How Does Heisenberg's Matrix Mechanics Relate to Dirac's Notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses Heisenberg's matrix mechanics and its relation to Dirac's notation. It is mentioned that matrix mechanics was the first formulation of quantum mechanics and that Dirac's notation is based on the concept of an orthonormal basis and Hermitian operators. The conversation also suggests learning the math to fully understand these concepts.
Sophrosyne
I have been trying to read about Heisenberg's matrix mechanics on my own, and I am getting hopelessly lost. I understand it has something to do with anharmonic oscillators. I am no physicist, so please take it easy with the explanations.
Also, I read somewhere that these, along with Max Born's formulation of them into Matrix form, which were the inspiration for Dirac's notation later. Is there a relationship between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes bhobba
Sophrosyne said:
Also, I read somewhere that these, along with Max Born's formulation of them into Matrix form, which were the inspiration for Dirac's notation later. Is there a relationship between the two?

Of course.

And its easy in the Dirac notation, but without the math forget it.

The fundamental thing is given an orthonormal basis |bi> Σ|bi><bi| = 1.

Now one of the foundational axioms of QM is given any observable you can find a Hermitian operator O whose eigenvalues yi are the possible outcomes of the observation. Now associated with any eigenvalue yi is an eigenvector |bi> and it turns out they form an orthonormal basis (there are a few subtleties - but that is pretty much it). Just as an aside its really the only axiom - but that is a whole new thread where the beautiful Gleason's theorem is discussed.

So here is what happens. You simply insert Σ|bi><bi| = 1 twice - O = Σ|bi><bi| O Σ|bj><bj| = ΣΣ|bi><bi|O|bj><bj| = ΣΣ<bi|O|bj>|bi><bj|. <bi|O|bj> is called the matrix representation of O and it turns out for eigenvectors is diagonal.

If the above is gobbly-gook then I am sorry - there is no out - you must learn the math:
http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CQT/chaps/cqt03.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Related to How Does Heisenberg's Matrix Mechanics Relate to Dirac's Notation?

1. What is Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics is a mathematical framework developed by Werner Heisenberg in 1925 to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is one of the two major formulations of quantum mechanics, along with Schrödinger's wave mechanics.

2. How does Heisenberg's matrix mechanics differ from Schrödinger's wave mechanics?

While both formulations describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, Heisenberg's matrix mechanics uses matrices and operators to represent physical quantities and their corresponding equations, while Schrödinger's wave mechanics uses wave functions and differential equations.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This is represented by the commutation relation between position and momentum operators in Heisenberg's matrix mechanics.

4. How does Heisenberg's matrix mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics uses the mathematical framework of matrices and operators to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It provides a probabilistic description of particles, where the wave function represents the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

5. What are some applications of Heisenberg's matrix mechanics?

Heisenberg's matrix mechanics is used in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and solid state physics. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of quantum computers and electronic devices.