Impact Attenuator-Experiment Design

In summary, Bert has been asked to test materials for their crush strengths. Unfortunately, their department doesn't have a decent method for impact/crush testing, so they've come up with a modification to a Charpy Impact test. If you're unfamiliar, it's basically a known weight/hammer on the end of a pendulum which swings into a material sample. Usually the quantitative result is read from a gauge mounted on the inside of the swing arm. However, in the case of 'crush' testing the sample isn't broken in two, but rather compressed. So we've attached a back plate so the pendulum swing arm hits a rigid wall. We've encountered some problems though, and I thought I could benefit from a
berty_g
Hello!
At the moment, my collegues and myself have been asked to test some materials for their crush strengths. Unfortunately our dept. doesn't have a decent method for impact/crush testing, so we've come up with a modification to a Charpy Impact test.

If you're unfamiliar, it's basically a known weight/hammer on the end of a pendulum which swings into a material sample. Usually the quantitative result is read from a gauge mounted on the inside of the swing arm. However, in the case of 'crush' testing the sample isn't broken in two, but rather compressed. So we've attached a back plate so the pendulum swing arm hits a rigid wall. We've encountered some problems though, and I thought I could benefit from a lesson or two in mechanics as it's been a while since a-level physics.

We need to record 3 different sets of data: Velocity (of the hammer), Time and G (althought this can be calculated from velocity and stroke - the change in length of the crushed sample). I.e: We have a known maximum for Peak G and Average G, hence a range of materials are being tested. The variable in the experiment is the Material, all we need is a decent way to set up the data logger or something else, so that we can record everything we test.

We're thinking about using a data logger and potentiometer and using the gradients of the (time, potential) graph gradients to assosciate with velocity.

Any help, ideas or other ways of doing it entirely would be greatly appreciated. Note that if you help, you will be helping a real-life project involving the materials selection of an Impact Attenuator (crash box) for a formula one car.

Thanks for reading!

Bert

Ps: The attatched document is not my own and is the produce of Hexweb, the basic ideas are explained far better then I ever could. It also includes the basic mathematical elements. Note: we cannot do a weighted-trolley-impact-at-known-speed-type test due to H&S regulations in the dept.

Attachments

• HexWebHoneycombEnergyAbsorptionBrochure.pdf
    830.7 KB · Views: 5,384
Engineering news on Phys.org
just as an update, we're going to use a DEKRA type test, involving a weighted trolley traveling at a known speed to contact out various material types.

Welcome to PF, Bert.
This isn't a typical response on the site; I'm answering from the 'no education' camp. The numbers as shown in your link mean very little to me. What would make sense from my perspective, and might assist in your data collection, would be high-speed photography of the impact with some sort of scale visible in the action. Correlating the footage with the sensor data would be very helpful to someone like me.

Hi,

Generally what is carried out during impact testing of this sort is the following:

1. Measurement of the velocity of the impactor (in your case a weighted trolley, although it could be a pendulum or a drop carriage) in the last 50mm before impact. As the previous poster suggested this can be done using an optical method; however, it's pretty time consuming. I personally use a single light gate that is interrupted by a carbon fibre section with two 'teeth' of equal width.

By measuring the output of the light gate, you will see the voltage change between zero and full scale when the beam is interrupted. By measuring either the width of one pulse or more preferably the time between the rising edges of two pulses and relating to the dimensions of the section, you can measure speed before impact.

2. By mounting an accelerometer on the trolley (preferably linearly in line with the centre of mass of the trolley and the axis of impact) you will measure acceleration versus time for the impact event. From this you can easily calculate the peak deceleration of the trolley and the average deceleration of the trolley.

What is more complicated (but often desired) is numerically integrating the deceleration signal: once to obtain velocity and twice to obtain displacement of the trolley, during the impact event. You can then plot the deceleration of the trolley against its displacement in the test; by converting the deceleration of the trolley to the decelerative force experienced (using Newton's Second Law) you will then have force-displacement data.

