Impact force of falling object

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on pressure sensitive films and determining if they accurately indicate impact force. The individual has carried out an impact test and calculated the velocity and kinetic energy, but the indicated pressure force does not match the calculated force. Various factors such as the shape of the mass, the area of contact, and the deceleration profile are discussed as potential sources of error. It is suggested that more detailed information about the dynamic response of the fuselage or the use of different instrumentation may improve the accuracy of the results. Additionally, a technical detail about calculating average force is mentioned.
APcraze
Homework Statement

I am doing a project on pressure sensitive films and finding if they indicate the correct amount of impact. I have carried out an impact test by dropping a mass of 5KG from a height of 1m. I have calculated the velocity to be 4.43m/s. The kinetic energy just before impact is equal to the gravitational potential energy at the height in which it was dropped =49J. The distance traveled after impact was 0.1m. Using the work-energy principle the impact force is found to be 490N.

The attempt at a solution
This test I used a hexagon shaped mass and the area which contacted the film was 116.63m^2.

The pressure film is indicating a pressure force of 6.5MPa=65kgf/cm^2.
The impact force that has been calculated is 490N=49.9kgf.

The calculated and indicated pressure forces can be seen to be far off. The manufacturer of the pressure film has claimed that the films give an estimated pressure and not necessarily exact.

I just want to ask if anyone sees where I am going wrong? I also want to ask if area needs to be considered in the calculation.

Thanks for your time.

Alexander.

Physics news on Phys.org
APcraze said:
This test I used a hexagon shaped mass and the area which contacted the film was 116.63m^2.
You might want to check that number (or the unit).

490 N is the average force. Peak force can be significantly higher if your deceleration is not uniform. How does the deceleration look like?

APcraze said:
The distance traveled after impact was 0.1m

How can that be ? Pressure sensitive film only distorts a small amount under load .

Nidum said:
How can that be ? Pressure sensitive film only distorts a small amount under load .
Sorry I forgot to mention.

The pressure sensitive film had been adhered to a portion of a 737 fuselage laying flat on the ground. The mass did penetrate the surface very lightly and bounced back up 0.1m.

APcraze said:
The mass did penetrate the surface very lightly and bounced back up 0.1m.
That is a completely different statement. It indicates a much shorter stopping distance.

Likes CWatters
APcraze said:
Using the work-energy principle the impact force is found to be 490N
Further to mfb's observation about peak force, if the force is not constant then ΔE/Δs will not give you the average force either. The average force is defined as mΔv/Δt, which only gives the same answer for constant acceleration.

Too many variables .

To calculate the impact load even approximately would require detailed information about the dynamic response characteristics of the fuselage section .

Some possible ways to get better results :

Use instrumentation fitted to the fuselage section to measure its response to the drop load .

Use a well supported solid and heavy anvil block instead of the fuselage section .

Put pressure sensitive film on a platen and mount on top of a load cell .

Make a spring block anvil with accurately known dynamic response characteristics .

Fit an accelerometer to the dropping load .

Many other possibilities but need more information about your project .

A technical detail:
haruspex said:
Further to mfb's observation about peak force, if the force is not constant then ΔE/Δs will not give you the average force either. The average force is defined as mΔv/Δt, which only gives the same answer for constant acceleration.
There are other acceleration profiles where the answer happens to match by chance - everything where the elapsed time is the same as you would get with a constant acceleration.

Related to Impact force of falling object

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force generated when an object collides with another object or surface. It is the result of the object's momentum and the resistance of the surface it collides with.

2. How is impact force calculated?

The impact force can be calculated using the formula F = m * Δv / Δt, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the falling object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time of impact.

3. What factors affect the impact force of a falling object?

The impact force of a falling object is affected by the mass, velocity, and time of impact. Other factors such as air resistance, surface material, and angle of impact can also have an impact on the force.

4. How does the height of the fall affect the impact force?

The height of the fall does not directly affect the impact force, but it does affect the velocity of the falling object. The higher the fall, the greater the velocity and thus the greater the impact force will be.

5. Why is understanding impact force important?

Understanding impact force is important for a variety of fields, including engineering, construction, and safety. It helps us design structures and equipment that can withstand impact forces and also allows us to assess the potential damage and injuries caused by falling objects.