I'm Trying to Prepare for Nuclear Engineering

In summary, Daniel is a new member of PF and is preparing to graduate from Crowder College with a degree in Pre-Engineering. He will be attending Missouri S&T for Nuclear Engineering and is seeking advice on how to prepare for the program. He has a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering, but is looking for guidance on what additional knowledge he should have before starting his courses. He also wants to know what to expect from Missouri S&T and how to make the transition to a larger university.
TheNE
Greetings, Everyone!

My name is Daniel, and I just signed up for PF today! I felt it looked really cool, and that I would be wise to collaborate with peer engineers, and seek advice from them! I am preparing to graduate from Crowder College (In Neosho, MO), a 2yr school, with a degree in Pre-Engineering. My school has their "Pre-Engineering" program set up with Missouri S&T (Formerly UMR), to prepare local students seeking an engineering degree from Missouri S&T (and now UARK- Fayetteville). This is my last semester and I am graduating in less than 2 weeks! (sooo stoked by the way) I have all summer to prepare for my upcoming studies at Missouri S&T in Nuclear Engineering, and would like to take advantage of this time I have. I am enrolled in 15 hours this coming semester, and they are as follows:

NUC ENG 105 - Intro Nuclear Eng (2 Credits)
with:Lucas Tucker

NUC ENG 205 - Fund/Nuclear Engineering (3 Credits)
with:Ayodeji Babatunde Alajo

NUC ENG 206 - Reactor Operations I (1 Credit)
with:William Bonzer

NUC ENG 221 - Reactor Fluid Mechanics (3 Credits)
with:Gary Mueller

PHYSICS 107 - Intro To Modern Physics (3 Credits)
with:John Story

STAT 213 - Applied Engineering Stat (3 Credits)
with:n/a (undetermined staff member)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you have attended Missouri S&T (or UMR under the same professors), I would really appreciate any "pointers" you could send my way. Other than that, what should I prepare my self for exactly? I have Calcus 1 - 3 experience, Differential Equations, Physics 1 - 2, Statics (I am currently performing poorly in that class), Chemistry 1 - 2, Intro to C++ (A small taste of C++), and Introduction to Computer Aided Drafting (Novice level drafting in AutoCAD). What "foundations" should I build ahead of time? I understand that "Rolla" has a notorious reputation for being a tough school (is it revered as such amongst you guys?) and want to make the transition from a small community college to it as easy as possible. Thank you VERY much for the advice, and I look forward to the day that I actually become a Nuclear Engineer!

Physics news on Phys.org

Greetings Daniel,

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation and enrollment in a prestigious engineering program! It sounds like you have a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering already, which will definitely be beneficial in your upcoming studies. As a nuclear engineer myself, I can offer some advice for preparing for your program and making the transition to a larger university.

First and foremost, I would recommend brushing up on your calculus skills, as it is a fundamental tool for most engineering disciplines. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with basic principles of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics would also be beneficial, as these are important concepts in nuclear engineering. You may also want to review basic principles of nuclear physics, such as radioactive decay and fission, to give yourself a head start in your introductory nuclear engineering course.

In terms of the transition to a larger university, I would suggest reaching out to current students or alumni from Missouri S&T to get a better understanding of the program and any tips they may have. You can also try to get in touch with your future professors and ask for any recommended readings or study materials that you can start reviewing over the summer. This will give you a better idea of what to expect and help you hit the ground running when classes start.

Lastly, don't be intimidated by the reputation of Missouri S&T. Yes, it is a challenging program, but with hard work and dedication, you can succeed. Remember to take advantage of resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours to help you with any difficult concepts. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. Your professors and peers are there to support you and help you succeed.

Best of luck in your studies and future career as a nuclear engineer!

Related to I'm Trying to Prepare for Nuclear Engineering

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear energy in various areas, such as power generation, medicine, and space exploration. It involves the design, development, and operation of systems and processes that use nuclear reactions for practical purposes.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a nuclear engineer?

A nuclear engineer's job responsibilities can vary depending on their specific role and industry. However, some common tasks include designing nuclear reactors and power plants, developing safety protocols and procedures, conducting research and experiments, and managing nuclear waste disposal. They may also be involved in the maintenance and troubleshooting of nuclear facilities.

3. What skills are required to become a nuclear engineer?

To become a nuclear engineer, one must have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also crucial. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are important for working in a highly regulated and collaborative industry.

4. What are the educational requirements for a career in nuclear engineering?

Most nuclear engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some roles may also require a master's degree or a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering, particularly for research or academic positions.

5. What are the potential risks associated with working in nuclear engineering?

Working in nuclear engineering can involve potential risks due to the nature of handling nuclear materials and operating complex systems. However, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to minimize these risks. It is essential for nuclear engineers to follow these protocols and receive proper training to ensure their safety and the safety of those around them.