Impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor

In summary, to find the speed of an electron released from rest at the negative plate of a parallel-plate capacitor with an electric field strength of 2.50×104 N/C and a spacing of 1.20 mm, we can use the equation F = eE = ma to find the force acting on the electron and then divide by the mass to get the acceleration. Using the kinematic equation vf2 = vi2 + 2ad, where vi = 0, we can then solve for the final velocity of the electron, which is √(2ad). However, it is important to note that the mass used in the calculation should be that of an electron, not a proton. Alternatively, we can also calculate
ShilpaM

Homework Statement

The electric field strength is 2.50×104 N/C inside a parallel-plate capacitor with a 1.20 mm spacing. An electron is released from rest at the negative plate. What is the electron's speed when it reaches the positive plate?

Homework Equations

F = eE = ma
vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I used F = eE to figure out the force acting on the electron and then divided the force by the mass to get the electron's acceleration in the electric field:

a = eE/m = (1.60×10-19 C)(2.50×104 N/C) / (1.67×10-27 kg) = 2.3952×1012 m/s2

Then I used a kinematic equation to figure out the final velocity:

vf2 = vi2 + 2ad (vi = 0 since the electron starts at rest)
vf = √(2ad) = √(2(2.3952×1012 m/s2)(1.2×10-3 m)) = 7.58×104 m/s

But apparently this is not the answer. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've checked over my work several times. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've used the mass of a proton rather than that of an electron.

Note that you could also calculate the energy imparted to the electron by traveling through the electric field for the given distance. That'll end up as its kinetic energy...

Related to Impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor

1. What is the definition of impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

The impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor refers to the velocity at which an electron collides with one of the plates in the capacitor. This speed is affected by the electric field between the plates and the distance between the plates.

2. How is the impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the equation v = √(2qV/m), where v is the impact speed, q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference between the plates, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What factors affect the impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

The impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the electric field strength between the plates, the distance between the plates, the charge on the capacitor, and the mass of the electron.

4. How does the impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor affect the capacitor's performance?

The impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor can affect the capacitor's performance by causing it to heat up due to the collisions between the electrons and the plates. This can lead to a decrease in the capacitor's efficiency and lifespan.

5. Can the impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the impact speed of an electron in a parallel plate capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and distance between the plates. Additionally, using materials with lower resistance or increasing the size of the plates can also affect the impact speed of the electrons.