Heisenberg's matrix mechanics.

In summary, the energy level of the hydrogen atom are predicted by using Heisenberg's matrix mechanics. The commutation relations of the lenz vector with angular momentum are that of a vector operator, and the eigenvalues of the energy are found by replacing the Hamiltonian by its eigenvalues.
BlackBaron
How do you use Heisenberg's matrix mechanics to predict the energy levels of the Hydrogen atom?
Can anyone give me a reference (preferably something in the web) on that?

Is Heisenberg-Born-Jordan original paper available in the web? (preferably translated to english, spanish or italian).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy level of the hydrogen atom are used by using the lentz vector.
When you look at the kepler problem, since the potential (1/r) is a central potential, angular momentum is conserved. However, if you look at the classical solution of the bound states, the trajectory consists in an ellipse. The axis of this ellipse is conserved (corrections due to general relativity, for example, give a perturbation that make a precession of the ellipse). It is found that the Lenz vector is a conserved quantity. The Lentz vector is given by [tex]\vec{A} = {\vec{r}\times\vec{J}\over 2} + {\vec{r}\over r}[/tex]
(This is the vector for m = 1 and coupling constant = 1).

It is easily shown (not complicated but long calculation) that the commutation relations of the lenz vector with angular momentum are those of a vector operator (i.e. [tex][J_i,A_j] = \epsilon_{ijk}A_k[/tex], and the relation of the components of the Lenz vector are:
[tex][A_i,A_j] = 2i\epsilon_{ijk}J_kH[/tex] where H is the Hamiltonian. Since we are trying to find the states that are eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, we can replace in the comm. rel. the Hamiltonian by its eigenvalues. So that for each energy level, the comm. rel. between the angular momentum and the Lentz vector are closed and they form the generators of the so(4) algebra. One of the casimirs of the representations is identically 0, from the other you can find the values of the energy.

If you want, I can further develope the algebra for the eigenvalues of the energy.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:
Yep, you helped a lot.
I'll start working on it to see if what you tell me is enough.
If need anymore help, I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot

Related to Heisenberg's matrix mechanics.

What is Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics is a mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1925. It is one of the two main formulations of quantum mechanics, the other being Schrödinger's wave mechanics.

How does Heisenberg's matrix mechanics differ from Schrödinger's wave mechanics?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics and Schrödinger's wave mechanics are two different mathematical formulations of quantum mechanics, but they are equivalent and yield the same predictions for physical systems. The main difference is that Heisenberg's formulation uses matrices and operators to represent physical quantities, while Schrödinger's formulation uses wave functions.

What is the uncertainty principle in Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in Heisenberg's matrix mechanics states that the more precisely one knows the position of a particle, the less precisely one can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is a consequence of the non-commutativity of certain operators in Heisenberg's formulation.

How is Heisenberg's matrix mechanics used in practical applications?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics is used in various practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers and in the analysis of nuclear and particle interactions. It is also used in the calculation of atomic and molecular spectra, and in the study of the behavior of electrons in solid state materials.

What are the limitations of Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

One limitation of Heisenberg's matrix mechanics is that it does not account for the wave-like nature of particles, which is better described by Schrödinger's wave mechanics. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, which are important for high-speed particles. Additionally, Heisenberg's formulation is not as intuitive as Schrödinger's and can be difficult to visualize or apply to certain physical systems.