Imaginary parts of roots of unity

In summary, when we take the product of the imaginary parts of all the n-roots of unity (excluding 1), we get n/(2^(n-1)). To prove this, we need to relate the nth roots of unity to the derivative of their defining polynomial.
hypermonkey2
Hi all,

What happens when we take the product of the imaginary parts of all the n-roots of unity (excluding 1)?
I read somewhere that we get n/(2^(n-1)).
How can we prove this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh, your problem statement is a little faulty, I think. Anyways, here is a neat derivation I learned awhile ago:

By DeMoivre, the nth roots of unity are given by

[tex]\varepsilon _k = \cos{\frac{2k\pi}{n} + i\sin{\frac{2k\pi}{n}},[/tex]

where k = 0, 1, ..., n-1. Geometrically, we can think of the roots of unity as the vertices of a regular n-gon inscribed in the unit circle.

Another way to think about this is to relate the roots of unity to the defining polynomial [itex] f(z) = z^n - 1 = (z-1)(z-\varepsilon)\cdot\cdot\cdot(z-\varepsilon ^{n-1})[/itex], where
[tex]\varepsilon = \cos{\frac{2\pi}{n} + i\sin{\frac{2\pi}{n}}.[/tex]

It is clear how this is related to the nth roots of unity given above. If we take the derivative of both sides the equation relating f(z) to the product of factors, we get [itex]nz^{n-1}[/itex] on the one hand, and on the the hand, we have [tex](z-\varepsilon)(z-\varepsilon ^2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(z-\varepsilon ^{n-1}) + \mbox{ sums each consisting of products which include the factor (z-1) }[/tex]

by the product rule. Consequently,

[tex]n = f'(1) = (1-\varepsilon)(1-\varepsilon ^2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(1-\varepsilon ^{n-1}).[/tex](***)

Now

[tex]1-\varepsilon ^k = 1 - \cos{\frac{2k\pi}{n} - i\sin{\frac{2k\pi}{n}}.[/tex]

By the pythagorean identity, [itex]\cos 2x = \cos^2 x - \sin^2 x[/itex], and [itex]\sin 2x = 2 \sin x \cos x,[/itex] this last expression is equal to

[tex]2sin^2{\,\frac{k\pi}{n}} - 2i\sin{\frac{k\pi}{n}}\cos{\frac{k\pi}{n}} = 2\sin{\frac{k\pi}{n}}\left(\sin{\frac{k\pi}{n}}-i\cos{\frac{k\pi}{n}}\right).[/tex]

Taking the modulus, we find that [itex]|1-\varepsilon ^k| = 2\sin{\frac{k\pi}{n}}[/itex] for k = 1, ..., n-1. Relating this to the equation at (***), we find a product that does give us n/(2^(n-1)), but it's not quite the product of the imaginary parts of the roots of unity.

Let [itex]1, z_1, \dots z_{n-1}[/itex] be the roots of unity.

We want to find :
[tex] \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{2i} (z_i - \frac{1}{z_i}), [/tex]
or
[tex]
\left(\frac{1}{2i}\right)^{n-1} \times (-1)^{n-1} \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{(1 -z_i)(1+z_i)}{z_i} .
[/tex]

Now, if [itex] P(z)=z^{n} -1 [/itex], then, for [itex] z \neq 1 [/itex]
[tex]
\frac{P(z)}{z-1} = \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} (z-z_i) = 1+z+z^{2} + \dots z^{n-1}.
[/tex]
Hence,
[tex] \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} (1-z_i) = \lim_{z\to 1} P(z)/(z-1) = n. [/tex]
Similarly,
[tex] \frac{P(-1)}{-2} = \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} (-1-z_i) = (-1)^{n-1} \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} (1+z_i).[/tex].

Hence,
[tex] \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} (1+z_i) = \frac{(-1)^{n-1}+1}{2}.[/tex].

And,
[tex] \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} z_i = (-1)^{n-1}. [/tex].

So I get the answer as:

[tex]
\left(\frac{1}{2i}\right)^{n-1} \times n \times \frac{(-1)^{n-1}+1}{2}.[/tex].

Related to Imaginary parts of roots of unity

1. What are imaginary parts of roots of unity?

The imaginary parts of roots of unity are the complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, result in a value of 1. These numbers have both a real and an imaginary component, with the imaginary component being equal to 0. This means that they lie on the real number line and have no vertical component.

2. How are imaginary parts of roots of unity used in mathematics?

Imaginary parts of roots of unity are used in many mathematical concepts, such as complex numbers, trigonometry, and Fourier series. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. These numbers provide a way to represent and manipulate both real and imaginary quantities in equations and calculations.

3. Are all imaginary parts of roots of unity equal?

No, not all imaginary parts of roots of unity are equal. The imaginary parts of roots of unity depend on the power to which the number is raised. For example, the imaginary part of the number 1 is equal to 0, but the imaginary part of the number -1 is equal to 0i. This means that the imaginary part of a root of unity can have different values depending on the context in which it is used.

4. Can imaginary parts of roots of unity be negative?

Yes, imaginary parts of roots of unity can be negative. This is because they can be represented by complex numbers, which have both a real and an imaginary component. The sign of the imaginary part depends on the quadrant in which the number lies on the complex plane. If it lies in the third or fourth quadrant, the imaginary part will be negative.

5. How are imaginary parts of roots of unity related to the unit circle?

Imaginary parts of roots of unity are closely related to the unit circle. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of the complex plane. The imaginary parts of roots of unity correspond to the y-coordinates of the points where the unit circle intersects with the real axis. This is because the imaginary part of a root of unity is equal to the sine of the angle between the point on the unit circle and the positive x-axis.