The light gate and associated circuit is extremely low cost and provides very good accuracy for the speeds you will probably be testing at (I seem to remember 14.1 ms-1). The accelerometer will require an amplifier, and you will need a storage oscilloscope or data logger to record the data.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Just out of curiosity - is this for a FSAE (or Formula Student) competition? I can tell you how we handled this problem when I was in school, using some fairly crude measurements and numerical simulation, if this is what you're looking for...

-Kerry

Ridiculously late responce, but actually yeah it is for Formula Student Kerry...
We've been struggling for ages now, and still haven't done any tests. We've been to all of the 'realistic' departments which would have impact testers...and despite have a few to choose from non of them are suitable.

One is for a sample milimeters in diameter (not enough honeycomb cells present)
One is drop weight tester with some weirdo dart fitting which goes straight through the holes in the honeycomb.
...and the last one has been broken since January and is far to similar to the previous one mentions.

Getting pretty silly now, but with January exams looming as well as individual project deadlines, we might have to go with the manufacturers ratings...which is a real shame seeing as we can't do our own tests so that all of the materials undergo the same method, under the same lab conditions.

look forward to hearing how you got around your problems Kerry...

Bert

Hello Bert,

We did some simple drop tests on a block of honeycomb and measured the displacement (plastic deformation) of the top face of the honeycomb. If you assume that the deformation happened at constant acceleration, you can get acceleration as a function of dissipated energy (weight * height * gravity). You can test different area and depth honeycomb blocks to see how acceleration is affected.

We took data from these tests and scaled it to make some plots and drive a rudimentary simulation in Excel. We were able to show (with questionable accuracy) that our impact attenuator met the specifications of the rules. How accurate is this method? Does the weight bounce when you drop it on the honeycomb? How much energy was actually dissipated by the block? You should be able to come up with a few more questions, but I think the theory is sound. Of course, the accuracy of the simulation is another area for things to go awry. Ours was definitely off a bit...

Hope this serves as a good starting point for you. Good luck!

-Kerry

p.s. What university are you from? My team (Drexel U. in Philadelphia) took the trip to Bruntingthorp in 2005 but I've heard that the venue is now Silverstone...

Related to Impact Attenuator-Experiment Design

1. What is an impact attenuator and why is it important in experiment design?

An impact attenuator is a safety device designed to absorb and reduce the impact force of a collision. In experiment design, it is important to have an impact attenuator in place to protect both the subject of the experiment and the equipment being used. This helps to ensure accurate and reliable data collection, as well as prevent any potential injuries.

2. How do you choose the appropriate impact attenuator for an experiment?

The appropriate impact attenuator for an experiment depends on various factors such as the type of impact force being studied, the speed of the impact, and the weight of the subject or object involved. It is important to carefully consider these factors and choose an impact attenuator that can effectively absorb and reduce the impact force.

3. What materials are commonly used in impact attenuator design?

Some common materials used in impact attenuator design include foam, rubber, and metal. Foam and rubber are often used for their ability to absorb and dissipate energy, while metal is used for its strength and durability. The specific type and combination of materials used will depend on the specific requirements of the experiment.

4. Can impact attenuators be reused or do they need to be replaced after each experiment?

Most impact attenuators can be reused multiple times, but it is important to regularly inspect them for any signs of wear or damage. If an impact attenuator shows any signs of wear, it should be replaced to ensure its effectiveness in future experiments. It is also important to follow manufacturer guidelines for the lifespan of the impact attenuator.

5. How do you test the effectiveness of an impact attenuator?

The effectiveness of an impact attenuator can be tested by conducting controlled impact tests with various speeds and weights. The results of these tests can be compared to determine the amount of impact force absorbed and reduced by the attenuator. It is important to regularly test and evaluate the effectiveness of an impact attenuator to ensure its continued safety and reliability.