horizontal leg of the triangle.
x2 + 42 = r2

Now differentiate with respect to t to get the relationship between the rates.

There is no need for involving θ (hence dθ/dt) here.

Mark44 said:
In this problem, the vertical distance is constant, so if θ the angle that the rope makes at the boat, relative to the horizontal, then tan(θ) = 4/x, where x is the horizontal distance between the boat and the drum.

This is not the best place to start, though, as we should start with a relation that ties together the hypotenuse and the horizontal leg of the triangle.
x2 + 42 = r2

Now differentiate with respect to t to get the relationship between the rates.

There is no need for involving θ (hence dθ/dt) here.

Mark...This is exactly the same approach i have explained to OP.Are you referring to Panphobia or me ?

Tanya, I was referring to you both. I thought you were saying that the equation needed to be x2 + y2 = r2, and that you could only put in the values at a particular instant. My point was that there is no need for a y variable, as the height value is constant. I might have misunderstood your intent.

Related to Implicit Applications of Rope and Drum Motion in Boating

1. How are ropes and drums used in boating?

Ropes and drums are essential tools in boating for controlling and maneuvering the sails and rigging. The ropes are attached to the sails and run through the drums, which are used to wind or unwind the ropes to adjust the tension and angle of the sails.

2. What is the purpose of using ropes and drums in boating?

The main purpose of using ropes and drums in boating is to control the movement and direction of the boat. By changing the tension and angle of the sails through the ropes and drums, a boater can adjust the speed and direction of the boat, making it easier to navigate through the water.

3. Are there any safety considerations when using ropes and drums in boating?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when using ropes and drums in boating. It is important to always use proper techniques when handling ropes to avoid getting tangled or caught in them. Additionally, regularly inspecting and maintaining the drums is crucial to ensure they are functioning properly and can handle the necessary tension and load.

4. Can ropes and drums be used for emergency situations on a boat?

Yes, ropes and drums can be used in emergency situations on a boat. In case of a mechanical failure, ropes and drums can be used as a backup for controlling the sails and rigging. Additionally, ropes can also be used for rescue purposes, such as towing a boat or securing it to a dock.

5. Are there different types of ropes and drums used in boating?

Yes, there are different types of ropes and drums used in boating, depending on the size and type of boat, as well as the specific use. Ropes can vary in material, thickness, and strength, while drums can vary in size and design. It is important to use the appropriate type of ropes and drums for the specific boating activity to ensure safe and efficient operation.